GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pi$$ed... Victim of road rage!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 09:51 PM
LexFather

Well in GA, it's the wild wild west cause your car is your property and you can be a toting the burner (once it is visible in your car when the cop pulls up)......

I think Mumbles did a great job keeping his cool and not making the situatation more jacked up.

Mumbles YOU HAD MORE TO LOSE, good job.
Old 03-11-02, 09:58 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience

I think I have read enough of most of "all" of your posts that I can safely say that most of you are fairly experienced drivers.

Now, think about this.

How many of you would turn on your left blinker in preparation of merging left and not check, not really fully expecting to see the guy behind and to the left try to fill the space, squeeze you "out", but as a simple precautionary measure. And wouldn't most of us turn on the blinker and wait a goodly period of time, giving the other traffic "fair" notice of our intentions before I begining the actual "move".

That is what your turn signals are for by the way, to let other drivers become aware of what you intend before you actually take the action. Regretably, of course, some yahooes will take advantage of your "warning" and block you like was done to mumbles.

I live here in the Seattle area where drivers ar definitely more courteous than many other parts of the country that I travel. But I still see that manuver, fill the gap, happen often enough that I always use my turn signals to give a significant period of "warning" , and I always check before I actually begin my "move".

Defensive driving fundamentals 101....

Last edited by wwest; 03-11-02 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-11-02, 10:25 PM
LexFather

Well most drivers in Atlanta drive like crap and don't know their nose from their a$$. Seems every other car has a dent in it or some body damage.

I know I make mistakes but this is the regular:

What happened to mumbles.
30mph in the fast lane
NO ONE USES TURN SIGNALS
Turn signals on for 4 hours
No courtesy, no one lets you in.
Tailgating when driving or pulling up to a red light.
Swerving is your lane or back in forth(cell phone).

I mean it's pretty bad to me. Like I said I know I make mistakes but I try to minimize them. People sadly really do not know how to drive let alone road "etiquette". GROWN PEOPLE. Then they wonder why their kids are hitting trees going 80mph. They learn from YOU.

Also many people do not have their car working in proper condition so when it's time to brake or whatever, the car fails.

This post BTW is not towards anyone.
Old 03-11-02, 10:51 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wwest has a good point guys. If someone is coming up fast, I usually just wait until they pass...now if they speed up and then stay next to me so that I can't get it at all, then I will go OUT OF MY WAY to make their life miserable....

But even with that said, I still don't think Mumbles deserved what this *****EHEAD DID! I hope they throw the books at him!

SSagaG also has a good point!

...and I MUST CONGRATULATE Mumbles on handling the situation and thinking his way through the situation....man, I would have probably ripped this guy's head off...then I'd be a the only Club Lexus member in Prison! (well, if I got caught that is.... )

Insane! This is the kinda stuff you hear on the news!
Old 03-11-02, 11:00 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: escalation

Originally posted by wwest
YOU started it, he escalated it, who's at fault?

Like a lot of drivers today, you seem to think your turn signal gives you the "right" to do as you please. What you did endangered other people's lives, that's no excuse for the other driver, but it sounds to me thta you were up for a fignt, went looking for one, and found it.

Please, PLEASE, be a bit more careful.
Everyone else slammed you already so there is nothing to add except that your post was hella LAME!
Old 03-12-02, 01:13 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

shroffkr - I bet if you drove the 405/101, you'd have road rage in a matter of minutes! The 880/80/680 (all those damn '80's) in the San Francisco/Oakland area are also breeding grounds for road rage....
Old 03-12-02, 06:44 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

I've lived in and around alot of big cities... Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Sacramento, and now Atlanta. Of those cities, Atlanta reigns supreme with more "I-couldn't-drive-my-way-out-of-a-wet-paper-bag-with-a-tank" drivers per capita then all the rest combined.
I swear it's like they are filming an episode of CHiP's here every day. Overturned vehicles, car fires, jack-knifed tractor trailers... hell even on CHiP's I never saw a car just burst into flames without being in an accident... not here though. You'll be driving along minding your own business when suddenly the car next to you just goes poof and then calmly pulls to the side of the road And you're left thinking "did I just see that car burst into flames?" So you get to work and you tell your co-workers "Hey, I just saw a car burst into flames... " and they either look at you like "so?" or you get 10 people who say "Oh that's nothing, let me tell you about the time... <insert wild story here>"
The one thing I did like about driving in L.A. was that even though the traffic was bumper to bumper, it was moving at 80mph. The downside was that you had to plan your exit 6 miles in advance
Old 03-12-02, 07:52 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I definitely miss driving in LA... The only people who complain about LA traffic are the ones who've never been there!
Old 03-12-02, 08:33 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
shroffkr - I bet if you drove the 405/101, you'd have road rage in a matter of minutes! The 880/80/680 (all those damn '80's) in the San Francisco/Oakland area are also breeding grounds for road rage....
Definitely, 880 has got to be the worse. I love it when all of a sudden there are only two lanes. There could be three now but that's still sucks for all of that traffic.

