GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To paint or not to paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 01:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To paint or not to paint?

As many of you know my car never had the best of paint jobs. The previous owner had a quick and dirty job done before he sold it because his kids had scratched up parts of the exterior. By the looks of it, it seems that they never wet sanded the car before it was painted and never applied a clear coat afterwards. Read: my paint job is crap.

I brought my car to a local body shop and asked for an estimate on getting it painted. My buddy works there and he told me a while ago that he would give me the hookup for about $1,000 to get the whole car painted correctly- Lexus paint, correct methods, etc. Well I brought the car there last weekend and he had a few guys look it over and came back with an estimate of $2500 to do the whole thing.

"Whole thing" is actually a lot more than just paint, as I was glad to learn with that price tag.. Now that it's a few years old my car has collected it's share of dings and dents- one on the hood, a few on the doors, trunk lid has several dimples, the front pass fender, etc. The painter told me that because my car is black, once it's repainted these imperfections are going to stick out like a sore thumb and that it would be best to have them fixed because shiny, brand new black paint reflects every imperfection, dent, scratch, etc. I also told him I wanted to have my L-Tuned skirts painted and installed, as well as the TTE Lip.

So this quote of $2500 is for a top notch Lexus paint job (one of the best rated shops in ATL), pull and correct every dent on the car, debadge before and rebadge after, and also to paint and install the L-Tuned skirts and TTE Lip. For me as a college student that is a lot of money, especially in this economy, but I am really wanting to get my car in top shape and have the money to do it.

EDIT: forgot one last thing. They also want to have my car buffed after it is finished being painted. He said they have a buffing procedure that is even better than the stock Lexus job that would look fantastic on the black paint and that is worth the money. It's a 2 day buffing process. There was a name for it but I forget.

So...what would you guys do?

Last edited by MPLexus301; 04-01-09 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 01:05 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2500 is a pretty good price including prep...up here it would be about double that
Old 04-01-09, 01:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaydee
2500 is a pretty good price including prep...up here it would be about double that
I know the price is good. These guys have done some work on my stuff in the past and they really do a fantastic job. My buddy said the retail price on a paint job like this would probably be between $7-8K.
Old 04-01-09, 01:21 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going to keep the same color or going with different look?...$2500 is a good deal..BTW...the interior of your car looks pretty cool..
Old 04-01-09, 01:23 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I know the price is good. These guys have done some work on my stuff in the past and they really do a fantastic job. My buddy said the retail price on a paint job like this would probably be between $7-8K.
Hey man, go for it!!!! Your buddy wasn't lying when he quoted you retail, and that is an amazing deal, if they do it the right way, that is. These guys told you the truth and suggested all the right things (ie repairing the dents and dings), cuz there would be no point repainting the car and not repairing the dents. Can't wait to see how she turns out.
Old 04-01-09, 01:26 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

That's cheap you get what you pay for.......
Old 04-01-09, 01:30 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 04-01-09, 01:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
That's cheap you get what you pay for.......
In most instances I would agree with you but this will be done as sidework by the painters and techs, not through the shop, which is why the price is so cheap. They do very high quality work.

The guy painting my car was flown to Japan at the launch of the new LS to be shown how to repaint one (in the event of a collision) because of the extensive painting and sanding process that they go through. In effect, what I am saying is that he is the shizznit
Old 04-01-09, 01:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoelGs
Are you going to keep the same color or going with different look?...$2500 is a good deal..BTW...the interior of your car looks pretty cool..
Yep I will be sticking with Black Onyx. Thanks for the complements
Old 04-01-09, 02:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

In most instances I would agree with you but this will be done as sidework by the painters and techs, not through the shop, which is why the price is so cheap. They do very high quality work.

The guy painting my car was flown to Japan at the launch of the new LS to be shown how to repaint one (in the event of a collision) because of the extensive painting and sanding process that they go through. In effect, what I am saying is that he is the shizznit
then dont ask a silly ?....

if i had some painters i could trust and knew they would do me right and would pull all my dents/repaint my baby for 2500 and i had it to spend...u can bet your *** i would get it done....if u do this...dont cheap out though order the chrome all new (hmmm wonder what it would look like without it and that cavern filled in)
Old 04-01-09, 02:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
then dont ask a silly ?....

if i had some painters i could trust and knew they would do me right and would pull all my dents/repaint my baby for 2500 and i had it to spend...u can bet your *** i would get it done....if u do this...dont cheap out though order the chrome all new (hmmm wonder what it would look like without it and that cavern filled in)
I am also ordering the updated bumper trim...good call.
Old 04-01-09, 02:32 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go for it ! you wont regret it at the end , 2500 is a good deal from what you say these guys do, look at it as an invesment in a way! hell thats yoru pride and joy I'm sure...? so go for it ... and if your askin our opinion of either going with a cheaper shop... then you will get what you pay for!
Old 04-01-09, 02:47 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

I am also ordering the updated bumper trim...good call.
have them do mine for that price next please
Old 04-01-09, 03:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are confident that this will indeed be a top notch paint and body work job for $2500 than I'd do it in a heartbeat. That is an extremely good price if the quality is as you say it will be. In my area, a $2500 minor body work and full complete paint job is what the insurance would pay out to a B Class mass insurance body shop place. That would be your typical good average paint job for the masses. I mean, just paint materials for good quality name brand base paint and high grade clear coat would probably run you about $500 or more alone. My guess is your buddy is really giving you a hook up because if you say these guys are top notch in your area this kind of work should cost at least $3500-$5000. I mean seriously, if you are getting a $5000 paint job for $2500 why is your car not already at the shop?
Old 04-01-09, 03:45 PM
Sydwayz
Rookie

$2500 does sound like a great deal. Here are my questions:

How do you use your car?

How are you going to use your car after its painted?

If its your only and daily driver, I don't know if I'd invest the money in it. If it's just a 2003 and it already needs some body work and a paint job, you and your area might be a little rough on paint & body. (sorry, have to say it)

If you really put on the miles, and you like parking in the front row at the mall vice way out in no man's land. I'd keep the money.

If after paint & body work, you are going to migrate the GS to a "Sunday driver" or at least out of a primary vehicle, I'd say you would be fine to invest in the paint & body.

What I am getting at, is you need to analyze your situation, and what it might be like 1 year from now. You know the condition of your car when you got it, and now. 1 year from now, is it going to look bad again? 2 years? Are you going to say, "man, I really could have spent that money on something else" ?

Quick Reply: To paint or not to paint?