GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Does your battery die?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 11:05 AM
vbacky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your battery die?

I have a 01 GS430 and If I don't start my car for a day or two ( if i get lucky) the battery dies and I have to jump start it. I was just wondering if all 2GS has the same problem.
Old 03-04-09, 11:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No. It's not a common problem. Do you have accessories in the car?

Are you sure your batteries are fine? Once a lead acid batteries does multiple deep cycle discharges, it's no longer at its full potential anymore. This may be the case of having a bad battery.
Old 03-04-09, 11:20 AM
drksyde
Driver

yea, your battery might be bad or your car is taking up a charge somewhere. My car's battery is always taking charge of my capacitor. If you don't want the hassle of worrying about your battery dieing and that you don't drive it often... you should invest in Battery Tender... it will always charge your battery and once it reaches peak, it will keep it in a floating state so you never have to worry about over charging it. its a great investment for those who don't drive the car everyday.
Old 03-04-09, 01:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

nope....no battery problems...will know for sure in bout a week though as im going to florida for a week and car will be sitting but my yellow top optima hasnt let me down yet (knock on wood)
Old 03-04-09, 02:42 PM
Emil
Pole Position

i never had any,till my car was used to jump another car with mine turned off,and if i dnt use it now it dies in 2 days
Old 03-04-09, 02:50 PM
HAWAI'I
Rookie

I am having issues with my truck. It dies after two days of not being used. It's actually dead right now. I need to replace that battery, Is there a tool that monitors your battery charge and cut off all power if battery is being drained when not in use?!?
Old 03-04-09, 03:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, when your battery dies and you jump start it, do you actually put the battery on a charger once you get home to charge it? It can take about a week to fully charge a battery using the cars alternator only. If you are just driving around town and home after the jump, your battery has never gotten close to being fully recharged (Also keep in mind once the battery fully discharges, usually under about 10.4V it will never be able to charge to its full capacity again). If full was 100%, it may now only be able to charge to 96%. A car battery that is not a deep cycle cattery can only survive perhaps 3-4 full discharges before it becomes practically useless. Each full discharge will shorten the batteries life as well as capacity.
Old 03-04-09, 03:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAI'I
I am having issues with my truck. It dies after two days of not being used. It's actually dead right now. I need to replace that battery, Is there a tool that monitors your battery charge and cut off all power if battery is being drained when not in use?!?
Yes, those circuit breaker things you attach to the batter, then the battery terminals attach to it. It will trip the circuit breaker if the battery voltage gets too low (Above what is considered a full discharge to protect the battery and also allow you to start the car once you reset the circuit breaker.

The best thing you can do if you don't drive your car often is hook it up to a battery tender or maintainer. Some of them you can attach the pigtail to the cars battery, then when you want to hook it up you just uncoil the pigtail and plug it into the battery tender. When not in use just coil back up the pigtail and tuck it away out of sight.
Old 03-04-09, 03:14 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Red Top Optima and I can go about 10 Days during the Winter season here in Utah... I also, never lock my car anymore in the garage, did that once, it die and I had to jump it and the security horn scared the crap out of me, it's hella loud when you are standing next to it with the hood up...
Old 03-04-09, 03:17 PM
drifterjer
Driver School Candidate

happened twice 2 me after car was sitting for a few days. replaced battery and have had no problems since.
Old 03-04-09, 03:34 PM
drksyde
Driver

Originally Posted by HAWAI'I
Yes, its called battery tender.
Old 03-04-09, 08:27 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an issue with my 430, check the battery terminals and make sure they're clean with no corrosion the positive battery terminals like to corrode on toyota. It's a cheap little guy to replace is that is your issue. Otherwise, goodluck.
Old 03-04-09, 08:40 PM
vbacky
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
No. It's not a common problem. Do you have accessories in the car?

Nope. my car is still original lol.

Are you sure your batteries are fine? Once a lead acid batteries does multiple deep cycle discharges, it's no longer at its full potential anymore. This may be the case of having a bad battery.
Well the previous owner went to get me a new battery from lexus before I bought the car and he told me that I have to start my car everyday or the battery will die. I have bought a new battery myself and it still hasn't solved the problem.

Originally Posted by drksyde
yea, your battery might be bad or your car is taking up a charge somewhere. My car's battery is always taking charge of my capacitor. If you don't want the hassle of worrying about your battery dieing and that you don't drive it often... you should invest in Battery Tender... it will always charge your battery and once it reaches peak, it will keep it in a floating state so you never have to worry about over charging it. its a great investment for those who don't drive the car everyday.
How can I find out the source of it?

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Well, when your battery dies and you jump start it, do you actually put the battery on a charger once you get home to charge it? It can take about a week to fully charge a battery using the cars alternator only. If you are just driving around town and home after the jump, your battery has never gotten close to being fully recharged (Also keep in mind once the battery fully discharges, usually under about 10.4V it will never be able to charge to its full capacity again). If full was 100%, it may now only be able to charge to 96%. A car battery that is not a deep cycle cattery can only survive perhaps 3-4 full discharges before it becomes practically useless. Each full discharge will shorten the batteries life as well as capacity.
Nope I didn't put the battery on a charger but I was told that if I drive around for an hour it should be fully charge.

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I had an issue with my 430, check the battery terminals and make sure they're clean with no corrosion the positive battery terminals like to corrode on toyota. It's a cheap little guy to replace is that is your issue. Otherwise, goodluck.
It's clean and no corrosion...Thanks for the support ppl much appreciated but I think I should go see a mechanic or the dealership. Ill keep u guys posted if you guys want.
Old 03-04-09, 09:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you have any accessories hooked up to the car?
Old 03-04-09, 09:27 PM
vbacky
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
Do you have any accessories hooked up to the car?
Unless an alarm counts for one then nope.

Quick Reply: Does your battery die?