GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

CEL Codes....what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 10:18 AM
Ladyt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes

I also had a P0446 code. I changed the gas cap then later got codes P0430, P0441, and P0446. My mechanic wants to replace the canister without looking at the car. But I want them to look for a bad hose first before I pay for a new canister. I've looked under the hood but don't see any visable bad hoses. Any help?
Old 07-21-09, 10:26 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

purge valve.... gotta manually activate it open or close with a dvom
Old 07-21-09, 10:37 AM
Ladyt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Codes

I'm gonna do a search for location of the purge valve and see if that helps.
Old 07-21-09, 12:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

The purge line for the V8 is located on the driver's side valve cover. You will see a line with a green cap. Make sure the condition of the line is fine. GL.
Old 07-24-09, 01:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

oops just saw this....be sure to track back your lines and make sure no dry rotted hoses like i ended up having
Old 02-03-11, 10:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Default Well 2/3/11 new cel

awesome got the dreaded p0430 CEL last night so mainly this is to anyone who has had the P0430 AND permanently fixed it.i had it cleared this morning and will wait to see if it comes back on BUT after reading all these threads. the bolded items are what i am asking or have ?'s about

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ght-p0430.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...converter.html

also dug this old one up

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...elp-p0430.html

which linked me to this, which seems to be very resourceful and not just for what im using it for

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-sensors.html

this thread was one i didnt see anyone suggest, the code was for a bad spark plug?is this plausible?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...dtc-p0430.html

i have a few questions...it seems most people have a few different ways to go about checking for the solution and the first thing everyone says is its a bad cat but have read a few people who replaced them and it didn't go away so i wish to avoid this mistake especially since i don't smell the rotten egg smell yet and it doesn't seem like mileage or performance has dropped off.

-check for leaks (didnt see anyone say where the leak would be at though)
-Open or short in oxygen sensor circuit,check O2 sensors (it seems everyone says post O2 to check, so would that bank 2 sensor 2?)
-Catalytic Converter gone
-Oxygen sensor heated beyond normal temperature

(per a suggestion from john, gs4_fiend i need to try the tapping test and then find out if my shop has a pyrometer i can use)
-Use a rubber mallet and lightly tap the cat and hear if it's rattling inside. If yes, the honeycomb is broken inside.
-Use a pyrometer and check the temperature of the inlet and the outlet. The outlet is suppose to be 10%+ hotter than the inlet. This method is a very efficient test.

while reading CPMD'S thread he said this is how he got his fixed and since his was in warranty thats cool but im not

Originally Posted by cpmd
They replaced the front exhaust, cat, and 3 gaskets.
i dunno i want to spend that much $, i mean its atleast gonna be $1000 im sure even if i did it myself

i also looked at TruPlaya26's fix from this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...the-rocks.html

would this actually work? i though the 3rd can on the gs430 wasnt actually a cat? IS IT?

ALSO this old thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...er-o2-sim.html

which referred me to this

http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php...products_id=10

would a O2 sim work here if its a bad cat? also wouldnt it eventually run the other O2's? i assume my CEL light would still work?
Old 02-03-11, 11:09 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Brian, good research on the CEL code...my CEL with that code has been off ever since they replaced my cats. I'm guessing the leaks would be near the o2 sensors, but not sure. If that was the culprit, that would be a very cheap fix for throwing off the CEL. Maybe take it to a muffler shop and have them look.

Yes, the 02 sensor is the bank 2 sensor 2, and it is very easy to change (you have to remove the pass flooring to get to it, but there is a good DIY on here for that). I would change this out first with a plug and play Denso 02 sensor, clear the code, and see if it comes back. Tip, make sure you heat up that 02 bung, even then you may end up ripping the bung out, and will have to get it rewelded on.

If the CEL comes back on after changing the 02 sensor, it means your cats are bad and needs to be changed. I don't blame you not wanting to spend the money on OEM cats, but maybe have an exhaust place put in aftermarket cats for you? Hope this helps man.
Old 02-03-11, 11:28 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Brian, have you turned on your car and felt around for leaks? The place to check would be at the flanges right after the cat and before the downstream oxygen sensor. If you feel air coming through there, that's your problem. I had a leak back in December and it caused my CEL to turn on. Had Sewell check the code for me and claimed it was a bad catalytic converter and wanted to replace all of the oxygen sensors as a precaution. They wanted $2700 from my wallet...

