GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

UAS bag wear.. not looking good...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 08:15 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

they should try a sleeve in the front instead of a bag, sleeves are much thinner and may get rid of some problems.
Old 05-07-09, 08:27 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW. This is the first time ive seen this thread. I was the one who did the install on TKO's car. The first time, and the second time. We kept thinking I was doing something wrong. The second time we added plates to each site per UAS recomendation.
They turned around the first set of bags super fast so that was nice, and they have tried to be helpfull but I think its a poor design.
To do bandaid fix's some of you recomend, may work.
But why should he have to do that after buying a kit thats supposedly specific for this car ? And to spend that much money is... well imo I the system is bullsh1t myself.

Before you guys think it was the alignment, no matter how much or how little camber he runs, the bag still hits the knuckle on both the left and right side.

To say don't blame UAS, again I belive it is due to a KIT that is supposedly designed for these cars specificly. Its not as if he went out and bought individual parts. If he wanted to ride at one exact height within 1" of stock where it just barely rubs thats BS. And it does rub thru 99% of the cycle of the suspension.

Just my opinion after seeing another kit of a different brand on a friends car that fit very well is just lame.

Im not trying to come across rude, though I probably am. The whole thing is just lame and frustrating after how much fab was involved.
Old 05-07-09, 02:21 PM
phatz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twojayzee
WOW. This is the first time ive seen this thread. I was the one who did the install on TKO's car. The first time, and the second time. We kept thinking I was doing something wrong. The second time we added plates to each site per UAS recomendation.
They turned around the first set of bags super fast so that was nice, and they have tried to be helpfull but I think its a poor design.
To do bandaid fix's some of you recomend, may work.
But why should he have to do that after buying a kit thats supposedly specific for this car ? And to spend that much money is... well imo I the system is bullsh1t myself.

Before you guys think it was the alignment, no matter how much or how little camber he runs, the bag still hits the knuckle on both the left and right side.

To say don't blame UAS, again I belive it is due to a KIT that is supposedly designed for these cars specificly. Its not as if he went out and bought individual parts. If he wanted to ride at one exact height within 1" of stock where it just barely rubs thats BS. And it does rub thru 99% of the cycle of the suspension.

Just my opinion after seeing another kit of a different brand on a friends car that fit very well is just lame.

Im not trying to come across rude, though I probably am. The whole thing is just lame and frustrating after how much fab was involved.

ha thats universal air for ya, couple plates, 2 bags, they say slap it in! on the phone = "omg thats the first i heard of that problem"

if there is NO way to offset it towards the engine [inwards] my modifiying the upper mount?? , screw addings plates bla bla bla, the height has nothing to do with the geometry of how to spindle comes in. that bags needs to be pushed back, its too close to the spindle there is nothing wrong with the bag, its just the install. you have to modify and cycle it thru the full range of movement before you bolt on those wheels and call it a day.
Old 05-07-09, 02:27 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phatz
ha thats universal air for ya, couple plates, 2 bags, they say slap it in! on the phone = "omg thats the first i heard of that problem"

if there is NO way to offset it towards the engine [inwards] my modifiying the upper mount?? , screw addings plates bla bla bla, the height has nothing to do with the geometry of how to spindle comes in. that bags needs to be pushed back, its too close to the spindle there is nothing wrong with the bag, its just the install. you have to modify and cycle it thru the full range of movement before you bolt on those wheels and call it a day.
EXACTLY !

A smaller diameter bag would be perfect. Adjustable upper control arms would work to push the spindle out. Too bad they cost between 6-800bux minimum and still doesnt make this a "kit"
Old 05-07-09, 02:40 PM
phatz
Driver

EXACTLY !

A smaller diameter bag would be perfect. Adjustable upper control arms would work to push the spindle out. Too bad they cost between 6-800bux minimum and still doesnt make this a "kit"

trust me. i know what im talking about, been doing this for years.

you can run an airlift universal strut chapman, it will need MORE PSI to get up, will require fab for the upper/lower mount but its not hard. that will be a sleeve. you can check airlifts website to see the total inflated diameter of the sleeve, i know it lifts v6 accords, but again needs hella pressure.

i would try and get that universal air bag working and just rework your upper mount. back in the day when they had no camber kits i made my own, chop-welded upper control arms, lowrider style, extended them a bit, but thats a permanent hack job, but years ago they had no camber kits for imports lol.
Old 05-07-09, 03:05 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

... back in the day when they had no camber kits i made my own, chop-welded upper control arms, lowrider style, extended them a bit, but thats a permanent hack job, but years ago they had no camber kits for imports lol.

