GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS dilemna....need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 11:17 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS dilemna....need help

Ok guys here is my story:
Last year I was told by my mom she was going topurchase me a new car within a $55k price range.Immediately I said i wanted the GS 430 and it was set. Two days ago I came back home from college and we sat down and had a talk about the car, especially since my birthday is in 2 months. SO this is what happened my mom has told me she can't afford a gs 430 for me at this time - HOWEVER she said she will be more than happy to buy me a used GS 430/400/300. Reason being she just bought a $500,000 condo in Tenefly,NJ that were going to move to this fall. And we made an agreement that in 2 years she will buy me whatever car I desire within reasonable range (S430 baby). SO anyway here is my problem which should i get:
Price Range $40,000 - lower
Used GS 430/400/300
NEW IS 300
NEW Acura TL-S
NEW Audi A4

For the GS 400/430/300 can someone give me some sites to find some used ones. I tried Ebay/carmax and they both don't have any im interested in.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 03-11-02, 11:27 AM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, not to be a hater, but you are one lucky bastard to have you Mom drop $60k, $40k, heck even $10k on a car for you like that. Count your blessings.

That being said... go for a Certified Pre-Owned '00/'01 GS4xx you'll be very happy in the choice and get great service as well. The GS is faster/nicer/less common than everything else you mentioned. Plus, everyone who sees my '99 CPO gs400 thinks it brand new anyway.

Try Eddie @ Lexus of Manhattan if you are close. Tell him Nick H. recommended you.
Old 03-11-02, 11:31 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Yeah I know, I get alot of haters all over the place, I don't go around bragging and I still work and I pay my own insurance starting on this next car I get. So anyway I'll be sure to give Lexus of Manhattan a call. I'm only 45 mins away. THanks alot man.
Old 03-11-02, 11:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are considering the GS, even as a preowned option with intentions for a new 50k car in 2 years, get the well taken care of preowned now, then take the 50k in 2 years and plop a Stage4 in it - do the suspension, audio/video, dress up mods between now and then.

Jeez, you'll have one of teh top GSs in the country.

<jedi mind trick> you don't want a S430; that's that's not the car you really want....</jedi mind trick>

Old 03-11-02, 12:42 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Well, this is a Lexus board so you'll get a lot of recommendations for the used GS430. I have a thing against used cars, no matter HOW nice they are, so I would recommend the new TL-S. You can have a lot of fun in that car, it will be yours from the get-go, and then in two years you can go for broke with whatever you want. As always, you'll have to make your own decision based on what cars you can find and what you like!
Old 03-11-02, 01:42 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Hey man, congrat's on your future gs. Definately buy the gs, it was my first car when I graduated high school. Recently got an LX470, fu#@in beast!!! I bought it at Rallye Lexus in Long Island. I don't know where you are, but your parents seem like money bags so you guys probably live in Long Island, White Plains, or the Hamptons. Well back to the story. DO NOT BUY YOUR CAR at Rallye Lexus, the guy who sold us our car CPO lied on the mileage when he sold us the car, it had like 65K on it and he wrote down 55K so it would be CPO. Well we asked him if it definately had the 60K major service done, he said DEFINATELY. Hoffman Lexus(Great People) in CT said it definately did not, when we called Lexus Cust Satisfaction they said the car only had 55K when we bought it not 65K and we had no recourse. Freakin scumbag at Rallye. Hope I did not scare you from buying a Lexus.
Old 03-11-02, 01:51 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GET A S430, you will hate yourself for it trust me. First of all if your thinking about the GS4xx then your looking for a fast car and the S-class is not a fast car (unless you get the S600 or the AMG). Second I know alot of people with S-class and I would say 80% of them are having problems with them including my dad and my cousin, my cousins S-class is only a year old and already he has changed the navi. twice, as for my dad's its a 2001 and hes had numerous mechanical problems with it.

I would either go with a GS4XX or maybe even a BMW 5, or in 2 years a 7. I wouldnt bother with an acura I dont think of them as a real luxury car. Infinti is trying hard to be in the game and there new cars are promising. Jaguar is owned by ford so forget that. Audi is a great car but I would go with a S-6 or A6 4.2

now if you want an IS300 thats a nice car, but you should also look into the 330ci, or even the upcomming 330xi if your looking for 4-wheel drive preformance. As much as I love the IS I think the BMW 330 gives a better bang for the buck
Old 03-11-02, 02:10 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Not trying to be a flamer or a hater or a stereotyper, I thought only asian parents would spoil their kids like that....hmm...I guess there are exceptions...

