GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I Got Rear Ended!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 01:13 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had to deal with the insurance co pretty recently so I have some experience I can share. Unfortunately I don't have any good news for you because I think they are going to total out the car. According to your profile you have a 98 GS400 and those can be had for around 8-10k or less now days. The damage on the car is easily $5k+ and more in the neighborhood of around $8-10k which is what a non wrecked 98 GS4 would cost. If I were you, I would get the insurance co to go ahead and total the car. A good body shop can make the car look great again, but the car won't drive the same as it used to. That hit looks like it was hard enough to slightly tweak the chassis.

My car would of be totalled, but it wasn't because it's a 2005 and the value of it is quite a bit higher. If you have sunk a ton of money into the car already, then maybe you can ask the ins co to let you buyback.
Old 04-01-09, 01:15 PM
718LS430
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some girl in my school borrowed her brothers gs and also got rear ended by a jeep grand cherokee same damage but nothing happened to the jeep at all . the road was kinda wet it was drizziling a bit .. i saw the car after they fixed it but it was so noticable they paint job was cheap. sorry if i told a store that had nothing to do wit ur car jus the pics reminded me of it .....feel real bad 4 u
Old 04-01-09, 01:23 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

thats sucks bro, i hope the ins you have is nice and dont give you any hassle. All the aftermarket parts were on the insurance? or not
Old 04-01-09, 01:25 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam how fast was he going
Old 04-01-09, 02:15 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by McDj18
The quarter panel is rippled and thats what scares me the most. I'm praying they are not going to title my car salvaged! Thanks for the insurance info guys. That puts me as some ease. Now I need options for a new rear bumper. Any suggestions??
l-sportline if u can find it FTW....n just let them total it and buy it back and fix it for cheaper if u truely like it, if not....total buy it back...sell some of the parts and buy another one

u snap a pic of his car? and u lucky he had such a nice car so u know he probably has insurance and not some moron without any!
Old 04-01-09, 02:36 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My neck! My Neck and my Back....! better start singing! get Mo money haha
Old 04-01-09, 03:07 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad your OK man sometimes we put way to much importance on tangable things. Hows the old guy? I sometimes feel like DMV should lower the cut off age for elderly drivers. Or at least have a test for eye and hand response yearly. I'm not trying to come down on the elderly but I've seen thing you wouldn't believe.

This elderly woman hit my fiencee's mirror off, kept going and didn't even realise it. Wifee followed her and nicely knock on the window not trying to scare her and give her a heart attack then told her what she did. Grandma's mirrior was handing and she didn't even notice it.

Last month I was also rear ended driving into a parking lot. The kid was a 19 and it was his second accident in two weeks. He was a good dude and paid me really well to keep quiet. My car will be out the body shop soon so I'll post pictures.

Again I'm glad you and everyone is good....money and cars come and go but health irreplacable. I look at death everyday so it sort of keeps you humble.

Lee
Old 04-01-09, 03:41 PM
ICECOLD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAMN!!!!! Glad you ok. I was hit from behind last year. My insurance did not go up so your insurance shouldn't either.
Old 04-01-09, 04:02 PM
xxxoDWGoxx
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by the looks of it the car is totaled. Main word of advice is to be nice to the adjuster when he looks at it if you are able to talk to him. Salvage is determined by the adjuster, he can make it 5% or 30% of the adjusted NADA value. Some states dont allow a percentage to be used but more of a dollar amount. Salvage is usually higher on import cars than domestics.

I usually allow 20% for salvage buy backs on imports and 10% for domestic depending on year make and model. Most likely the adjuster is not going to pay attention to any aftermarket modifications you have made but more factory parts, and may even use LKQ or salvage parts in his estimate.

If you want to keep the car from being branded a salvage be sure to tell the adjuster, he may help you out a little bit but be aware if he does and it goes to a shop and the dollar amount of the repairs go up it is beyond his control. Depending on state laws where you live the percentage of damage to adjusted nada totals the vehicle.

i would let him total the car, be nice to him so he helps you out on the buyback...FYI his estimate is just that...an estimate!!! if he totals it out and your not happy about the $ amount, do some research of your own. Print out what a car of your same age and condition is going for in your market area (3 at least). you can negotiate!!! you do not have to accept and the insurance company will give to a point just to CLOSE the claim!

I am an independent auto/property adjuster, so I have worked in many states working auto claims, be patient and be nice! threats of suing gets you no where with an adjuster, he could care less. Be nice and he will be nice im sure

good luck with it
Old 04-01-09, 04:54 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

that sucks sorry to hear, but I would have snatched his headlights right then and there for a future ls430 retro
Old 04-01-09, 04:57 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by xxxoDWGoxx
by the looks of it the car is totaled. Main word of advice is to be nice to the adjuster when he looks at it if you are able to talk to him. Salvage is determined by the adjuster, he can make it 5% or 30% of the adjusted NADA value. Some states dont allow a percentage to be used but more of a dollar amount. Salvage is usually higher on import cars than domestics.

I usually allow 20% for salvage buy backs on imports and 10% for domestic depending on year make and model. Most likely the adjuster is not going to pay attention to any aftermarket modifications you have made but more factory parts, and may even use LKQ or salvage parts in his estimate.

If you want to keep the car from being branded a salvage be sure to tell the adjuster, he may help you out a little bit but be aware if he does and it goes to a shop and the dollar amount of the repairs go up it is beyond his control. Depending on state laws where you live the percentage of damage to adjusted nada totals the vehicle.

i would let him total the car, be nice to him so he helps you out on the buyback...FYI his estimate is just that...an estimate!!! if he totals it out and your not happy about the $ amount, do some research of your own. Print out what a car of your same age and condition is going for in your market area (3 at least). you can negotiate!!! you do not have to accept and the insurance company will give to a point just to CLOSE the claim!

I am an independent auto/property adjuster, so I have worked in many states working auto claims, be patient and be nice! threats of suing gets you no where with an adjuster, he could care less. Be nice and he will be nice im sure

good luck with it

Thanks for the info bro. I hope I never have to use it, but thanks for sharing.

Lee
Old 04-01-09, 04:58 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
that sucks sorry to hear, but I would have snatched his headlights right then and there for a future ls430 retro
evil bro, straight evil
Old 04-01-09, 05:12 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

AHHHH. i hate seeing accidents like that. i hate bad drivers!
Old 04-01-09, 05:19 PM
spooln7
Rookie

Wow that looks bad, but I'm glad your ok!
Old 04-01-09, 05:22 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

ah crap! No!

Quick Reply: I Got Rear Ended!!