GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

fender dimples

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 08:40 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

denut-l the majority of post are about the rearfenders. i did my fronts with a baseball bat too and had no issues, and i am running a 255-35-20 droped on tanabe df210's with NO rubbing at all.

UPDATE: i was going to wait until wednesday to post but since this thread has been resurected why not. i drop my car off in two days to the bodyshop for a complete treatment. fix the fender dimples paint and evrything thing done for free. and i will only be out of a cer for 2-3 days, but since i broke my foot and really cant drive anyway it doen't really matter. and i think while its at the shop i will get my wood trim color matched to the car. wish me luck that all goes smooth (like my fenders will be haha)
Old 05-27-09, 10:27 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

so i got her back yesterday, and it is all good. walked right in and they just handed me the keys, no paper work or anything, just checked it out and drove home. they did a fantastic job color matching. i will be going to them from now on. such a good feeling
Old 05-28-09, 12:36 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, all this hassle for true flushness. i salute you fellas. i just went with a bit lower offset and called it a day.
Old 05-28-09, 01:27 AM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chicks dig dipples right? Seriously I got a couple to, but is hard to tell since the car is black. I plan get them cleaned up but I fear a buggy will just plow into it days later.
Old 05-28-09, 02:38 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know of any good shops in Miami where I can get nice clean shave?
Old 05-29-09, 12:00 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
so i got her back yesterday, and it is all good. walked right in and they just handed me the keys, no paper work or anything, just checked it out and drove home. they did a fantastic job color matching. i will be going to them from now on. such a good feeling
what shop did u go to? socal rite? i need mine rolled and pulled a bit. thanx
Old 05-29-09, 01:25 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

hey 5t341th i am from hb too. we got to meet up sometime (pm me) i went to my friends shop driftspeed in cypress. i would have them shave it if you roll it you may get dimples like what happened to me. that is why i started this thread. i would also go in the socal section and look for members to help you diy, and save a few bucks. let me know what actions you take.
Old 05-29-09, 02:04 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

pics?????????????????????????
Old 06-30-09, 10:31 AM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you guys get your fenders shaved to run a flush wheel like shown above, what do you do to seal the (2) pcs of fender together. Is repainting of the entire qtr panel needed after this done?

Also on average what did you guys pay?
Old 06-30-09, 11:40 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
hey 5t341th i am from hb too. we got to meet up sometime (pm me) i went to my friends shop driftspeed in cypress. i would have them shave it if you roll it you may get dimples like what happened to me. that is why i started this thread. i would also go in the socal section and look for members to help you diy, and save a few bucks. let me know what actions you take.
oh man sorry for a late reply. Driftspeed huh? i've been there before i think. A japanese guy runs it right?
i do plan on having it shaved first. i dont want to attempt it myself because i dont want to mess up again. I had a 240sx and i rolled/pulled my rears quarters before and it messed it up cuz i wasnt careful. i dont want the same to happen to my lexus.
Old 06-30-09, 11:55 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SHiZNiLTi
After you guys get your fenders shaved to run a flush wheel like shown above, what do you do to seal the (2) pcs of fender together. Is repainting of the entire qtr panel needed after this done?

Also on average what did you guys pay?
This was a DIY for me so labor was free.

You will see the seam where the two pieces meet. I just primered and painted over them and masked off the paint right up to the edge. I then followed up by blending the OEM silver followed by a clear coat. If you mask carefully you will not touch the paint on the outside at all. 4+ years and no separation.

The clearance shown on the photo is achieved without any modding done to the outside body. That tire size is a 295, so it's not stretched and still no rubbing. If you ran a smaller tire size and stretched it you could get even more agressive with the offset and still clear.

I was going to post a picture of the paint work, but what's up with the CL gallery? I can't access my archives.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-01-09 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 01:27 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

5t341th i pm'ed you back. i would also consider diy and save lots of $. follow what rmmgs4 said. its not hard, i would have done it but i am injured so i could not do it myself, and i had to get new tiress and they would have rubbed if i din't do it then. pm me if you want to meet up and i will show you how mine tured out. i am not that good at posting pictures on here
Old 06-30-09, 05:02 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
wow, all this hassle for true flushness. i salute you fellas. i just went with a bit lower offset and called it a day.
A lower offset would move the wheels outboard more, just making it worse

Shaving is yes!
Old 07-01-09, 12:55 AM
RMMGS4

OK found my pictures.

Here's the inner lip with the trim still in place and about half shaved.

Here's the same area shaved 100%

Masked and primered, ready for color + clear coat, to be followed by undercoating up to about 1 inch away from the lip edge.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-01-09 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 01:06 AM
RMMGS4

Here's a close up of my tire/wheel clearance.

Note that my fender lip to ground height is 24.5" .

Quick Reply: fender dimples