GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crank pulley holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 12:39 PM
drstrangel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank pulley holder

Hey does anyone have a crank pulley holder I can borrow / rent. I'm looking to do my timing belt in the next week. Let me know. I'm located in Seattle. Thanks.
Old 03-19-09, 12:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Autozone should have it.
Old 03-19-09, 02:13 PM
drstrangel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the local autozone they only have a pulley remover. I need the holder so that I can get the crank bolt off.
Old 03-20-09, 07:17 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have fun with that! That bolt is on there very tight.
Old 03-20-09, 08:56 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think jeff has one
Old 03-20-09, 11:24 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need one.

Get a chain wrench and some thick rubber tubing from the auto parts store.Slice the tubing down the middle, and slide it over the chain then zip tie the ends. Once you do that just put it over the crank pulley and have someone hold it while you use a breaker bar and a extension pipe to break the bolt free. The rubber will prevent any damage to the threads of the crank pulley. I would also have torch handy so you can heat up the bolt nice and hot before yanking on it but you may not need it.
Old 03-21-09, 10:46 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember, after you get the crank bolt loose, you'll need a pulley puller
Old 03-21-09, 12:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
remember, after you get the crank bolt loose, you'll need a pulley puller
Not necessarily
Old 03-21-09, 12:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
You don't need one.

Get a chain wrench and some thick rubber tubing from the auto parts store.Slice the tubing down the middle, and slide it over the chain then zip tie the ends. Once you do that just put it over the crank pulley and have someone hold it while you use a breaker bar and a extension pipe to break the bolt free. The rubber will prevent any damage to the threads of the crank pulley. I would also have torch handy so you can heat up the bolt nice and hot before yanking on it but you may not need it.
1) I would not torch that bolt. Heating will change the properties of the metal, and thats not what you wanna do the pulley or the bolt.

2) The chainwrench mether is rather difficult, plus most chain wrenches don't come in sufficient diameter.
Old 03-21-09, 01:33 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Not necessarily
pulley pullers are a free rental at autozone, so why not. better than wasting strength and time on pulling out the crank pulley by force and risk damaging it.

Last edited by ElitistK; 03-21-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-21-09, 02:08 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the proper one from toyota, but because the bolt is so tight those did not even work. I used a breaker bar and just cranked the car quickly to get it loose. I do not recommend this method for those who dont know what they are doing.
Old 03-21-09, 03:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
1) I would not torch that bolt. Heating will change the properties of the metal, and thats not what you wanna do the pulley or the bolt.

2) The chainwrench mether is rather difficult, plus most chain wrenches don't come in sufficient diameter.
Actually it won't change the properties of the metal. The bolt would have to be baked at a specific temp for a specific time and then quenched. The time period that torching the bolt would be happening wouldn't get the bolt up to temp for long enough to change properties (grain structure). If anything it would harden the bolt anyways, I have a whole report I did on the effects of heat/time Vs. Brinell hardness and the resulting strength properties using a Tineus-Olsen if anyone cares to read about it (though I would think it might be quite the boring read, lol).

The chain wrench is easy to find, I bought mine at Harbor Freight for about $15, it was an off the shelf item. You can try to use a breakerbar and bump the starter, that is usually about 50/50 for me, I have had that work on some cars but on my personal car it didn't budge the bolt. If you try that method and are comfortable with it you should try to have a jumpbox or if all else fails another car (running) hooked up to your car so you have 100% of the needed amperage available for the starter as it is going to need everything it can get. Also, only bump the starter for a second, don't hold it, just hit it for a second and let go, if it doesn't work after a few tries it's most likely not going to work at all.

As far as a pulley puller, it would be a good idea to have one handy. There isn't much space between the pulley and the radiator/condensor so you are very limited to how much leverage you have. You can *try* to stick a breaker bar between the pulley and the timing belt cover but it is plastic and unless you get lucky it won't provide the leverage you will need to move the pulley (and you risk cracking your cover). As a tip, the bolt threads on the crank pulley are not a standard thread so whatever bolts come with your puller are most likely not going to fit into the holes unless you make them. Do yourself a favor and go by a Fastenel (sp?) with the car and grab a few bolts of different lengths to use with your puller or else you are going to be cursing when you go to pull it off after have the bolt loose and don't have the proper bolts to do it (you can't get them at Home Depot/Lowe's etc... either). You can try a "claw" puller but those are a pain to use and 90% of the time will just bend the claw arms before they start moving the pulley so I wouldn't waste my time on those.

Btw: WHEN YOU PULL THE PULLEY OFF DON'T LOSE THE KEYWAY!!! (little thing that looks like a halfmoon, most of the time it sticks to the crank but sometimes it will just fall off). Don't forget to remove the timing belt guide before pulling the belt, little guide held on with 1 10mm bolt so it doesn't get bent. There are some tips for you

Last edited by macd7919; 03-21-09 at 03:18 PM.