Werd. Me too. I did the same thing on my civic's back in 1991 before civics were considered rice. Custom upper and lower arms...to current day, I did the same thing with my 1st gen GS3. I hacked everything up. Till now. I got all the parts to make adjustable upper and lower control arms, monoball mounts and pins etc.

I dont think Stef wants to do that with his car though.
Old 05-07-09, 06:19 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

There's a vendor selling SPC adjustable control arms for about $400. Moving the spindle away from the bag will make you lose negative camber, right?
Old 05-07-09, 07:25 PM
phatz
Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
There's a vendor selling SPC adjustable control arms for about $400. Moving the spindle away from the bag will make you lose negative camber, right?
correct. it may not work in all cases, it may also cause more rubbing when laid out because your tires will tuck in less. may hit the liner.

It will only work if he has a low ride height that way his alignment will be nice at ride height [his camber not poked out ++ camber]

its the same problems with hondas with larger air cylinders [4"] and air struts, whenever i do hondas I use camber kits. tell them to get an alignement at their ride height, shave the back of the spindle down a hair so its smooth and theres no casting lines.

also with hondas the lower control arm shock mount bushing wears down and the strut usually changes a couple degrees inwards when that bushing wears down, sometimes people over look this. I have done cars with no rubbing and tonnes of room [i always offset the upper mount, sometimes I just oval out the upper strut tower holes a hair and use a washer and poke the strut in a bit to move it away from the spindle.] and the car comes back a month later with rubbing on the strut from the spindle, it was always that lower bushing worn out , most people over look that.a fresh set of energy suspnesion bushings and had no problems. strut went back to proper alignment and it was pushed away from the spindle.

i am a highly experienced installer, i been thru it probably more than anybody on this site and have done probably over 100 vehicles so i am not a newb in this game lol.

Last edited by phatz; 05-07-09 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 07:36 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so... my question......

If you purchase an adjustable upper control arm to move the spindle out from an angle like this "\" to an angle like this "/", can you correct it using the stock camber adjustment on the lower control arm (per say, or wherever the stock camber adjustment is - i think its at the bottom) to add more negative camber to get it back like "\" or at least like "|", except a little farther out.

Does this make any sense?

Also, why does SPC use a rubber ball joint where as all other adjustable upper control arm companies use spherical ball joints?
Old 05-07-09, 07:45 PM
phatz
Driver

yes you can adjust the lower again to regain a bit, but you can only pull a certain amout of degree's out of that[its not allot] . usually camber kits can pull of lots of adjustability, but again before Idoing all this camber kit bullsht I would just do a home made job and redo that upper mount, build one thats offset and have that bag fully inflated 1/8" away from the side of the strut tower, then start working off that.
Old 05-07-09, 09:41 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

i am a highly experienced installer, i been thru it probably more than anybody on this site and have done probably over 100 vehicles so i am not a newb in this game lol.
Sounds like your experienced, though im not sure what that statment means. There are alot of very intellegent people on this forum. Lots of guys from the MKIV forums and alot of innovators of turbo cars and swaps.
No one said you were a newb did they ?
I too am experienced, I couldnt begin to fathom how many cars ive lowered, painted, shaved, slammed, hydro'd, bag'd, custom interiors and built motors for, not counting the 14 cars and 9 bikes i've owned and built over the last 18years. I've worked on at least 20 cars of members on this forum in the last year.

Anywayz... back to T.K.O's post
Old 05-07-09, 10:27 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wondering phatz ,where do you work?
Old 05-07-09, 10:53 PM
phatz
Driver

Sounds like your experienced, though im not sure what that statment means. There are alot of very intellegent people on this forum. Lots of guys from the MKIV forums and alot of innovators of turbo cars and swaps.
No one said you were a newb did they ?
I too am experienced, I couldnt begin to fathom how many cars ive lowered, painted, shaved, slammed, hydro'd, bag'd, custom interiors and built motors for, not counting the 14 cars and 9 bikes i've owned and built over the last 18years. I've worked on at least 20 cars of members on this forum in the last year.

Anywayz... back to T.K.O's post
i didnt mean it come off in the wrong way its just i have no post history and i didnt want anybody to think im some internet jebrone whos just copy and pasting from google if ya catch my drift lol. and i meant it toward air suspension thats it, if you ask me about turbos or how to wire up your nav deck i have no clue, il leave that up to you
Old 05-07-09, 10:54 PM
phatz
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
Just wondering phatz ,where do you work?
im in california now doing internet work.

hows your car ride on them airlift struts? oh ya and tell sicryde to sell my civic, hes slackin on stackin paper. hes too rich!
Old 05-08-09, 04:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

so if a smaller diameter bag will work, why not go with a sleeve then? just throwing it out there. im not familiair with the UAS kit but ive been around air ride for a few years.

something like this

Quick Reply: UAS bag wear.. not looking good...