As far as car selection goes, used 5 series and used GS are your best bet. With the 5 series, you get better car feel and performance imo but your trade off is expensive repair and reliability. With the GS, you'll need to do some modding in order to improve the ride and the handling.

It took me 6 months and multiple test drives before I can choose between the two.

Dont even consider TL, they are basically souped accord with no characters and it just drive like **** imo...
Old 03-11-02, 02:49 PM
badboy_4fun_wa
Driver School Candidate

Default Another oppion

Okay so here is what I did recently. Looked at a lot of cars I ended up in a GS300 35k miles for $24.5. I considered an Acura TL only because it was super clean and a decent car. My other selection was a Audio A6....great car IMO.

I had a LS400 previously and was totalled. It was a 92 130k miles ran and looked just like new. When I got in the GS300 and drove it I was amazed and the decision was made. I did try to find a clean GS400 without any luck!

If I was younger I might have bought the IS300 but I found the GS to be much better for me. Then again I am pushing 40...lol. Most of us Lexus owners know one thing the cars are sweet and run and look that way for years down the road.

Example of Value I bought my LS400 4 years old for 30k and insurance gave me 13.5k 6 years later. It only cost me 13k to get my 98 GS300. I know it don't seem like $$ is the main issue. Also the GS is a little more rare on the road then the other cars you mentioned as well. As for certified if I got 1 for 3k less uncertified well cared for and low miles I would take it. Lexus is the most reliable car made!!
Old 03-11-02, 04:26 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

being 18, IS300 is probably what suits you the best, and considering you're gonna get something luxurious in 2 years (SC430) why not get something sporty like the IS.

If you're considering TL-S then why not just used GS400/430. Check out Acura-TL.com, even people over there prefer GS400/430 over TLs.
Old 03-11-02, 05:32 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

I agree with Globe. I personally would get something sporty or fast and then up grade to pure luxury later in a few years. If you spoil yourself to fast, you won't appreciate the car. You know the saying "Gotta crawl before you walk". So my choices would be an IS300 w/L-tuned Package, Audi A4 turbo or maybe a Saleen Mustang. All of them are under 40K and are fun to drive. After a few years, maybe your 21st B-day, get yourself a GS430 or SC430. By that time, you will have more years of driving experience and won't get screwed by the insurance driving a $50K car. Remember, your car taste may change in a few years. Mine did... I went from a Super Charged '97 Chevy Z28 to a '01 Lexus GS300. It's slow but it turns heads...

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 03-11-02 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-11-02, 11:42 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

thx for the responses guys - here is what the problem is - im not too much into the sportiness or speed. I want the looks - 20" chrome, TV's Bodykits, - the whole schpleel. Anyway - I've decided i really want a used GS 300/400/430, now I need to find some. My mom prefers I get a CPO GS. Heres the problem I checked the following lexus dealer inventories online:
Lexus of Greenwich
Lexus of Larchmont
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus of Englewood
None of them have what I'm looking for. Anyone know a good site to find some used GS - preferably 430's or 400's???
Old 03-12-02, 05:15 AM
nherc
Driver School Candidate

futuregs,

Don't go by the online listings... they had my car listed a couple weeks after I had a deposit on it and I saw another GS400 out front that wasn't listed @ Lexus of Manhattan--nice looking white one with low miles too (but that was a few weeks back).

In short, their online stock is not _all_ of their stock, nor always up to date.

Call them up and ask for Eddie.
Old 03-12-02, 07:05 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

I would try www.autotrader.com. I saw several used Gs300/400 that were Lexus Certified. Give it a try.
Old 03-12-02, 07:19 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Not to be a hater, it's great that you are born with a golden spoon in your mouth, but it doesn't seem like much crawling to me to have a 50k+ car bought FOR you at 18!!!

alrigh', I'll admit, I am jealous But, seriously, I wonder how you younger members's view on money is when things are handed to you at such age!

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
"Gotta crawl before you walk".

Quick Reply: GS dilemna....need help