GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help me figure out this noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 04:28 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me figure out this noise

Ok for about 2 years now I've been hearing this terrible squeak coming from what sounds like the front suspension. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the front suspension.

It used to be only in cold weather and over large bumps in the road. Now it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, and it is non-stop while I'm driving. It sounds like rabbits F***ing on an old bed. I can hear every time the spring expands or contracts a tiny bit. It is LOUD and embarassing. It sounds like the struts are about to fall apart.

Sounds like this except it's my front suspension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFgc2WMDaA

I thought it would be the sway bar for sure, so I took the bushings off and saturated them with silicon grease then re-installed --- didn't work.

When I push up and down on the front of the car, I don't hear anything accept a very quiet click, nothing like the sound I hear while driving.

From 0-50mph, the sound is very noticeable. I can't hear anything when I'm running about 75mph on the interstate.

What could it be?

Last edited by Ckroush; 02-25-09 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 04:42 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like either your rotors, brake pads, or your suspension. Go to MIDAS, and have them check. Might be your ball joint!
Old 02-25-09, 04:50 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Originally Posted by UncleRay
Sounds like either your rotors, brake pads, or your suspension. Go to MIDAS, and have them check. Might be your ball joint!
A guy at Tire Kingdom told me that my strut mounts were bad, but I think they were just trying to sell me something I didn't need, since I was only there for an oil change. It doesn't sound like strut mounts does it? I'd think that would be more of a clunk sound.

If it's my ball joints I'm going to be pissed. I've only put about 1500 miles on them.
Old 02-25-09, 04:52 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be anything to be honest. Go around to a couple of shops, and see what they say.
Old 02-25-09, 10:36 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ckroush
A guy at Tire Kingdom told me that my strut mounts were bad, but I think they were just trying to sell me something I didn't need, since I was only there for an oil change. It doesn't sound like strut mounts does it? I'd think that would be more of a clunk sound.

If it's my ball joints I'm going to be pissed. I've only put about 1500 miles on them.
You know, I figure that could be true. I changed my struts/shocks to KYBs after 5000 miles later I hear them making noise front and back. It squeaks when going at low mph. I think when they changed my struts/shocks, they probably didn't change the strut mounts.
Old 02-25-09, 11:00 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

By saying strut mounts are you guys referring to top hats? If so than it is a possible culprit.
Old 02-25-09, 11:09 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the top hats.
Old 02-25-09, 11:21 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ckroush i have the same darn noise!

Mine is definetly comming from the front driver side.

It's at low speeds say 15~40. usualy when the car is cold.

Here the kicker it goes away imediately after you tap the breaks. as soon as you step off the breaks the noise comes back.

Now I was suspecting obviously something with the rotors or break pad wear sensors.

I just had at full front brake jobs including new rotors and pads and the @!$#%@% noise is still there!

Told the mechanic to check it again. They did found nothing wrong with the breaks on all 4 corners.

Bearings?

squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....
Old 02-25-09, 11:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alexulan

Here the kicker it goes away imediately after you tap the breaks. as soon as you step off the breaks the noise comes back.

Now I was suspecting obviously something with the rotors or break pad wear sensors.

I just had at full front brake jobs including new rotors and pads and the @!$#%@% noise is still there!

Told the mechanic to check it again. They did found nothing wrong with the breaks on all 4 corners.

Bearings?

squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....squeek....

Same problem here.... I know how you feel. ANNOYED!
Old 02-26-09, 10:07 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also had this problem.... What I did to fix it was:

Turn the wheel all the way right and jack up the car properly using jack stands etc. Get under the wheel and look for this metal cover that is behind the rotor... Hit the bottom of the wheel to see if the noise is coming from there and if it is, literally bend the metal backing (not to much) just push on it to shift the metal a little bit. Hit the bottom of the tire again, see if it still makes that noise.... Hopefully that helps! It did for me....

-Joe
Old 02-26-09, 10:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm thinking it's the top hat. I have the same problem as of now, but I haven't fixed it yet because I can live with it. It was very apparent when I drove in 20-30 degree weather, but as soon as it got hot, the problem went away.

Most of the time, if the noise varies with temperatures, its most likely rubber/urethane related. The colder the temperature, the harder the rubber gets (which is why summer performance tires are not ideal in snow, because they get too hard). If the top hat was truly the culprit, then it's getting old. Ever try to use an old pink rubber eraser? Due to age, it gets hard on the surface. Your rubber parts are no different.
Old 02-26-09, 10:25 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Originally Posted by alexulan

Bearings?

No it's definately not the brakes and I doubt it's bushings or the shield behind the calipers. It's not a rhythmic squeak like every rotation of the wheel. It's every time the suspension moves up or down.

I've PMed GSteg before about this problem and like he said on here, it might very well be the Rubber Top Hat. Is there any way to find out if this is indeed the problem without paying Lexus $60-$70 to tell me.

If it is the top hat or spring insulator, whatever, how much are we talking about? I assume we're looking at a good bit because there is so much labor involved.

I've also heard things about loose bolts on the subframe or subframe bushings. Possibility?

Last edited by Ckroush; 02-26-09 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-02-09, 08:36 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jamodeo
I also had this problem.... What I did to fix it was:

Turn the wheel all the way right and jack up the car properly using jack stands etc. Get under the wheel and look for this metal cover that is behind the rotor... Hit the bottom of the wheel to see if the noise is coming from there and if it is, literally bend the metal backing (not to much) just push on it to shift the metal a little bit. Hit the bottom of the tire again, see if it still makes that noise.... Hopefully that helps! It did for me....

-Joe
Well my noise is solved. It was the metal shield behind the caliper. It was the back caliper not the front though. I have been squeek free for a few days now.

I was able to just bended out a little with a wooden stick through the opening in the RIM. No need to jack it up or anything!

Thanks JOE! and Thank You Clublexus!
Old 03-02-09, 08:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Too bad that's not a fix for me My brake shield is already bent to accommodate the LS400 calipers