GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

timing belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 06:41 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you aren't near the service life than you can probably get away with not changing but if it were my car I would do it, better to just do it right the first time.

I was reading through some previous posts in this thread:

1. The timing belt on the Gs300 is NOT driven by the timing belt, not sure where that idea came from.

2. While the guys at your shop may have good intentions their advice of not changing the pump during a timing belt is foolish. First of all, the timing belt and waterpump are on the same interval. If you don't do the waterpump at the same time as the new belt you are going to have to pull it all back apart when you hit the service mark for the pump.

If the guys at your shop were knowledgable about the Gs and were trying to help you out they would have told you that you have to breakdown the whole front of the motor to get to the waterpump, you know, the thing your going to be doing when you do the belt. I am going to assume they probably have good intentions but aren't familiar with your car/lexus.

While it's nice to have someone in a shop around to give you advice ALWAYS take it with a grain of salt. I've been working on Toyota/Lexus for a considerable amount of time, but I wouldn't go around giving someone advice on servicing their Chevy Cavalier because I'm not familiar with everything about that motor, while I could tell you basic things about servicing it (such as your buddies are) I wouldn't tell someone not to replace a part "just because" when replacing that part requires a considerable amount of work to do on it's own. Get what I mean?
Old 02-20-09, 06:56 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by macd7919
If you aren't near the service life than you can probably get away with not changing but if it were my car I would do it, better to just do it right the first time.
I agree. The pump isn't horribly expensive, and since it's already off...

1. The timing belt on the Gs300 is NOT driven by the timing belt, not sure where that idea came from.
So the timing belt doesn't drive the timing belt?? :P JK, mang. I'm sure you meant that the water pump is not driven by the timing belt.

2. While the guys at your shop may have good intentions their advice of not changing the pump during a timing belt is foolish. First of all, the timing belt and waterpump are on the same interval. If you don't do the waterpump at the same time as the new belt you are going to have to pull it all back apart when you hit the service mark for the pump.

If the guys at your shop were knowledgable about the Gs and were trying to help you out they would have told you that you have to breakdown the whole front of the motor to get to the waterpump, you know, the thing your going to be doing when you do the belt. I am going to assume they probably have good intentions but aren't familiar with your car/lexus.

While it's nice to have someone in a shop around to give you advice ALWAYS take it with a grain of salt. I've been working on Toyota/Lexus for a considerable amount of time, but I wouldn't go around giving someone advice on servicing their Chevy Cavalier because I'm not familiar with everything about that motor, while I could tell you basic things about servicing it (such as your buddies are) I wouldn't tell someone not to replace a part "just because" when replacing that part requires a considerable amount of work to do on it's own. Get what I mean?
I agree. Familiarity with one does not mean anything to another. I think he's asked for (and gotten) good advice. If he chooses to take it, all the better...

Big Mack
Old 02-20-09, 06:59 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i completely understand, and trust me i do take what they say with a grain of salt, (they are all ford and GM ppl lol) but at the same time are very knowledgeable about cars in general. I just dont really have the money to do the pump at this time, and i really dont mind (actually i like to) working on my car, so if in 10-30000 i have to replace the pump...thats fine with me
Old 02-23-09, 09:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD911
dont forget the thermostat...

BP

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
I just dont really have the money to do the pump at this time, and i really dont mind (actually i like to) working on my car, so if in 10-30000 i have to replace the pump...thats fine with me
yeah but what if it's in 1000-5000 miles then u redoing the exact same fix preston. if u dont have the $ right now wait a week or 2 and get the cash and do it all right then. if for nothing else some peace of mind