GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

UAS bag wear.. not looking good...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 12:17 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like it only rubs all the way down. What did Zack say about this? He gave me two more of those disk brackets to try to make it clear but it only helps at ride height. And it makes you lose lift. All the way down, these bags will rub no matter what, but I just don't want them to rub at my ride height, which I think is possible. I guess I will just continue to rotate the bags when I see there is a lot of wear.
Old 05-03-09, 12:28 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
Looks like it only rubs all the way down. What did Zack say about this? He gave me two more of those disk brackets to try to make it clear but it only helps at ride height. And it makes you lose lift. All the way down, these bags will rub no matter what, but I just don't want them to rub at my ride height, which I think is possible. I guess I will just continue to rotate the bags when I see there is a lot of wear.

We added the plates and that is what happened... exactly what you said.. the bag folds over itself and becomes even fatter. I e-mailed him and am waiting for a response. Rotating the bags is a shady option I'm not willing to settle for after thousands of dollars spent.
Old 05-03-09, 10:26 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a shytty situation but it is what happens when you want to modify a car especially to baller status by getting air.
I am not the biggest fan of UAS as it is universal but you can't blame UAS like it is there fault for the situation either.
This is not like an exact science where they control every possible variable , they are good to work with you to fix it . Only problem is it is going to be a band aid solution as your spindle is too close.
If you could invert the shock it would work but that would mean a new shock and not UAS. That in itself may lead to a whole new set of problems.

If you want to stop the situation from happening as fast with out constant lubing to reduce friction here are some of my ideas.
The easiest i can see is to apply a low friction material to the spindle to allow the bag to slide over it.

As you are in Washington you have snow and may be able to get some good plastic.
I would try and find those cheap plastic sheets for sliding down hills .
it has 2 holes for handles for the kids to hold onto when sliding down hills. It basically a ghetto toboggan or snow sled.
This type of plastic should be such a low co efficient of friction it should allow the bag to keep going , if it does wear replace it every 6 months if that quick .
1 sheet should work for a lifetime if it lasts 6 months .

So how do you get it to keep in place?
get a 3 - 4 inch long piece put some holes at the top and bottom edge so you can slide a zip tie on . Then tie both upper and lower to the spindle.
I am not sure if the spindle will need to be notched to keep it in place from up and down movements of the bag.
You can replace it just by raising the car up and swapping in a new one in 3 minutes .

So again , don't blame UAS as it is not their fault . You want to ride low and these are the consequences . There is a Latin term "Caveat emptor" which means , Let the buyer beware .

So you are making the others aware of possible issues by riding low with UAS .

In a way you are settling as you choose to go with cheaper UAS over air runner , there is a cost factor involved with making custom shocks for matched bags. i personally think UAS is way over priced for just bags . It should cost $500 for a set of bags and another $500 for the fittings ,switches,tank and compressor.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-03-09, 11:00 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is why i went with coils..or would go air runner..but its jus wayy too expensive
Old 05-03-09, 11:01 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

what struts are you using i have bilstien and don't have these issues ill take pics i don't know you did your install is this when they are toltaly aired down or are the like that all the way aired up i plan on getting deeper into mine i am going to take my fenders off and check total clearence between the bag and arm although i did smooth out my arm there were some sharp spots from casting if there is a problem i will go to uas i live 15 minutes away not as easy to dismiss someone when there in front of you although they have been very helpful for me
Old 05-03-09, 11:32 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From the sounds of the issue it is when the bags are at their widest.
In order to accomplish that is has to have a somewwhat low pressue on them about the 60 lb range. Otherwise the bag rises and pulls the slack up to create less of a diameter footprint.
Also i forgot to mention you could sand and polish your spindles but it will still create wear more than another type of matreial can.
Old 05-04-09, 12:08 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why not move the mounting point on the strut DOWN a bit more so that when you are dropped you have a higher PSI in the bag.
Old 05-06-09, 01:48 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
It is a shytty situation but it is what happens when you want to modify a car especially to baller status by getting air.
I am not the biggest fan of UAS as it is universal but you can't blame UAS like it is there fault for the situation either.
This is not like an exact science where they control every possible variable , they are good to work with you to fix it . Only problem is it is going to be a band aid solution as your spindle is too close.
If you could invert the shock it would work but that would mean a new shock and not UAS. That in itself may lead to a whole new set of problems.

