GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Had some work done to the car yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09 | 07:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Default Had some work done to the car yesterday...

Since I keep my car maintained religiously I decided to opt out of the normal 75K service and put together my own list of little things to do:
  • Full drain and refill transmission fluid with AMSOIL ATF
  • Power steering flush with AMSOIL ATF
  • Spark Plug Replacement
  • Throttle body cleaning
  • Rotate and Balance
  • New wiper inserts

Clearly the last two aren't very exciting but the first four really made a difference in the car. Two weeks ago I cleaned the MAF sensor and also did the fuel injector cleaner which made difference, and now after these most recent items I can really say that the car feels like it is running as new.

I always thought my tranny shifted like a warm knife through butter as-is but the AMSOIL really makes a significant difference. In normal driving I honestly almost dont even feel the shifts...I can just hear them. It's borderline CVT-ish and really is smoother than with the Toyota fluid. I haven't driven aggressively or with E-shift yet (raining in ATL...as usual) so I'll have to see how that feels.

My power steering fluid was almost black before, and was a tad low, which is why I chose to have the flush with AMSOIL ATF. I am not sure if it's the AMSOIL or the fact that it's filled again but my car drives feels a little better than before. There is a tad more weight to the steering at low speeds which I like...I know this seems impossible or improbable but it does seem slightly different.

The main difference I feel with the spark plugs is just smoothness. I would guess that after 73K the old plugs weren't working as well as they should have but my engine now seems a tad smoother than before. Like I said above, the weather here has been rainy so I haven't really gunned it or driven aggressively since I got the car back so I can't comment on any improvement in acceleration though I would guess it would be negligible, if at all.

Throttle body cleaning made a big difference IMO. The car idles a lot smoother and actually lower than it did before. My car idled at about 900 RPMs before and now seems to idle at 700RPMs or so. Acceleration seems a bit smoother as well which could be a result of the spark plugs, or this, or both.

All in all...I am very happy with these little maintenance changes. After cleaning the MAF sensor, doing the fuel injector cleaner, new spark plugs, and a throttle body cleaning it is surprising how smooth the car is compared to before. The 2JZ is already a benchmark for smoothness but getting some of the carbon cleaned off the intake system and replacing the spark plugs really made a difference in idling and acceleration feel. The AMSOIL ATF really complements the engine maintenance by offering nearly imperceptable, butter smooth shifts.

I highly recommend the AMSOIL as well as doing some of the maintenance to your intake system. I am getting the SRT Intake installed sometime soon and am glad to have gotten the rest of this taken care of before I do that. Anything to get the ole' 2JZ breathing easier
Old 04-01-09 | 12:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Since I keep my car maintained religiously I decided to opt out of the normal 75K service and put together my own list of little things to do:
  • Full drain and refill transmission fluid with AMSOIL ATF
  • Power steering flush with AMSOIL ATF
  • Spark Plug Replacement
  • Throttle body cleaning
  • Rotate and Balance
  • New wiper inserts

Clearly the last two aren't very exciting but the first four really made a difference in the car. Two weeks ago I cleaned the MAF sensor and also did the fuel injector cleaner which made difference, and now after these most recent items I can really say that the car feels like it is running as new.

I always thought my tranny shifted like a warm knife through butter as-is but the AMSOIL really makes a significant difference. In normal driving I honestly almost dont even feel the shifts...I can just hear them. It's borderline CVT-ish and really is smoother than with the Toyota fluid. I haven't driven aggressively or with E-shift yet (raining in ATL...as usual) so I'll have to see how that feels.

My power steering fluid was almost black before, and was a tad low, which is why I chose to have the flush with AMSOIL ATF. I am not sure if it's the AMSOIL or the fact that it's filled again but my car drives feels a little better than before. There is a tad more weight to the steering at low speeds which I like...I know this seems impossible or improbable but it does seem slightly different.

The main difference I feel with the spark plugs is just smoothness. I would guess that after 73K the old plugs weren't working as well as they should have but my engine now seems a tad smoother than before. Like I said above, the weather here has been rainy so I haven't really gunned it or driven aggressively since I got the car back so I can't comment on any improvement in acceleration though I would guess it would be negligible, if at all.

Throttle body cleaning made a big difference IMO. The car idles a lot smoother and actually lower than it did before. My car idled at about 900 RPMs before and now seems to idle at 700RPMs or so. Acceleration seems a bit smoother as well which could be a result of the spark plugs, or this, or both.

All in all...I am very happy with these little maintenance changes. After cleaning the MAF sensor, doing the fuel injector cleaner, new spark plugs, and a throttle body cleaning it is surprising how smooth the car is compared to before. The 2JZ is already a benchmark for smoothness but getting some of the carbon cleaned off the intake system and replacing the spark plugs really made a difference in idling and acceleration feel. The AMSOIL ATF really complements the engine maintenance by offering nearly imperceptable, butter smooth shifts.

I highly recommend the AMSOIL as well as doing some of the maintenance to your intake system. I am getting the SRT Intake installed sometime soon and am glad to have gotten the rest of this taken care of before I do that. Anything to get the ole' 2JZ breathing easier
cool micheal but u know those last 2 made the mechanics day...

yeah my baby is at the shop today to as i type actually....having that CEL i keep getting fixed....stupid thing something bout a purge valve or solenoid...i dunno im exhausted and STILL hungover and its almost 3 pm
Old 04-01-09 | 12:45 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Default Amsoil

Glad to have a personal reference for this product. Thanks for posting!