GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Paint PEELING on my new LExus!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 11:33 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I know.. I know. But the fact of the matter is that I was told time and time again, "this thing is mint, NO incidents, just like new, we don't sell damaged cars, yada yada yada". Then come to find out it has been hit and repaired, I was being lied to! I know its buyer beware and I should have had it looked at by a body shop but being 2.5 hours away in the middle of now where how was i going to find a quality body shop>>?
So I am just venting.
i could tell you right off the bat that front bumper cover was re sprayed at on time or another. and it was not a good job! even though lexus paint isnt the "best" i have ever seen; factory paint would not just start to peel for no reason.
Old 03-19-09, 04:40 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I received a quote today from http://www.abraauto.com/.

Its $497 for a repaint of the whole bumper (complete removal, sanding, paint) with a life time warranty against his work. I think this place seems reasonable. Shop was clean, guy was straight up, and I even negotiated a little off.

hummm front bumper painted OR S&S headers i was planning on ordering Friday..

Wish me luck..
Old 03-19-09, 04:44 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
You could paint it yourself. You would need to study up and learn how and buy a sprayer, primer, paint, clearcoat, and air compressor but it would still most likely be a good deal cheaper then repainting the whole bumper and you would be able to paint other parts if you need to because you have the supplies and know how.
Yea.. someday I want to. For now I live in a condo and even though we have some room in the parking garage, dont think the assocation would like me to tape off a little booth.
Old 03-19-09, 04:53 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
I know.. I know. But the fact of the matter is that I was told time and time again, "this thing is mint, NO incidents, just like new, we don't sell damaged cars, yada yada yada". Then come to find out it has been hit and repaired, I was being lied to! I know its buyer beware and I should have had it looked at by a body shop but being 2.5 hours away in the middle of now where how was i going to find a quality body shop>>?
So I am just venting.
I understands you're just venting, and hope after the repaint your car will be to your liking.

But to play the devil's advocate, everyone need to realize that dealers don't know exactly what was the history of the cars they sell.
The previous owner could have caused and repaired the damage and not told anyone. Even then, dealers often buy up leases at dealer-only cars auction from all across the country, basing their knowledge on the auctioner's grading and official reports and perhaps not even seeing or looking at the car themselves.

If you got the statement info from a single owner private party then I think you have a better argument that you were maliciously misled.

Buying a car from a dealer, you've got to know that the salesman didn't personally drive the car for the past x years and xx,000 miles, and is just going by the documentation he has. I think it's somewhat unreasonable for them to be able to detect the repair, if the paint was proper and you yourself couldn't detect anything wrong until you pressure washed it. As-is means As-is. If you get one with warranty then you know the dealer is standing behind the car.

If the carfax says no accidents, the salesman's not going to make sales by saying: "yea carfax says no accidents, but you know, you can't trust that thing, this car probably has some hidden damage somewhere".

Just like the financial crisis where mortgages are repackaged, recertified, and resold all around the world, so it is with lease returns and used cars

Last edited by raytseng; 03-19-09 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-20-09, 12:03 AM
jacksonvp
Pole Position

Don't have a ratty car that goes fast. Get the bumper repainted...
Old 03-29-09, 03:10 AM
cgarofalo1
Driver School Candidate

When you get it repainted.....get a clear bumper bra on the entire front end or ur wastin your cash on the repaint. The 2nd paint job will not stand up to stones, salt etc like the OEM paint job. It will cost 400-500 but plan on making that part of the cost of the job.