GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

fender dimples

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 02:16 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised they are even looking at it, most shops perform fender rolling "at the customers risk" due to the high probability of damage. Good luck, hopefully your shop will be the exception!
Old 04-15-09, 05:35 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i told them to shave it 3 times but they said this would be better because when they did it to other cars it chewed the tires up and was a driving risk. we will see on monday what will happen?????????? i hope they fix it and repaint so no more cracking will happen. i just hope that i am not out of a car for to long.
Old 04-15-09, 05:39 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
i told them to shave it 3 times but they said this would be better because when they did it to other cars it chewed the tires up and was a driving risk. we will see on monday what will happen?????????? i hope they fix it and repaint so no more cracking will happen. i just hope that i am not out of a car for to long.
Good Luck on that. Do they actually have the "ability" to shave or are they making excuses?

The reason why it is also better to use a sander is because it leaves a smooth surface. Cutting with a rotary tool is a lot more difficult to be straight and smooth though it can be done right, and if not done right it will definitely turn your fender lip into a cheese grater.
Old 04-15-09, 05:40 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
In that case I would hold them 100% accountable. It's ridiculous to say they will be cut while driving, you aren't making full lock turns going 30 mph are you? No. If you don't drive like an idiot (turning the wheel hard while going fast in a slammed car) then the tires won't touch. I'm running 20" wheels on Tein CSv2 fully dropped with shaved fenders and a 245/35/20 and have never had the tire get "cut" once from the fender.

Yes, if I'm pulling into a steep embankment and I have the wheel turned full lock with a full car and I don't slow down they will scrub the fender for a second but you just have to remember that your in a low car and drive accordingly.
Old 04-15-09, 05:52 PM
_CJ_
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used an angle grinder with a cuttoff wheel cut the lip off of mine. Then switched to a 30 grit grinding wheel to shave it almost flat. I then sanded the edge with sandpaper to get rid of the sharp edges, and finshed if off with some rubberized undercoat. It came out really nice. I did roll the front though and got a small dimple, but I think I can work it out if im carefull. Anyway my point is the angle grinder is alot easier to control than a dremel, and I only went through 1 wheel for both sides.
Old 04-15-09, 05:53 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macd7919
I have shaved fenders and you just need to trim the fender liner, I still have mine installed with no issues, just be creative.

As far as the guy who wants "real wheels" to fit. You answered your own question, if trimming isn't enough then would of course have to pull it. The point is when you pull the fenders there is a high probability that it's not going to come out smooth so the best option for those who don't want to risk damage is to trim them.
The guy who wants "real wheel fitment" is me.

Evan

And I know you'll have to pull. I'm just saying there isn't much point to shaving if you have to pull the fenders to get real fitment anyway..

and I'm not talking about running -8 degrees camber like these "vip" dudes.

Hugs and kisses.
Old 04-15-09, 07:09 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

^ then what are you talking about? rmmgs is running "real wheel fitment" and has made it work by shaving.
Old 04-15-09, 07:11 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
The guy who wants "real wheel fitment" is me.

Evan

And I know you'll have to pull. I'm just saying there isn't much point to shaving if you have to pull the fenders to get real fitment anyway..

and I'm not talking about running -8 degrees camber like these "vip" dudes.

Hugs and kisses.
If you are going to be pulling enough to get wide wheels (over 11.5 inches) to fit with an aggressive offset then you are going to need paint work as well, which really has nothing to do with this thread. It may be a news flash to you Evan but you aren't the first guy to run "real wheels" on a Gs. It's been covered on the forum, the point was that for the average guy who just needs a minor adjustment shaving the fenders will work just fine without running the risk of damage/paint cracks.

Thanks for the hugs and kisses btw, I directed them straight to the spot you were thinking of
Old 04-15-09, 08:14 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macd7919
If you are going to be pulling enough to get wide wheels (over 11.5 inches) to fit with an aggressive offset then you are going to need paint work as well, which really has nothing to do with this thread. It may be a news flash to you Evan but you aren't the first guy to run "real wheels" on a Gs. It's been covered on the forum, the point was that for the average guy who just needs a minor adjustment shaving the fenders will work just fine without running the risk of damage/paint cracks.

Thanks for the hugs and kisses btw, I directed them straight to the spot you were thinking of

hahaha, me and you will get along just fine.
Old 05-18-09, 10:44 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bught this for 35 bux...wonder if it's good enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...bxgy_hi_text_b
Old 05-18-09, 11:32 AM
RMMGS4

18 is a bit short.

21 inch belt sizes are the standard and more readily available.

Aside from the belt length this should do just fine.
Old 05-18-09, 11:39 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I also bought 80 grit and 120 grit ... couldn't find 200 grit. I'll have to check the hardware store.... unless I don't need it.
Old 05-18-09, 11:48 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by sam430
I also bought 80 grit and 120 grit ... couldn't find 200 grit. I'll have to check the hardware store.... unless I don't need it.
80 and 120 are perfectly fine. Use the 120 just to smooth out the final job.

80 will cut relatively fast. I use 60 grit which cuts real fast, but for your first time you probably want to shave slower.

You're gonna need safety goggles and it doesn't hurt to put duct tape on the outside of the body near the lip in case you slip, break a belt, etc.
Old 05-18-09, 01:44 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
80 and 120 are perfectly fine. Use the 120 just to smooth out the final job.

80 will cut relatively fast. I use 60 grit which cuts real fast, but for your first time you probably want to shave slower.

You're gonna need safety goggles and it doesn't hurt to put duct tape on the outside of the body near the lip in case you slip, break a belt, etc.
Sounds good. Thanks!
Old 05-18-09, 08:13 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done rolling my fenders, How i did it, turn the steering wheel all the way left and right while going out and looking to see where the tires would rub. Then took off the plastic wheel wall thingin, just the top part by cutting it. Sprayed the inside with rubber coating then rolled the marked spots where the tires rubbed with baseball bat "wood" some paint chipped but i just sanded that down and after I got done rolling the fender I masked the outside fender with masking tape to prevent overspray on the paint and sprayed the inside part where i sanded with rubber coating . Perfect, no scraps and no rust!

Quick Reply: fender dimples