GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

is there a trick to remove door panels o_O?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 04:30 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default is there a trick to remove door panels o_O?

ok so ive removed door panels before on a SC4.. quite simple.. anyways i tried removing my front driver side.. and for some reaosn i cant take it off. I removed the screws (all of em), and pried the panels out a bit since theres clips. then i tried lifting it up n it wont budge =/ i dont wanna break anything so it put everything back.. i also tried to rear door panel n had some progress on it... until i say some yellow plastic bits on the ground so i stopped n put everything =[

also my driverside rear door seems to be a tiny bit lower than my other doors n it takes more force to close that door.. is there a way to align it?
Old 04-09-09, 06:09 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you take off the upper trim around the window? If the tweeter housing etc...isn't removed it makes it hard to get the door panel up. I'm assuming you got all the screws along the very bottom, the one on the upper outside where the plastic bumper thing is, the one in the vent location and I think there are a couple under the arm rest as well as behind the plastic piece where the door handle is. I think that's all of them.
Old 04-09-09, 06:21 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

yea i removed all the screws. hermm i should look into the upper trim them,.. im assuming they are all held by clips?
Old 04-09-09, 06:24 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

you don't need to remove the upper trim to pull the door panel. Did you remove the screw behind the door pull lever? After you remove all the screws, you pull from the bottom then lift up
Old 04-09-09, 06:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea. Remove all hidden screws. There is one under the arm rest if you haven't taken it out yet.

I usually lift up from the top of the panel near the B-pillar part of the door. That's where the metal clips are at so you need to re-direct your lifting force there first.
Old 04-09-09, 06:34 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
you don't need to remove the upper trim to pull the door panel. Did you remove the screw behind the door pull lever? After you remove all the screws, you pull from the bottom then lift up
Your correct, you don't NEED to but:

1: It's more difficult if you don't and the upper trim comes off with one 10mm bolt and a couple plastic pins.

2. If you don't remove it you have to bend the door panel somewhat to get it to clear which introduces the chance for the material to be creased or torn.

It only take 1 minute to remove the upper trim so why not do it the right way?

The upper trim goes along the very top of the door, about where the window meets the door frame (it's black and plastic, kind of a c shape). I'm not talking about the woodgrain at the top of the door btw. If everything else is loose then you should be able to get the door panel off by firmly working it up and down from each side (think of the motion of putting a sock on).

Last edited by macd7919; 04-09-09 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 07:12 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be 8 screws all together and some clips that you have to pull off the door to get the panel out, then it's just pull and lift it out. Make sure you get the rear off first then the front by the tweeters..just pull on it a bit to get clearance, then pull up. Oh bye the way did you get the screw behind the plastic cover behind the door handle.
Your rear door should just need to be adjusted by, loosen the bolts holding the door and have somebody tight them while you align the door.
gl
Old 04-09-09, 08:59 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
Your correct, you don't NEED to but:

1: It's more difficult if you don't and the upper trim comes off with one 10mm bolt and a couple plastic pins.

2. If you don't remove it you have to bend the door panel somewhat to get it to clear which introduces the chance for the material to be creased or torn.

It only take 1 minute to remove the upper trim so why not do it the right way?

The upper trim goes along the very top of the door, about where the window meets the door frame (it's black and plastic, kind of a c shape). I'm not talking about the woodgrain at the top of the door btw. If everything else is loose then you should be able to get the door panel off by firmly working it up and down from each side (think of the motion of putting a sock on).
not to beat a dead horse...but in order to remove the upper trim, there's a bolt BEHIND the door panel, that holds the tweeter in....so why would you have to remove the upper trim, if you have to remove the door panel to remove the upper trim?
Old 04-09-09, 10:25 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

yea ive removed all screws but ARG... maybe someone in socal can help?
Old 04-09-09, 10:30 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Taken my door panels off this weekend as well. I hope I don't run into the same problems. Good luck!
Old 04-09-09, 10:47 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedaddic
not to beat a dead horse...but in order to remove the upper trim, there's a bolt BEHIND the door panel, that holds the tweeter in....so why would you have to remove the upper trim, if you have to remove the door panel to remove the upper trim?
You should be able to access it pretty easily with the panel on, or just tilted a hair. I generally take it off because it makes the panel easier to go one and off, but either way as I mentioned before, you don't have to do it. I was suggesting it as the OP is having trouble getting the panel off as it is and possibly it was getting hung up on that piece of trim. If it's really not budging as it seems then he must have missed a screw somewhere, if you can't get it by tomm I will go out and go over my car and list everything that needs to come off.
Old 04-10-09, 08:07 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

is there a trick to remove door panels o_O?-door.jpg

justa pic of what ive removed

ill get at it again when i get time i guess..

can someone get a movie up? haha youtube it? =]
Old 04-10-09, 09:14 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

ok, if you've removed all those screws, pull the bottom out then lift up and you're good to go. You'll have to disconnect the courtesy light and the cables for the lock along with the switches.