GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car sluggish, have theories, need help to diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 10:32 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea Och, the phone died. LOL, talked to you more than wifey, lol.

This is after mine and Och's conversation. Thanks Och.

Ok check this out. I believe the SRT ECU is a piece of sheiat. I think it used to work before, but at some point messed up, or caused the mess-up in my GS. I took the ECU out (Och's recomendation), left the intake in. Reset the computer for about 10 min. (this is deff too short of a time, I researched).

So on to the goodie stuff. The car does not drive past 2K rpm. Almost like, not all cylinders are firing / limp mode maybe . I started checking the exhaust temp with my hand. Holy *****, it's hot as hell. Engine temp is normal, and engine feels much cooler to the touch.

So I decided to drive the car to my house, about 10 min drive at my supper acceleration. BUT GET THIS. From stand still to 1.5K rpm, my car takes off now, much harder than before if I try. After 1.5k - 1.7k, nothing . Constant steady throttle will get me to 3K rpm.

The news that I am happy about is that now I GOT A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT . I Scanned it, got catalytic failure, o2 sensor failure, and Misfire with two more codes that the scan tool did not translate (I forgot to write the numbers down before resetting it ). WAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOW 5 codes total.

I think the SRT ECU was masking problems that I could not address earlier . I think my o2 sensors died at some point, I'm at 120K miles, they just must have died by now, but the SRT ECU compensated somehow for that and fooled the stock ECU from throwing a check engine. That in-turn owned my cats. The misfire must be from the insanely wrong map that my car is getting.

I disconnected my battery for the night right now, and will get back to diagnosing this after work tomorrow.
Old 05-01-09, 12:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just so you know, I'll be replacing my O2 sensors withing the next couple weeks. They are good, but I'm gonna do the whole timing belt/water pump job, so might as well replace them as well. You can have my old ones then to test out.
Old 05-01-09, 01:44 AM
JCE102JZGE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you get this sorted out. I've had similar problems and haven't quite figured it out yet. However my car is an IS300, but your symptoms sound very similar to mines.

Heres what it does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w399Bmu-25o
Old 05-01-09, 06:04 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Just so you know, I'll be replacing my O2 sensors withing the next couple weeks. They are good, but I'm gonna do the whole timing belt/water pump job, so might as well replace them as well. You can have my old ones then to test out.
Wow I can't believe that you were still up. I am going to try to get the check engine codes again and start replacing stuff. I think I have to solder that one wire up first, it might be giving me issues too. Thanks bro. Let me know if you can stop by or something, the car is really not drivable at this point. Connected the battery in the morning, the car barely maintains idle. I will get on it later on today to see in more detail.
Old 05-01-09, 06:08 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JCE102JZGE
I hope you get this sorted out. I've had similar problems and haven't quite figured it out yet. However my car is an IS300, but your symptoms sound very similar to mines.

Heres what it does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w399Bmu-25o
Exactly what my car does. EXACTLY. At least it did with the SRT intake. Once the intake ECU was removed, I am now getting a ton of other codes and problems, which I am glad it does because now I can properly diagnose. I will keep everyone posted, so just keep checking back.

I finally feel like I am getting somewhere though, so a little relief, but pissed that I have so many problems now.
Old 05-01-09, 06:26 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Och, what is the proper name for the coolant temp sensor that you replaced? And where is it located? I want to order it right now.
Old 05-01-09, 11:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Och, what is the proper name for the coolant temp sensor that you replaced? And where is it located? I want to order it right now.
ECT sensor, engine coolant temp sensor. Its like 20-40 bucks.
Old 05-01-09, 11:40 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

check my post on rock auto closeout in the great deal section for some of the parts you need. I see an o2 on there.
Old 05-02-09, 11:22 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Ok everyone. It was the MAF and SRT Intake.

Och, thanx bro, couldn't have done it with out you and your parts.

Everyoune else I will update this later, as posting from the iPhone is whack and not my thing.
Old 05-02-09, 12:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Dude I already ordered that fuel screen and the daizen bushings for steering rack and sway bars!
Old 05-02-09, 08:31 PM
JCE102JZGE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I solved my problem as well, but not sure which one it was. I cleaned the MAF sensor (again), changed the spark plugs, and plug wires.
Old 05-04-09, 12:29 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Dude I already ordered that fuel screen and the daizen bushings for steering rack and sway bars!
nice call me when you get them. We can slap all that stuff in.
Old 05-04-09, 12:36 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

So everyone. Basically the SRT intake is a piece of crap, because it essentially blocked the check engine codes from poping out. As soon as I took out the SRT ECU, I got like 20 different codes. It turned out later on that about 18 of the codes were due to the MAF not being able to read that insane volume of air in the intake. The other two codes were because my MAF is busted. I re-installed my stock air box, Och's MAF, and the car is back to normal. I am waiting for my new MAF, ECT sensor, and stock air filter to come in, and I will be back to normal. I think I will stay away from SRT from now on. It used to work great, but when the MAF was on its way out, the SRT ECU was masking the problems.

Now I am just getting codes P0171, and P0174, which Och's Maf takes care of. With my maf and no air filter, these codes come back. Thank you all again.
Old 05-04-09, 02:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

That just goes to prove my long standing opinion that aftermarket intakes suck. With that being said, my steering rack and sway bar bushings arrived today, and I only ordered them on saturday!
Old 05-05-09, 06:06 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Nice. I'm getting my parts today as well. So if you want maybe we can install your stuff today as well. Bring by your fuel filter stuff too. We can slap it in as well. Just make sure you have less than half a tank of fuel.

Quick Reply: Car sluggish, have theories, need help to diagnose