GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine Visably Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 09:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
cl911m just took 10.1% off of an engine mount and clublexus code just took off 12.1% off an engine mount.
ok cool....did u get the tranny mount also?
Old 02-23-09, 05:35 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
ok cool....did u get the tranny mount also?
I got both engine mounts and the tranny mount replaced at Toyota dealer today. $220 in labor and they even drove me to work after I dropped the car off . Let me tell you...this was the issue, the car is butter smooth. The tranny mount was the most shot that I have ever seen, period... It's surprising that I didn't break anything else with how bad it was. Car is incredibly responsive now and there is no more shaking. Point blank, the car is acting like a Lexus... The motor mounts were in terrible shape, but not as bad as the tranny mount. Definately what you would expect after 108K and 8 years. Thanks everyone for their help...

Lesson learned : Never forget about those mounts on these V8 Lexus cars...
Old 02-24-09, 12:58 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmmmmm I should definitely look into this... especially before my front strut bar cracks my intake plenum... I'm nearing that wonderful 100k mark soon... but i guess theres a lil less motion on the 2jz's...
Old 02-24-09, 01:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Feels like a new car doesn't it?
Old 02-24-09, 01:35 AM
burma
Pole Position

Glad to hear its smooth now. How was it to drive before?? did you get vibrations in the pedals and when you rest your foot on the floor could you feel some vibrations? I have those symptoms and Its really bugging me and i still have to replace the lower ball joints....arghh there goes my money for coilovers.
I have a GS300 and if im not mistaken the 2JZ-GE weighs only a few kilos less than the V8 so i think it applies to all GS owners.

Last edited by burma; 02-24-09 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 04:19 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by burma
Glad to hear its smooth now. How was it to drive before?? did you get vibrations in the pedals and when you rest your foot on the floor could you feel some vibrations? I have those symptoms and Its really bugging me and i still have to replace the lower ball joints....arghh there goes my money for coilovers.
I have a GS300 and if im not mistaken the 2JZ-GE weighs only a few kilos less than the V8 so i think it applies to all GS owners.
When the car was idling, I could feel vibrations slightly in the floor, but you'd have to be looking for it. Also, it could be felt on the side of the center console and door panels. It wasn't over the top like one expects when the mounts are shot...I'm assuming that part was coming later if I continued to drive it. The car used to have a slight hop inbetween shifts but now it drives like a new car. The car is responsive, shifts can't be felt and engine noise is down tremendously. The engine was moving alot doing the typical motor mount tests as well..
I think the indy shop was convinced it wasn't the mounts because they're used to people bringing in them when they're way behind on done. You know, when it's blatently obvious. (Yeah I just tried to defend them lol).. I didn't get strong vibrations in the pedal but you could definately tell there was an engine running when touching the pedal and that is very un-lexus like.
I only made the if you have a v8 Lexus comment because I don't know much about the 2jz other than about the motor. I know the weight is very much simular but am unfamilar with mounting set up..
For the time it would take one to do the tranny mount themselves (there's a DIY on here), I think it would be beneficial to just do it anyway.

I also forgot to add that, at idle vibrations could be felt in the steering wheel but again not what you would expect when the motor mounts are SHOT SHOT...

Last edited by Rippaflow; 02-24-09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 05:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The vibration may go away once the rubber gets a bit softer. Mine took about a week or so before my steering wheel was 100% free from vibration.
Old 02-24-09, 05:24 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

The vibrations are gone now lol. I was refering to before, answering burma's question. Car is vibration free now, except for speed. That's a different story. Already did the Tie Rods/lower BJs... Time to start looking at other 100K GS suspension woes lol.
Old 02-24-09, 09:32 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

dang....no vibrations yet, but im gonna be doin this shortly im sure
Old 02-24-09, 04:13 PM
burma
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
The vibrations are gone now lol. I was refering to before, answering burma's question. Car is vibration free now, except for speed. That's a different story. Already did the Tie Rods/lower BJs... Time to start looking at other 100K GS suspension woes lol.
cheers for the reply, im happy now that it'll be smooth after the mounts are changed....

yea lol hope there no more suspension woes so we can spend the money on mods
Old 02-24-09, 04:23 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burma
2JZ being an Iron block actually weighs more than the 1/3uz. The 2jz long block is said to be around 500 lbs, where as the aluminium 1/3uz comes in at a little less than 400 lbs. Please since it is a straight 6, it doesn't produce the same type of tortional force as the v8.
Old 03-07-09, 12:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

how difficult is it to do it yourself? (engine mount) from 1-10
Old 03-07-09, 12:46 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

got the motor mount for 148 from ebay ( a pair)... should have used live.com and save 8%

I've been forgetting to use live so many times...costing me a lot of money. Just to remind you guys to not forget too.
Old 04-03-09, 10:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok so im thinking of tackling these myself....yes all 3, the 2 engine mounts and the tranny mounts

does ne1 know of a DIY? i searched and no luck...only one i found was for the sc400 and im not sure it will be the same

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...d-or-auto.html
Old 04-03-09, 12:40 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i just checked my by power braking it..have a buddy in handy tho, put it in drive and have your foot on the brake and quickly gas it... see if the motor mounts jump then its bad.. put it in reverse... same thing applies then replace them... easy as that

Quick Reply: Engine Visably Shakes