GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

timing belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 11:31 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt tensioner?

is it necessary to replace the timing belt tensioner when changing the timing belt? if not...any signs to tell whether or not it should be replaced?
Thanks
Old 02-18-09, 03:33 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I had the tensioner fail on my 1992 Cressida. I had changed the belt three times and never changed the tensioner. Well after about 460,000km the tensioner broke apart and the belt fell off. There were no indications that there was an impending failure before it actually happened. When I took everything apart, I found that the bearings had fallen out. Probably becasue the bearing race had worn itself out to the point that the bearings would no longer fit the housing. Lucky for me the 7M motor is non-interference and all that happened was that it stopped running. I towed the car home and fixed it back up with a new belt and tensioner a couple of days later.

I don't plan to take such a risk with my GS4 being an interference fit motor.
Old 02-18-09, 03:45 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

ok...but is it recommended when the belt is replaced? (according to the dealer?)
Old 02-19-09, 10:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

y not call YOUR dealer and ask them what they recommend. see even when that guy gives you a little help or his opinion (he's saying no point in taking the risk) you complain that it didn't SPECIFICALLY answer you.....or u could search and see where we have talked bout this 2 4 other people bout this in last week bout how even if its not required,y wouldn't you do it while your in there? the part is cheap and since everything it already out of the way, cheaper on labor than not doing it and it failing two weeks later and having to open her back up and do the same labor again(i do think its recommended if i recall). n since im sure your not gonna appreciate my response or answer if your just gonna go ape like normal please don't even bother answering me
Old 02-19-09, 12:07 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

lol and you call me "internet psycho"...anyways I don't see how my response was complaining...i guess i should have typed... "Thanks for your input, it was greatly appreciated...do you know what the dealer recommends? (not that I don't trust your judgment, but in the automotive industry, I see a lot of parts getting replaced that don't really need to be). personally i thought "ok" summed that up, lol but I guess you just think every dot I type is complaining or negative. ya know, ive stopped making new threads b/c i get a post from you, complaining about it, and i bet if i had typed what i said i should have, you would have complained it was 2 long! lol anyways i dont really care, i just dont really see why you care so much what i post.
Old 02-19-09, 12:09 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

and for the record, i dont mean the above post to be read in a mean way or w/e...so i wasn't being "ape like" lol thats actually kinda funny...more original than "internet psycho"
Old 02-20-09, 08:28 AM
DreadGS430
Driver School Candidate

you should change everything in that area; tensioner, water pump, crank and cam seals, and bearing
Old 02-20-09, 09:06 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

what bearing? and the water pump isnt that hard to get 2...i can do that later/when it goes out since i do everything myself. but i am getting the tensioner
Old 02-20-09, 10:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

on our v8's preston the water pump is better off doing while your in there... unless your doing your own labor (im lazy....well busy more so than lazy plus i got a great mechanic) for me its just worthwhile to do EVERYTHING while your there. your right alot of people do change unneeded parts and thats myself including....its for piece of mind

dread said it right...just change everything in there ONCE and be done with it
Old 02-20-09, 02:48 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
on our v8's preston the water pump is better off doing while your in there... unless your doing your own labor (im lazy....well busy more so than lazy plus i got a great mechanic) for me its just worthwhile to do EVERYTHING while your there. your right alot of people do change unneeded parts and thats myself including....its for piece of mind

dread said it right...just change everything in there ONCE and be done with it
I would not have it any other way. Change it all.. dont forget the thermostat...

BP
Old 02-20-09, 03:10 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

lol...well that might be fine for ppl that want to be super secure, but im in a shop full of trained technicians, and im taking their advise on what i should/shouldn't replace. a water pump going out really isnt a big deal...its just most ppl dont know the difference..and one day they happen to see their temp gauge at the top...and then get it fixed later, and thats when they have to replace lots of stuff lol anyways i got my package today with the pulley and tensioner, and lo and behold the tensioner wasn't in there!!! it was on the packing list but not in the box....i really do have the worst luck...lol i have to admit tho..its way better than the turbo..lol (i really think they just forgot to put it in the box)
Old 02-20-09, 03:29 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
lol...well that might be fine for ppl that want to be super secure, but im in a shop full of trained technicians, and im taking their advise on what i should/shouldn't replace. a water pump going out really isnt a big deal...its just most ppl dont know the difference..and one day they happen to see their temp gauge at the top...and then get it fixed later, and thats when they have to replace lots of stuff lol anyways i got my package today with the pulley and tensioner, and lo and behold the tensioner wasn't in there!!! it was on the packing list but not in the box....i really do have the worst luck...lol i have to admit tho..its way better than the turbo..lol (i really think they just forgot to put it in the box)
Wow.. I am in aww.. What is the name of your shop so we all avoid it... well just so you know the water pump on the Toyota/Lexus V8 is spun by the timming belt. So if the pump goes bad, never mind over heating, you will basicly have to rework all the parts that you just replaced inorder to replace the water pump. So why not spend the 75 dollars and just replace it while your in there. I am guessing from your name you like FORDS.. These cars are nothing like them. What you would think is the water pump is nothing more then a "fan" bracket. The tensioner is hydrulic and will most likely be okay.

Good luck.

BP
Old 02-20-09, 03:44 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

lol...first off this is a 10 yr old screen name i just kept, i hate fords now..lol and i have the 300...so yea...its not really a big deal on our car...fyi my shop is awesome
Old 02-20-09, 04:54 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DO NOT reuse the tensioner if the car is due for a timing belt.

If you reuse the tensioner and it is not up to par you will have issues. It doesn't have to completely fail to give you erratic performance. About four years ago I ran into an issue with my Supra that would cause inconsistent performance, mostly in first and second gear. It would sometimes hit a false limiter etc... replaced the tensioner and never ever had the problem again. When the car would rev quickly in lower gears the load was enough to cause the tensioner to compress causing the issue mentioned above. Do yourself a favor and replace it, it's only $70 new from the dealer.

As a tip, if you put it in and don't position it correctly you will need to remove it and recompress it, use a vise but don't just crank away at it, go nice and slow compressing it.

Besides that, do the timing belt, front main seal, cam seals and valve seals if you feel like removing the cams. If your car is due for the timing belt service you might as well throw a water pump in the mix, when you order the water pump there are two o-rings that go on the "neck", make sure you order them as well so you aren't left in the middle of the job without the parts. The old o-rings are notorious for leaking once you remove them. Also get the additional gaskets for where the thermostat/pump etc...meets the block.
Old 02-20-09, 05:04 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

i think the problem is that my car is not at its scheduled time for a timing belt yet....but my cam seals were leaking, and its been long enough that the belt needs to be replaced b/c the oil has started to deteriorate the belt. so basically im fixing the cam seals but doing the belt while im at it, im not trying to see how much i can spend in the mean time

Quick Reply: timing belt tensioner?