GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 04:15 PM
98GS450
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Reduction

how much weight will i take out of my car if i take out my rear seats. and basically strip out the back. is there any other way to make my car lighter. o yea is long tube headers good for a gs400?
Old 04-11-09, 03:21 PM
kuroi_tuki
Driver School Candidate

the rear seat is about 30~40lb i guess. If you wanna light weight the car, u can remove all the sound deadening material, replace the front seats w/ racing seats.(this is illegal, because it will remove the front side airbag, do it at your own risk), remove the carpets, remove spare wheel(illegal too), jack, door panels. This will probably saves you atleast 100lbs, but y? itz a lexus.
Old 04-11-09, 06:30 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Kuroi, removing all that stuff you just listed will lighten the car significantly.

Each front seat weighs about 60lbs. A lightweight racing seat is about 15lbs.
Total weight reduction there would be about 90lbs.

Entire rear seat assembly and rear deck will remove about 60lbs.

Spare tire is about 40lbs. Jack plus all acessories in the trunk is about 20lbs.

The sound deadening...there's so much of it on the car it would be very difficult to remove. But if you remove the majority of the easy to access stuff then you would shave off around 50lbs or so.

All 4 door panels weigh about 50lbs total.

CF hood will shave off about 25lbs or so.

That's just a quick estimate, but I'm just saying you can shave off up to 500lbs off your car just by removing the extra accessories. Really, this is only useful if you're building a racecar. If it's a street car then I would advise against doing so.
Old 04-13-09, 09:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kuroi_tuki
remove spare wheel(illegal too)
off topic..
y would removing this be illegal
on topic...
you can remove a/c if your really serious bout lightening and convert to CF parts or get them made but your talking $$$ there

what are you trying to do?
Old 04-13-09, 11:01 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

removing spare tire is illegal? I have the ls400 brake and if my front blows, I can't use it. I have AAA good enough for 100 miles..why do I need a spare?

JeffTsai...are those number you listed pretty accurate? WOW! 500 pounds is some serious weight reduction.

OP, any update on things you have already done?
Old 04-13-09, 11:19 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98GS450
how much weight will i take out of my car if i take out my rear seats. and basically strip out the back. is there any other way to make my car lighter. o yea is long tube headers good for a gs400?
If your talking about just removing the cushions and the cardboard on the rear deck you aren't going to save much. The bottom of the cushions is maybe 5 lbs, the back of the cushion isn't much more. The rear deck is basically just cardboard covering it so you will hardly save anything there.

I think Jeff is talking about actually cutting out the sheet metal in the back, more or less gutting the car. As stated before, unless you are building a race only car there really isn't a point to making your interior look terrible in order to save 20lbs, leave that to the Honda guys
Old 04-13-09, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Please search, we have discussed this many times.
Old 04-14-09, 11:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
I have AAA good enough for 100 miles..
me too and its paid for it's self since i got it in 2001
Old 04-14-09, 12:48 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

if your a big guy.. Exercise is a good way to do weight reduction.
Old 04-15-09, 12:54 AM
98GS450
Driver School Candidate

hahaha, im not big.Im only 17 bro . Im in the Bay Area Racing Scene. I street race and i also do some mountain racing. ive drifted on roads such as redwood road and calaveras. rd . the thing that scares me the most is throwing all this weight into a corner. I lost control one time on a consecutive drift. first 1 ok second was perfect the third one i hit the gas to hard and his the guard rail and . kinda cracked my rear bumper.

mods:
stage 1 kelford cams
straight pipes going all the way through(no cats)
s&s headers(would long tubes be bad for gs400)
1 inch drop( my springs juss dropped randomly dont kno why but it works hehe)
i have more parts but uninstalled

out of car so far:
back seats
front seats-replaces with kragen leather seats
subs. amps etc.
carpeting and rear door panes.

if i mold my rear doors will i make my car lighter or is it just a waste of time
Old 04-15-09, 01:04 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98GS450
hahaha, im not big.Im only 17 bro . Im in the Bay Area Racing Scene. I street race and i also do some mountain racing. ive drifted on roads such as redwood road and calaveras. rd . the thing that scares me the most is throwing all this weight into a corner. I lost control one time on a consecutive drift. first 1 ok second was perfect the third one i hit the gas to hard and his the guard rail and . kinda cracked my rear bumper.

mods:
stage 1 kelford cams
straight pipes going all the way through(no cats)
s&s headers(would long tubes be bad for gs400)
1 inch drop( my springs juss dropped randomly dont kno why but it works hehe)
i have more parts but uninstalled

out of car so far:
back seats
front seats-replaces with kragen leather seats
subs. amps etc.
carpeting and rear door panes.

if i mold my rear doors will i make my car lighter or is it just a waste of time
Wow.....I can here the flames from a mile away, this isn't the place to be bringing up the fact that you do that kind of thing on public streets. No one looks highly upon that, let alone the fact you barely even have your license. Just a heads up for when the flaming will inevitably begin on this thread.

So.......got any pics of this car? Is it a 4.5L? (judging from your screename)
Old 04-15-09, 01:14 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Get yourself a LSD to really get that tail kicking out and maintain better control. Trying to drift on an open differential is much less predictable...at least in my experience

Anyways, the responsible(however little that is) side of me says don't do what you're doing on the street
Old 04-15-09, 04:19 AM
98GS450
Driver School Candidate

the street racing. i dont race my lexus much i race a civic
Old 04-15-09, 04:22 AM
98GS450
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by macd7919
Wow.....I can here the flames from a mile away, this isn't the place to be bringing up the fact that you do that kind of thing on public streets. No one looks highly upon that, let alone the fact you barely even have your license. Just a heads up for when the flaming will inevitably begin on this thread.

So.......got any pics of this car? Is it a 4.5L? (judging from your screename)
wth yea its 4.5L i bought car somewhat modded from my cousin. not sure what else is in it. it can take. srt8's. right now body is kinda messed up so and i hav a lip kit coming in after that and paint job ill post up some pics
Old 03-24-10, 02:42 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, I was looking for the OEM weight of the spare tire and found this thread from a while back.

Jeff, are you serious the spare tire weigh around 40 pound? I've add a lot of weight in my car and consider replacing the spare with a 17 pound wheel for 99 bux to counter it.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction