GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Signal Flasher relay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 05:35 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Maybe this can help identify the problem with the confirmation blinkers when locking the doors. For all you electronics gurus...out there...

Pete

This helps a LOT Pete !

There is some missing info, but if I spent some time probing the wires, I might get those answered.

The BIG problem is those wires are waaaay back there and not easy to probe.

The second is I already gave up on this and went to resistors, so I have little incentive now to figure this out.

I have an LSD to swap out this week and and instrument cluster mod to do after that. So this relay thing is no longer at the top of my list, but I'll look into this at my leisure and perhaps I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-25-09, 04:29 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
rich, i've seen that post...but i dont wanna lose it...i just dont want it there when i install some bulbs....im **** bout stuff working like it was meant to work what can i say
we are all **** about our cars, thus the popularity of these threads. If you dont want to lose the indicator light then I guess you can install resistors but not sure if the bulb goes out the light will still come on. I think if you are worried about losing the indicator light then its not a good idea to install the LEDs.
Old 03-25-09, 10:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
So I just want to clarify / verify.

The bulb out warning light in your dash Only Triggers when your brake light is burned out.

Burned out turn signals DO NOT trigger the warning light. That is the REASON for the Hyperblink to tell you the bulb is burned out. If you use either the relay or the resistors you will loose the hyperblink feature and you will not know if your turn signal bulb is out.

If you go to LED for your brake lights, the warning light WILL go on. The fix again is to use resistors then the result is the same. You will have defeated the purpose of the bulb out indicator by fooling it to think the bulb is good. If you have LED tails, a quality set of LEDs should last the lifetime that you own the car. It's not the end of the world if a brake light does go out, since you still have the other side plus the third brake light working. Hopefully a nice peace officer will eventually notify you of a bulb out condition.

Instead of playing with the BananaGS mod or any resistor mod, just remove the Bulb Out Indicator Light out of the dash and try to not loose any sleep over it.

If you must be ****, then I guess you won't be using LEDs.
hahaha...naw glen im gonna go for the LED bulbs...i guess when i do i'll either remove the bulb from the cluster or cut the wire

I have an LSD to swap out this week and and instrument cluster mod to do after that.
ohh glen what cluster mod you doin?

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
we are all **** about our cars, thus the popularity of these threads. If you dont want to lose the indicator light then I guess you can install resistors but not sure if the bulb goes out the light will still come on. I think if you are worried about losing the indicator light then its not a good idea to install the LEDs.
no rich im not worried about losing the indicator light...per se..im more concerned with having a annoying light on, on my dash 24-7.i just dont wanna cut a wire. think i'll just remove the bulb, seems to be the simplest solution for me
Old 03-25-09, 10:48 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by sakataj
hahaha...naw glen im gonna go for the LED bulbs...i guess when i do i'll either remove the bulb from the cluster or cut the wire

ohh glen what cluster mod you doin?

no rich im not worried about losing the indicator light...per se..im more concerned with having a annoying light on, on my dash 24-7.i just dont wanna cut a wire. think i'll just remove the bulb, seems to be the simplest solution for me

HEY ALL

So as much as we are deviating off topic, curiosity has me looking into this issue a bit further.

I am checking with friends who own a Toyota and Nissan who have OEM LED tail lights.

The question I have to them is "DO THEY HAVE A BULB OUT INDICATOR?". It seems possible that car manufacturers could find a way to tell you if an LED bulb is out, but does that make sense?

Also would they need to have a sensor to tell you when each individual LED went out? That's a lot of circuitry and expense, and I would question the real benefit.

Lastly, if they are using quality LEDs, the concept should be that the LEDs will last the lifetime of most cars, so a "bulb out" indicator serves very little value.

Ok so my question is "Do any cars that have OEM LED tails have a "light out" indicator?"

I should find that answer on the Toyota and Nissan shortly. After that I'll see who I know that owns a Cadillac.

Anyone else have feedback on OEM LEDs, that would be good as well. Then again, maybe we should start a new thread.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-25-09 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 11:09 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

sucks but I haven't gotten my relay yet. It my be sitting at the other house, who knows.

I'll check back
Old 03-25-09, 11:48 AM
Rick James
Driver

HEY ALL

So as much as we are deviating off topic, curiosity has me looking into this issue a bit further.

I am checking with friends who own a Toyota and Nissan who have OEM LED tail lights.

The question I have to them is "DO THEY HAVE A BULB OUT INDICATOR?". It seems possible that car manufacturers could find a way to tell you if an LED bulb is out, but does that make sense?