LA traffic sucks big time. It's busy both ways almost all hours of the day. UGH!
Old 03-12-02, 08:34 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mumbles
I've lived in and around alot of big cities... Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Sacramento, and now Atlanta. Of those cities, Atlanta reigns supreme with more "I-couldn't-drive-my-way-out-of-a-wet-paper-bag-with-a-tank" drivers per capita then all the rest combined.
I swear it's like they are filming an episode of CHiP's here every day. Overturned vehicles, car fires, jack-knifed tractor trailers... hell even on CHiP's I never saw a car just burst into flames without being in an accident... not here though. You'll be driving along minding your own business when suddenly the car next to you just goes poof and then calmly pulls to the side of the road And you're left thinking "did I just see that car burst into flames?" So you get to work and you tell your co-workers "Hey, I just saw a car burst into flames... " and they either look at you like "so?" or you get 10 people who say "Oh that's nothing, let me tell you about the time... <insert wild story here>"
The one thing I did like about driving in L.A. was that even though the traffic was bumper to bumper, it was moving at 80mph. The downside was that you had to plan your exit 6 miles in advance
MA has got the craziest drivers. They have those rotarys and nobody seems to want to stop. SCARY..
Old 03-12-02, 10:35 AM
advsystems
Driver

I'm sorry to hear about this unfortuante incident; it reminds me of one I went through several months ago.

First off, it's extremely dangerous to approach someone obviously this messed-up. There are a lot of angry people on the road just looking for fights.

Secondly, even threatening someone verbally constitues assault, which is far more serious than vandalism and/or wreckless driving (which the other a-hole obviously exhibited). The minute you touch someone, they can claim battery, which is even more serious.

I'm glad the dude got taken away, but your best bet would have been to simply call the police with his license plate & report a hit & run (very serious). That way, you avoid harm & the law protects you.

When someone damaged my car because they thought I cut them off, I got out & kicked their ***. What felt good at the time turned-out to be a huge setback. Not only did the guy walk for doing >$1000 damage to my car (I was unable to locate him in a subsequent civil claim), but I was charged for battery by the DA which in CA carries a minimum 30 day jail term. After several court dates, I finally pleaded and begged with the DA to dismiss the charge based upon the fact that I could not serve/locate the person for my civil case; thus it was unlikely that they would have a plaintiff if we went to trial.

Bottom line; keep your cool & avoid confrontation.
Old 03-12-02, 11:22 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Almost as if to confirm my earlier statement, on the way back from lunch I passed a jack-knifed and overturned semi truck, but... it wasn't on fire
Old 03-12-02, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally posted by meanboy
MA has got the craziest drivers. They have those rotarys and nobody seems to want to stop. SCARY..
MA's speed limits are designed for 'revenue collection' (35mph on divided highways in places!) and the roads STINK, so it would make me batty also.

Taxachusetts is about the last place in the U.S. I'd want to live.
Old 03-12-02, 03:12 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Taxachusetts is about the last place in the U.S. I'd want to live.
You'd rather live in New Jersey than Massachusetts? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 03-12-02, 03:49 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Pi$$ed... Victim of road rage!

Originally posted by mumbles
Another shining example of why all cars should be equipped with phazers to eliminate idiots on sight!
I'm on my way to work, and attempting to merge into the fast lane. There would have been plenty of room if this idiot had not sped up when he saw my turn signal, but since he did, I wound up missing his front bumper by 5 or 6 feet... close yeah, but not catastrophic, and a situation created by the other driver.
So, what does this a$$hole do? He pulls onto the shoulder and starts to pass me. Then without warning, the frickin jerkoff starts slamming into my car trying to force himself back into the fast lane. My mind is racing at this point, I just cant believe this guy just hit my car on purpose multiple times! :eek:
Of course he just keeps driving like this is normal??? So I start flashing my lights and motioning for him to pull over (thoughts of whippin this boys *** floating through my mind), but he just keeps driving. Finally, the traffic clears enough for me to get along side him and I keep motioning for him to pull over, but again, he just keeps going while yelling something at me and flipping me off. There is no traffic ahead of us, so I pull in front of him and slow down. I guess this pi$$ed him off, because he finally pulls to the far right shoulder.
I want to kill this guy, but manage to keep my cool as he starts screaming about how I took his spot, and I forced him onto the shoulder, and I did this and I did that... I just kept my voice loud enough for him to hear, and kept getting as close to his face as I could. This pi$$ed him off even more and he tells me I'd better stay out of his face, so I move closer. He takes his coat off and throughs it on the ground saying he's gonna kick my a$$ now. So I move closer still. I get this idea. I don't have my cell phone, but he has one in his front pocket, and they way he's acting, if I can get the cops to show up, this moron will slit his own throat.
So I get nose to nose with this ***** and tell him that he can go on and on all he wants, but I have his license plate number and I'm going to call the cops. He says "fine, get your cell and call the cops". I told him that I didn't have a cell. He says "well I got one right here, I'll call them!"
Bingo It was like it was scripted, he did just what I wanted. The cops were there within 10 minutes, and he starts yelling and flinging his arms around just like he did with me, and 5 minutes later, this fu@ker was in cuffs in the back of the squad car! The cops listened to my side of the story, wrote up the report, and gave me the case number.
Now the bad part Good size dent in drivers side passenger door, drivers door, drivers side view mirror is tweaked, and two dents in the drivers quarter panel. I can only open my door about 18"
I'm fu@king pi$$ed because I now have to go through all the hassle of tracking down body shops, and I know that no paint job, no matter how well it's done will ever be as good as factory.
Ok, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening and I hope your day goes better than mine!
Eric, I'm real sorry to hear about that. From what I've read that ************ ***** was completely out of line! PERIOD!!! I am however, glad to hear that no physical violence insued, because who knows what the outcome would be? It is unfortunate that there are many people like this person out there. I have never experienced RR to that level, but I have experienced it. And fortunately God has given me strength to not go Animal ****** on somebody! Just follow up with his insurance (hopefully he has some) and move forward.

Quick Reply: Pi$$ed... Victim of road rage!