If you want to stop the situation from happening as fast with out constant lubing to reduce friction here are some of my ideas.
The easiest i can see is to apply a low friction material to the spindle to allow the bag to slide over it.

As you are in Washington you have snow and may be able to get some good plastic.
I would try and find those cheap plastic sheets for sliding down hills .
it has 2 holes for handles for the kids to hold onto when sliding down hills. It basically a ghetto toboggan or snow sled.
This type of plastic should be such a low co efficient of friction it should allow the bag to keep going , if it does wear replace it every 6 months if that quick .
1 sheet should work for a lifetime if it lasts 6 months .

So how do you get it to keep in place?
get a 3 - 4 inch long piece put some holes at the top and bottom edge so you can slide a zip tie on . Then tie both upper and lower to the spindle.
I am not sure if the spindle will need to be notched to keep it in place from up and down movements of the bag.
You can replace it just by raising the car up and swapping in a new one in 3 minutes .

So again , don't blame UAS as it is not their fault . You want to ride low and these are the consequences . There is a Latin term "Caveat emptor" which means , Let the buyer beware .

So you are making the others aware of possible issues by riding low with UAS .

In a way you are settling as you choose to go with cheaper UAS over air runner , there is a cost factor involved with making custom shocks for matched bags. i personally think UAS is way over priced for just bags . It should cost $500 for a set of bags and another $500 for the fittings ,switches,tank and compressor.

I hope this helps.
Just because there is another product (airrunner) that is more expensive doesn't mean UAS can just... not work.

Selling me a system that has been test fitted to my car, suggesting I spend extra on premium struts, then having it all fail upon use is not acceptable. If they're going to sell something like its an exact science, it should be. The variables they consider are the cars... thats why they have different kits for different cars... if the results differ from car to car of the same model that needs to be noted. Thanks for your advice on solutions

Last edited by T.K.O.; 05-06-09 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 07:41 PM
toeb
Pole Position

ive been on uas for a little over a year. i have had no problems at all, i installed my setup myself. by the way i own a shop where we install these kits along with drop kits donk kits this is what we do. there are a few things i wanted to add to this post...
has your car ever been wrecked? and you said you where on the bilstens right? it looks to me like whats going on is the bag is folding over the lower spring perch and its getting pinched between the arm and the perch. now i bought new struts for my gs when i did my install however i bought oe replacements. from the pic it looks like the perch is bigger around than the steel plate on the bottom of the bag.

i would make this suggestion to you, if you still have the oe front struts mount the bags on them. it wont take but a few mins to do it and see if you have the same problem. i roll full dumped with bump stops out and never rub a thing, but DAMN its a ruff ride.

if ican be of any help to you on this issue pm me i will share what i know.

good luck!!!
Old 05-06-09, 08:20 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm on UAS with stock struts and I still have this problem. No bump stops either. The bag is too fat when there's no air because it folds over. I don't know how this problem can be fixed because if you move the bag up with those spacers, you will just lose lift.
Old 05-06-09, 08:25 PM
phillygs3

Originally Posted by chrispy
I'm on UAS with stock struts and I still have this problem. No bump stops either. The bag is too fat when there's no air because it folds over. I don't know how this problem can be fixed because if you move the bag up with those spacers, you will just lose lift.
I hope I dont have this problem
Old 05-06-09, 09:51 PM
jdmgeorge
Rookie

me too....
Old 05-07-09, 05:57 AM
toeb
Pole Position

ive been out there looking at them this morning, and im not having this problem at all. maybe im just one of the lucky ones.

gool luck!!!
Old 05-07-09, 08:03 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by toeb
ive been out there looking at them this morning, and im not having this problem at all. maybe im just one of the lucky ones.

gool luck!!!
can you get pictures of your bags when they are fully deflated?? i think itll help us a lot
Old 05-07-09, 08:06 AM
phatz
Driver

you need to inflate the bag to see how wide it gets, then make a custom upper mount to offset it more towards the engine compartment to keep it away from the spindle. or install a camber kit to push the spindle back a bit away from the bag, you can also smooth down the back of the spindle as i always do on honda's,

just make sure when u offset the bag that u smooth out anything on that wheelwell at the back [lips or clips or tabs must be smoothed out]

understand what im saying?

Quick Reply: UAS bag wear.. not looking good...