GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car sluggish, have theories, need help to diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 10:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll try to get a part # for you Slick...
Old 04-27-09, 05:52 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Bro. Let me know when you have something.

Och, I put in the fuel filter. Like I anticipated, no change. Same thing. I still have no pull. Going to start cleaning the entire air intake track. Hopefully that does something. Are you still willing to try the maf again. Let me know.
Old 04-27-09, 03:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Thanks Bro. Let me know when you have something.

Och, I put in the fuel filter. Like I anticipated, no change. Same thing. I still have no pull. Going to start cleaning the entire air intake track. Hopefully that does something. Are you still willing to try the maf again. Let me know.
Yeah come by on saturday (or maybe thursday or friday), you have my number call me, and we'll do it. Its just tomm and wednesday im busy like hell.
Old 04-27-09, 04:20 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eleration.html

same thing as you, o2 sensors cats, maf sensor clean or replace, ecu reset, and TB clean then drive and let everything come together and the ecu will see everything is ok.
Old 04-27-09, 06:28 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T'was not plugged cats

Well let me rephrase that .... it may not be plugged/partial plugged cats.

I got my spanky new OEM MAF Sensor ($142 shipped) and WIX (dry) Air filters in the car and VOILA ! No more hesitation issues. The car seems to be back on par and I am NOT scared to pull into traffic anymore !

I've got a funeral to attend in Philly on Thursday so I'll note the mileage I'm getting with the new MAF Sensor (I was getting an abysmal 18 HIGHWAY before I changed it).

Cliff Notes: Installed OEM MAF Sensor acceleration throughout the RPM range restored.
Old 04-29-09, 06:23 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah come by on saturday (or maybe thursday or friday), you have my number call me, and we'll do it. Its just tomm and wednesday im busy like hell.
Sounds like a plan. I just think maybe this time we do it in my garage. It might rain again for like 4 days straight. Let me know, thanks.
Old 04-29-09, 06:25 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BossGS4
Well let me rephrase that .... it may not be plugged/partial plugged cats.

I got my spanky new OEM MAF Sensor ($142 shipped) and WIX (dry) Air filters in the car and VOILA ! No more hesitation issues. The car seems to be back on par and I am NOT scared to pull into traffic anymore !

I've got a funeral to attend in Philly on Thursday so I'll note the mileage I'm getting with the new MAF Sensor (I was getting an abysmal 18 HIGHWAY before I changed it).

Cliff Notes: Installed OEM MAF Sensor acceleration throughout the RPM range restored.
Sweet. Can't wait to test and put this issue to bed. Thanks
Old 04-29-09, 06:45 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

So, I have done a bunch of stuff to the car so far.

I changed the fuel filter. I am no sure that these ever need to be replaced. Either way, for 15 minutes of work, and $15 to Och, it was worth a shot. (Och, I still owe you $5 so remind me when I see you). So there was no difference in performance.

Took out my plugs to check them, they look brand new. And they pretty much are.

Ordered the PCV valve, can't wait to get it.

Took off my intake, TB looked clean, MAF looked clean. Cleaned both anyway. No difference at all. Still same crap.

All together though, the performance seems to be better a little. It doesn't backfire as much, and I kind of have quarter throttle acceleration now. Still cannot floor it though.

Thanks all again, I will keep you posted.
Old 04-29-09, 07:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you even change your timing belt? Maybe its off by a tooth, thus backfire?
Old 04-29-09, 08:57 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked your TPS ( throttle position sensor )? It's located on your throttle body. Try cleaning your MAF sensor, and your throttle body. Recently did mine, and it has good improvement :]
Old 04-29-09, 09:15 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is stupid, but are you sure it's premium gas? A friend of mine's girl friend put 87 octane in the tank and had the same problem. P.S. The sulfer smell is the an additive in the gas that your particular company uses, if you don't like the smell, use a better brand of gas...
Old 04-29-09, 10:08 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Did you even change your timing belt? Maybe its off by a tooth, thus backfire?
Ofcoarse, my car went throught the entire 90k service and then some. I changed all belts, all pullies, all seals, all mounts. Everything should be good in that dept.
Old 04-29-09, 10:12 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
This is stupid, but are you sure it's premium gas? A friend of mine's girl friend put 87 octane in the tank and had the same problem. P.S. The sulfer smell is the an additive in the gas that your particular company uses, if you don't like the smell, use a better brand of gas...
Yea I am sure it is 93 and some places it is 94. I don't stick to a perticlular brand. Gas stations I use around here are; Mobil, Shell, CityGas, Sunnoco (SP), Getty, etc. Basically all the major brands. I always fill up myself, it is always 93 or better. No doubts in this matter at all.
Old 04-29-09, 10:28 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tested the coil pack? The cat can't be clogged that bad. Maybe you can swap'm when your buddy comes over. It shouldn't take much time to swap...just remember who owns which

edit: you should get CEL if one of the coilpacks go bad...but worth a try though.

Last edited by sam430; 04-29-09 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 01:15 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
Have you tested the coil pack? The cat can't be clogged that bad. Maybe you can swap'm when your buddy comes over. It shouldn't take much time to swap...just remember who owns which

edit: you should get CEL if one of the coilpacks go bad...but worth a try though.
Right, that is what I thought. I should get a cel if the coils go bad. I would also have a rough idle if the coils were bad.

Quick Reply: Car sluggish, have theories, need help to diagnose