Also would they need to have a sensor to tell you when each individual LED went out? That's a lot of circuitry and expense, and I would question the real benefit.

Lastly, if they are using quality LEDs, the concept should be that the LEDs will last the lifetime of most cars, so a "bulb out" indicator serves very little value.

Ok so my question is "Do any cars that have OEM LED tails have a "light out" indicator?"

I should find that answer on the Toyota and Nissan shortly. After that I'll see who I know that owns a Cadillac.

Anyone else have feedback on OEM LEDs, that would be good as well. Then again, maybe we should start a new thread.

Hmmmmmmmmm. So would a Toyota\lexus with OEM LED's have a relay that would work in our cars? That is the question....................
Old 03-25-09, 12:23 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Rick James
Hmmmmmmmmm. So would a Toyota\lexus with OEM LED's have a relay that would work in our cars? That is the question....................
Very good question.

I just checked with Toyota and this IS their PN below, but the Sales rep told me the PN was superceded with the PN 81980-02030

In any case I asked for the price and he said it was $59.95 !!!

Dunno where V-LEDs or E-Bay sellers are sourcing this part from , but the dealer price is just crazy.

PS - This new PN "may" have the fix we need for the emergency flashers and possibly the alarm flash to work, but I'm not about to pay over $60 to find that out.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-25-09 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 06:04 AM
Rick James
Driver

Lets see if we can get a list of Toyota\Lexus cars that have OEM LED's and I\we can do a parts search on that relay.
Old 03-26-09, 08:30 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

sounds like a plan. maybe a dealership can let us "borrow" a few parts....
Old 03-26-09, 09:18 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by excluesive
sounds like a plan. maybe a dealership can let us "borrow" a few parts....
If you find a friend with a Toyota/Lexus that has OEM LED tails you might be able to pop their relay out to test it.

Remember though that we're specifically looking for LED turn signals not brake lights. Though it's worth trying any relay to see what happens.
Old 03-26-09, 11:33 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

I PM'ed a member that works in parts at a dealer (not his specific job title but nonetheless), he was able to shed a little light...

Well, I don't know much about LED lights at all but I do know that the 98-00 GS's use 81980-53020 (old # 81980-50020) & the 01-05 GS's use 81980-02030 (old # 81980-50030). I checked the RX330's because they have LED tails but not LED blinkers and they also use the 81980-53020. Same as the older 2Gen GS's.
definitely still some hope for me atleast... maybe we can contact the guy on ebay to see if he has, or is able to get, the 81980-50020 replacement relay.

Chris

Last edited by excluesive; 03-26-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-26-09, 02:21 PM
RMMGS4

I PM'ed a member that works in parts at a dealer (not his specific job title but nonetheless), he was able to shed a little light...

definitely still some hope for me atleast... maybe we can contact the guy on ebay to see if he has, or is able to get, the 81980-50020 replacement relay.

Chris
Chris,
I believe the PN you are looking at ( 81980-50020 ) is what came on my car stock. I'll try to check when I get home.

The relay that replaces the one that we ordered is PN 81980-02030. That's the relay I would want to test. If I see that exact PN in my friends new Toyota, I'll try to remove it and test it.
Old 03-26-09, 03:42 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Chris,
I believe the PN you are looking at ( 81980-50020 ) is what came on my car stock. I'll try to check when I get home.

The relay that replaces the one that we ordered is PN 81980-02030. That's the relay I would want to test. If I see that exact PN in my friends new Toyota, I'll try to remove it and test it.
Looks like I wrote my sentence incorrectly. I meant to say not all hope is lost for you. Maybe they make the LED ready relay for 81980-50020. It sounds like your original suspicion was correct, that there are two different relays for 98-00 and 01-05.

The PN on the ebay (and VLED) relay matches the part number for the 01-05 GS - 81980-02030 (old # 81980-50030), it STILL hasn't come in yet to test.
Old 03-26-09, 03:48 PM
RMMGS4

The PN on the ebay (and VLED) relay matches the part number for the 01-05 GS - 81980-02030 (old # 81980-50030), it STILL hasn't come in yet to test.

Did you see your PayPal transaction confirmed?

Might be time for some negative feedback.
Old 03-26-09, 05:45 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Did you see your PayPal transaction confirmed?

Might be time for some negative feedback.
Yeah I think so, he responded a couple of days ago, I think it was sent last Thursday. I got it from something "warden" I heard many people dealing with him, not sure what's up.

Edit - he got back to me today. The part was shipped the 19th, but is being shipped from HK.

Quick Reply: Signal Flasher relay?