GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Regular maintenance items that you check to keep your car in top shape?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 04:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regular maintenance items that you check to keep your car in top shape?

I cleaned the MAF sensor on my car today and plan to do the throttle body at some point as well, but both of these things got me thinking about what other maintenance items we can do to keep our cars running smooth.

I am not talking about maintenance like brake pads, oil changes or flushes, but other "little" things that we can do here and there on our own to keep our cars in top shape.

I have seen some people say that they run octane boosters to help flush out the system every now and then, but haven't researched it much.

Also, I have seen some members talk about switching out spark plugs- what are the pros and cons of this? And what brands are best?

What other little tips do you guys have?
Old 03-10-09, 07:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

If your throttle body use cables, then you can clean it. If it is Throttle By Wire, then clean it with rags, don't spray chemicals or else you will kill the sensor. GL!
Old 03-10-09, 07:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Run fuel injector cleaner (I like Lucas myself).

Check spark plugs to see if yours are still good..though it's better if you do that while cleaning your TB because you have to take it out in order to replace a few plugs.

Can't really think of anything else at the moment.
Old 03-10-09, 07:53 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Run fuel injector cleaner (I like Lucas myself).

Check spark plugs to see if yours are still good..though it's better if you do that while cleaning your TB because you have to take it out in order to replace a few plugs.

Can't really think of anything else at the moment.
How do the fuel injector cleaners work? Just pour it in the gas tank? Where do you buy them...pep boys or something?

Also, what are the spark plugs that members here have seen power/efficiency increases with? I have read a few different things but haven't gotten a conclusive answer.

Thanks
Old 03-10-09, 08:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

On a GS300, just stick with OEM plugs. Denso or NGK Iridiums are highly recommended.

You can find Lucas almost anywhere. I bought a quart for $10 at Walmart. The instruction says to use 2-3oz per 10 gallon. I on the other hand..ran my tank all the way near empty, dumped maybe 1/4th of the bottle in, and then poured 3-4 gallons of gas in. Actually I think I may have ran an even higher concentration. But you'll noticed a lot of smoke coming out of your tail pipe for a while a few days. My car idled smoother and fuel economy jumped a few mpg just because my injectors were somewhat clogged. Don't run high concentration with any other cleaners. Once in a while, put in 4-6oz for every tank as maintenance.

If you do plan to do this...do it before your spark plug change.
Old 03-11-09, 07:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

On a GS300, just stick with OEM plugs. Denso or NGK Iridiums are highly recommended.

You can find Lucas almost anywhere. I bought a quart for $10 at Walmart. The instruction says to use 2-3oz per 10 gallon. I on the other hand..ran my tank all the way near empty, dumped maybe 1/4th of the bottle in, and then poured 3-4 gallons of gas in. Actually I think I may have ran an even higher concentration. But you'll noticed a lot of smoke coming out of your tail pipe for a while a few days. My car idled smoother and fuel economy jumped a few mpg just because my injectors were somewhat clogged. Don't run high concentration with any other cleaners. Once in a while, put in 4-6oz for every tank as maintenance.

Thank you sir!
Old 03-11-09, 08:03 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

planning to do my plugs over the weekend, just bought some injector cleaner, top engine clean, air filter, maf cleaner, and tp cleaner as well.. hoping this will change up my MPG..lol

part number for 2G 300 is

(Denso) 90919-01196 - or PK16TR11 (My choice of plugs)
$10 each from the dealer or can be purchase @ your local AZ or Kragen i think...

(NGK) BKR5EKP11
Old 03-11-09, 08:45 AM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My injectors were getting pretty damn loud, so I dumped a small bottle of the Lucas fuel injector cleaner and it really quieted them down. I improved my mileage by about 1.5 mpg too! I guess the injectors were pretty clogged.
Old 03-11-09, 09:17 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

learn something new from GSteg thanks !
Old 03-11-09, 09:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lucas Fuel System Treatment is a very good product. You can see & feel immediate results from using the product. I use it after every oil change in all of my vehicles.. I use a spent Lucas fuel injector bottle and fill it with fresh Lucas Fuel System Treatment to get an accurate 6 ounce measurement.

On another note, Gsteg for maintainence mod! You are always around to help others & know your stuff to boot
Old 03-11-09, 10:00 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
How do the fuel injector cleaners work? Just pour it in the gas tank? Where do you buy them...pep boys or something?

Also, what are the spark plugs that members here have seen power/efficiency increases with? I have read a few different things but haven't gotten a conclusive answer.

Thanks
As GSteg mentioned stick with the oem plugs. I actually swithed to the Torque Master plugs which through previous (not mine; I believe member Mean gene) back-to-back dyno results yielded a 5-6whp increase with these plugs alone. The only con to these plugs is that they don't last as long (maybe 3-4 years) and cost about $12.50/ea. Not sure if they make them for the GS3 though...

A preventative maintenance that I just did was replace all spark plug with a fresh set of TM plugs and bought all new Denso oem O2 sensors. The O2 sensors may have been overkill but if you have any vehicle that is 7+ years old (or over 100K mi.) it wouldn't hurt to replace them for top efficiency. I paid around $80/ea (I replaced all four of mine) at sparkplugs.com. Price isn't that bad considering the dealer (Carson) wanted $240/ea!

Good luck!
Old 03-11-09, 02:02 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

On this page, under "Premium" I see three different plugs by Denso. Which ones are best?

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1416596

Thank you
Old 03-11-09, 02:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Of the 3 plugs, only 2 of them are Iridiums. The middle one is platinum. I know my GS4 came with OEM iridums, but I'm not sure about the GS300.

In any case, IK vs SK iridiums...

The IK are suppose to be the 'performance' oriented plugs. They aren't rated for long life since their electrode tips are only 0.4mm, making it one of the smaller tips on the market. SK plugs are designed around the OEM plugs (wouldnt be surprised if they are actually OEM). With a 0.7mm tip, they're suppose to last longer than the IK.

I'd go with the SK if I had to choose between the Densos. Most likely you'll see no performance difference between the two, but the extended life is an added bonus.

The NGK Iridiums are just as good, but a whole lot cheaper. NGK and Denso are the two most trusted brands for import so you can't go wrong with either one
Old 03-11-09, 02:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

GSteg,

I really appreciate all of your helpful insight on maintenance matters. Thanks again
Old 03-11-09, 02:54 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I cleaned the MAF sensor on my car today and plan to do the throttle body at some point as well, but both of these things got me thinking about what other maintenance items we can do to keep our cars running smooth.

I am not talking about maintenance like brake pads, oil changes or flushes, but other "little" things that we can do here and there on our own to keep our cars in top shape.

I have seen some people say that they run octane boosters to help flush out the system every now and then, but haven't researched it much.

Also, I have seen some members talk about switching out spark plugs- what are the pros and cons of this? And what brands are best?

What other little tips do you guys have?
As noted here by several members, Lucas' fuel treatment is a good product. Chevron fuel system treatment is another product I use too. May I also suggest what we talked about earlier is dropping a K&N air filter perhaps if you don't want the whole cold air in-take thing.

Quick Reply: Regular maintenance items that you check to keep your car in top shape?