GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VSC possible battery issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 01:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default VSC possible battery issue.

I have noticed if I don't drive my GS for awhile it takes a little longer to start up and the battery is wearing down faster then it should when I have left the radio on while the car was off when I was detailing. The last few weeks I have not been driving my GS much and the battery would not put enough juice to start the car on 2 occasions so I had to recharge it. After driving it then it would start fine after that for the next few days. I had to recharge it yesterday after not driving it for a few days because it would not put enough power to start and when I started it this morning the VSC light stayed on as well as the VSC OFF stayed on in the dash. Pushing the VSC button did not make any difference as they stay lit up. The battery has a very small amount white dry acid coming from its red terminal so I would say it is time for a new battery as I don't think it has ever been replaced and it is a 2001 GS430, I just need to find some time to do it.

Is the VSC and VSC OFF lights staying on in the dash and not going off because the battery is going and not providing enough charge or could it be something else(hope not)? Would unplugging the battery and then resetting take the VSC lights off.

Any recommendations on a battery for a 2001 GS430. I want something reliable but I don't want to spend too much money. I don't need any high end heavy duty expensive battery because the stock battery has lasted a long time and has been very reliable until recently and that is mainly do the car not being started for a few days at a time.
Old 04-02-09, 01:33 PM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
I have noticed if I don't drive my GS for awhile it takes a little longer to start up and the battery is wearing down faster then it should when I have left the radio on while the car was off when I was detailing. The last few weeks I have not been driving my GS much and the battery would not put enough juice to start the car on 2 occasions so I had to recharge it. After driving it then it would start fine after that for the next few days. I had to recharge it yesterday after not driving it for a few days because it would not put enough power to start and when I started it this morning the VSC light stayed on as well as the VSC OFF stayed on in the dash. Pushing the VSC button did not make any difference as they stay lit up. The battery has a very small amount white dry acid coming from its red terminal so I would say it is time for a new battery as I don't think it has ever been replaced and it is a 2001 GS430, I just need to find some time to do it.

Is the VSC and VSC OFF lights staying on in the dash and not going off because the battery is going and not providing enough charge or could it be something else(hope not)? Would unplugging the battery and then resetting take the VSC lights off.

Any recommendations on a battery for a 2001 GS430. I want something reliable but I don't want to spend too much money. I don't need any high end heavy duty expensive battery because the stock battery has lasted a long time and has been very reliable until recently and that is mainly do the car not being started for a few days at a time.
That's not acid coming out of the battery. That's corrosion. That could be the cause of all of your problems. You could try cleaning it and the baking soda trick...

...however, it's probably time for a new battery. The fact that you don't start/drive/use your car regularly is all the more reason to invest in a top of the line battery that will hold its charge and stay reliable for a long time to come. There was a great battery thread a few weeks ago. (Sears DieHard Gold is my recommendation.)
Old 04-03-09, 09:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
(Sears DieHard Gold is my recommendation.)
optima yellow or red top are my recommendation IF cleaning the terminals doesnt help (rescuff them up with some sandpaper after you clean them up, can do this to the copper also for a better connection)
Old 04-03-09, 09:46 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say an optima yellow too... Had one for over 4 years and it went through 3 different cars till my last accident popped a hole in it. lol.
Old 04-03-09, 10:05 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

So only the VSC lights are on ? what about the Check Engine Light? I've had the same problem also when i dont drive it for a few weeks, I'm gonna invest in a Yellow top , thanks for the Tip guys,... and my CEL , could just be another problem???
Old 04-03-09, 03:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AsGs300
So only the VSC lights are on ? what about the Check Engine Light? I've had the same problem also when i dont drive it for a few weeks, I'm gonna invest in a Yellow top , thanks for the Tip guys,... and my CEL , could just be another problem???
Last night and today the VSC on/off lights were no longer lit up so I am not exactly sure what happened, may have just been a glitch from the battery being so low and needing to be recharged, car drives fine. I brushed off some of the corrosion from the battery terminal and put some baking soda on it. The car started fine every time this morning/afternoon. I was checking out some batteries at Autozone, Walmart, and Sears and they all seemed priced in the same ballpark and kind of high in the $80-105 range depending on how many years warranty they offered. I will have to check the exact model I have in there now as I have been pretty happy with it and am pretty sure it was never changed so it has last over 7 years and is still not dead, just not holding enough charge to start the car after not driving it for a few days.
Old 04-06-09, 02:17 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Thanks for the tip UDel