Went to my local Autozone and found some muffler/pipe leak sealant. Applied some to the leak, let it dry, then drove around for a few minutes. To my amazement, the CEL turned off! Hasn't come back on since and it's been over a month. If you don't wanna go the cheapo route that I took, have your gaskets replaced at any muffler shop.

Hope this helps.

Note: I have a 98 GS4 with 137k on the ticker.
Old 02-03-11, 12:10 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpmd
Hey Brian, good research on the CEL code...my CEL with that code has been off ever since they replaced my cats. I'm guessing the leaks would be near the o2 sensors, but not sure. If that was the culprit, that would be a very cheap fix for throwing off the CEL. Maybe take it to a muffler shop and have them look.

Yes, the 02 sensor is the bank 2 sensor 2, and it is very easy to change (you have to remove the pass flooring to get to it, but there is a good DIY on here for that). I would change this out first with a plug and play Denso 02 sensor, clear the code, and see if it comes back. Tip, make sure you heat up that 02 bung, even then you may end up ripping the bung out, and will have to get it rewelded on.

If the CEL comes back on after changing the 02 sensor, it means your cats are bad and needs to be changed. I don't blame you not wanting to spend the money on OEM cats, but maybe have an exhaust place put in aftermarket cats for you? Hope this helps man.
yeah as much as i complain bout people NOT searching you know i have to search

i guess IF it pops back on i will take it to a muffler shop first

i was planning on changing all 4 O2's when i did my PPE headers so maybe i will just do them all then....

if i put aftermarket cats in would i still get a CEL for the now more unrestricted exhaust gas running through them?

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Brian, have you turned on your car and felt around for leaks? The place to check would be at the flanges right after the cat and before the downstream oxygen sensor. If you feel air coming through there, that's your problem. I had a leak back in December and it caused my CEL to turn on. Had Sewell check the code for me and claimed it was a bad catalytic converter and wanted to replace all of the oxygen sensors as a precaution. They wanted $2700 from my wallet...

Went to my local Autozone and found some muffler/pipe leak sealant. Applied some to the leak, let it dry, then drove around for a few minutes. To my amazement, the CEL turned off! Hasn't come back on since and it's been over a month. If you don't wanna go the cheapo route that I took, have your gaskets replaced at any muffler shop.

Hope this helps.

Note: I have a 98 GS4 with 137k on the ticker.
i did read where you did this....are we talking about the area near the 3rd cat....
so you have where it goes from the headers to the cats on each side then to a y pipe where a 3rd cat is and then out to the dual exhaust?

so you mean where it forms the y pipe to check for leaks? you just jack the car up and slide under it or what?i swear i though i heard either the gs400 or the gs430 doesnt have a 3rd cat and the third one is something else but people mistake it for a cat?

thanks you 2
Old 02-03-11, 12:13 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

To clear things up, the GS400 has a pre-muffler and the GS430 has a cat. I have no idea about the GS300.

My leak was at the flange on the y-pipe BEFORE the two pipes come together. Basically right after the bank 1 cat. Just lay on the ground and put your hand near it when the car is cold and you just start it. Obviously don't do this while the pipes are hot. You know the rest of the story...
Old 02-03-11, 12:47 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

To clear things up, the GS400 has a pre-muffler and the GS430 has a cat. I have no idea about the GS300.

My leak was at the flange on the y-pipe BEFORE the two pipes come together. Basically right after the bank 1 cat. Just lay on the ground and put your hand near it when the car is cold and you just start it. Obviously don't do this while the pipes are hot. You know the rest of the story...
?? visually challenged here...

essentially it looks like this

)---(

with the red being the headers
the green being the middle section with the 3rd cat
and the purple being the exhaust canister section

MAYBE you can take this pic i borrowed and edit them to put a arrow in and show me where you felt the leak?

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Old 02-03-11, 12:54 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Tried my best. That's where I could feel exhaust leaking.

Old 02-03-11, 12:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Tried my best. That's where I could feel exhaust leaking.

thats a fine job, ty....BUT that would be bank 1 sensor 2....

i have a code for bank 2 sensor 2 so i guess i will feel around on the other side
Old 02-03-11, 01:00 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
thats fine, ty....BUT that would be bank 1 sensor 2....

i have a code for bank 2 sensor two so i guess i will feel around on the other side
Hey, I was showing where I felt the leak! Yes that's bank 1.
Old 02-03-11, 01:32 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Hey, I was showing where I felt the leak! Yes that's bank 1.
i know, just breaking your *****. thanks for the modified pic

Quick Reply: CEL Codes....what to do...