GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

please help me sourcing the leather....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 03:18 PM
irshad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me sourcing the leather....

hi i want to reupholster the interior of my fathers car. where can i get the leather hide?
dont tell me leatherseats,katskin,etc.
i want just the leather hide.
Old 03-29-09, 03:00 AM
cgarofalo1
Driver School Candidate

You can have anything reupholstered>>>>In your home town some guy will take the seats out and strip it and do it. It costs a ton. My parents spent 10K on a love seat and sofa.
Old 03-30-09, 11:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cgarofalo1
You can have anything reupholstered>>>>In your home town some guy will take the seats out and strip it and do it. It costs a ton. My parents spent 10K on a love seat and sofa.
they shoulda just bought another love seat and sofa for 10k
Old 03-30-09, 12:53 PM
jdpaysnoe
10th Gear

Whatever leather you decide to buy just make sure it is automotive grade and do not buy the cheapest end of automotive grade because you will be sorry. Leather comes in at least three different grades; automotive, furniture, and clothing/accessory grade. Clothing is generally the thinnest and will rip in no time at all (with the exception of a few really expensive clothing manufacturers, but still not recommended for daily use). Furniture is a bit better, but there is no clear coat or top coat to the leather so with the heat and sunshine it will see, you will have cracking and other problems in no time at all.

If you are building a show car that you will hardly ever drive then any leather will do, but if you are building a daily driver or a car that will be out in the elements a lot and not in your A/C garage then get automotive grade. Not trying to plug the company that I work for, but LeatherSeats.com does sell raw hides of automotive grade leather. Thats one source that I can vouch for having raw automotive grade leather that you can buy.

The other way to look for materials is to look locally at upholstery supply shops. There are about a million different colors, finishes, etc available in leather and most upholstery supply shops will have a ton of samples books to look at in person. Good luck...

J