GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best mod I ever did since owning my GS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 08:40 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this seems weird but I am interested. Someone take some pics plz.
Old 03-28-09, 02:47 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Will this work on the 400 as well? and how often will I have to do it?
Old 03-28-09, 03:12 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ri-lex - i think you just unplug it once... ? i'll take pics when i do it later tomorrow.
Old 03-28-09, 10:47 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If the steering system is designed to be power assisted won't removing the power assist cause undue stress on some components that may not have been designed to operate constantly under non power assist and cause them to possibly wear out or break faster? I may want to try this but don't want to do it if it creates more then normal wear and tear on steering components. The steering in the GS is light and pretty uncommunicative but then again the car just is not a great handling car or inspires much confidence with all the body lean in the corners so the weightier steering would be best suited once the suspension has been tightened up and the car is made to handle better. Funny how much of a world of difference it is driving my parents 08TL and my GS. The 08TL has nice weighted BMWish steering that almost feels as if it is non powerassisted and there is very little lean in the corners, it is a very nimble fun to drive car.
Old 03-28-09, 02:37 PM
kit cat

alright, I took apart the steering column and found no brown box on my GS400.

I did run a search through CL and found this thread though...no pix though.

Originally Posted by 400DGRZ
Installed the L-Tuned ECU this weekend and reset the engine ECU, since it hadn't been done before in my current GS.

Installation was pretty easy once I figured out exactly what I needed.

1st step was to take off the lower plate below the steering column. (2 bolts(philips) and 1 clip and 1 hidden clip)

2nd step was two take out 2 bolts on the upper cover below the steering column. I couldn't manage to get the bolt off below the ignition (key) hole.

3rd step was unplugging the old ecu and using a 3/8 DR socket wrench w/ 10mm head to take of the bolt that holds the ecu in place(I pulled back the upper cover, left side, for vision).

4th step was plugging in the LT ecu. I used my hand to twist the bolt back on the ecu and into its mount, and tightened back with the 3/8 DR socket wrench.

5th step just put on the panels.

Probably 20 min. if you know what your're doing. Pretty simple.

As far as "feel" of the LT ecu, there is a noticeable difference. Probably a better word would be "subtle". Yes, the higher the speed, the more noticeable. Overall I give it a thumbs up! Now I just need to get my LT suspension installed!

Wow, the perkiness I gained back from resetting my engine ecu still amazes me!
also...I realize this is for a GS300 but I see no steering ECU on the exploded diagram....

Last edited by kit cat; 03-28-09 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-28-09, 07:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't know what long term effects this may have, but I can't see any. The hydraulic steering rack is should still be receiving the same amount of pressure and force to move it whether it be by an electric motor assist or by human muscle.

For those that can't find the steering ECU here is a pic I took today. I labeled the foot brake for reference. You can also see the blue connector wire I disconnected from the steering ECU hanging next to the brownish color ECU.

Old 03-28-09, 08:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Chris, this is awesome. A week ago I was really searching hard on how to get the damn steering to be heavier. Some guy added a resistor to a connector that leads to the power steering pump. I was thinking why not just disconnect the steering ECU instead. Low and behold you posted this thread. I will try it and see how it works. I'm installing my Daizen control arm bushings tomorrow so maybe I might just get the BMW steering with this combo. Thanks for the review!
Old 03-28-09, 09:05 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know what would be sweet...install a switch so you can turn the power steering on/off...that way you have the best of both worlds
Old 03-28-09, 09:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Run the switch here:

http://app.tabblo.com/studio/stories...favs&navuser=1

Instead of a switch, I'm going to try adding a dial in the form of a potentiometer. I want to adjust my steering until it's perfect.
Old 03-28-09, 10:18 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
you know what would be sweet...install a switch so you can turn the power steering on/off...that way you have the best of both worlds
Actually I thought that would be a great idea when I tried this mod on my old SC400 a couple years ago with so so success. My idea was only concept and I never got around to doing it since the ECU removal mod didn't work that great on the SC. Anyway, I thought of putting an MPH activated relay switch that would disconnect the steering ECU at about 10-15MPH. That way you'd have full power assist for parking, but a firmer steering feel for basically all other driving conditions. You would have to tap into the speed sensor and what not, but I never researched it much further than that. If someone can put together a switched system like this that would be perfect.
Old 03-28-09, 11:34 PM
kit cat

can anyone with a GS400 confirm this? I took the dash apart again and I really don't see it...
Old 03-28-09, 11:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I'll check my car tomorrow. I do remember seeing something familiar when I ran wires under there.
Old 03-29-09, 12:54 AM
kit cat

I don't see it....GS400 btw.

Last edited by kit cat; 03-29-09 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-29-09, 02:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

I don't see it....GS400 btw.
Wrong angle. It would be higher up in the dash. The GS400/GS300 has to have it. If owners were replacing their steering ECU's with the L-Tuned ones back then, it has to have one. Otherwise the L-Tuned Steering ECU wouldn't have existed back then

You have to look back up in the dash almost like you are looking back in the direction toward the drivers AC vent.
Old 03-29-09, 06:51 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Wrong angle. It would be higher up in the dash. The GS400/GS300 has to have it. If owners were replacing their steering ECU's with the L-Tuned ones back then, it has to have one. Otherwise the L-Tuned Steering ECU wouldn't have existed back then

You have to look back up in the dash almost like you are looking back in the direction toward the drivers AC vent.
found it! but it wasn't brown, it was a blue box for me for some reason.

I drove around with the ECU unplugged and to be honest, I think it needs some tweaking. If you're used to the NA1, yeah it might work for you. But at 0-5mph range, it feels like you have NO power assist. Parking does require a lot more power. But once you're going, it's great. It doesn't handle any better but I think it does give the delusion of the car steering more directly.

If we can develop some sort of speed sensitive module or to turn it on once you go below 5mph, I think it'll be great.
Attached Thumbnails Best mod I ever did since owning my GS430-img_5359.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best mod I ever did since owning my GS430