GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A conservative mod set up for comfort, looks and handling ** Lotta Pics !! **

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 03:53 PM
yanglgs430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eworth
"what do you think? if i use stock strut instead of KYB? will that be any negative affect. becuase i just change a new set to OEM Strut. Thanks?"

I had thought about doing that too but others suggested replacing the originals because you're already in there. Save a bit more and do it all at the same time. I got mine (KYB-GR2s) with shipping from Ebay for $305.99. That's a deal.

I'm glad I made that choice and my originals only had 40K on them.
Thanks, but I should made decision earlier. because my strut only has lesss than 3k miles on it in three monthes ago. they are brand new. cost me $780 parts+labor. I think i will still replace it KYB. becuase if i want to do it. i have to do it right.
Old 04-17-09, 04:07 PM
Eworth
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With only 3k miles, Heck, I'd keep them as long as you weren't going with a radical drop. What do the rest of you guys think?
Old 04-17-09, 04:27 PM
yanglgs430
Driver School Candidate

With only 3k miles, Heck, I'd keep them as long as you weren't going with a radical drop. What do the rest of you guys think?
did you also replace the longer sturb since you are adding spacer on it?
Old 04-17-09, 04:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Eworth, did you sell your shocks? if it's still in good condition, someone local may need it. Just a thought- but it may waste your time too.
Old 04-17-09, 04:42 PM
Eworth
Driver

"did you also replace the longer sturb since you are adding spacer on it?"

If you meant wheel studs (sturb ) no. I used Ichiba version 2 wheel spacers and they have new studs in them. Research them on the vendor list. Several vendors have sold them. They work very nicely.
Old 04-17-09, 04:44 PM
Eworth
Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
Eworth, did you sell your shocks? if it's still in good condition, someone local may need it. Just a thought- but it may waste your time too.

Still have them. Haven't sold them. They rode great!!!

I've never sold in the classifieds plus wouldn't I need someone to vouch for me? I've never met anyone on the forum since I'm relatively new at this.
Old 04-17-09, 05:20 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I would keep them to, they won't last as long as they would at stock height but IMO it would be a waste to switch them out after 3k miles. I'm on DF-210's and stock shocks, they'll probably need to be replaced by next year but they've been fine for now.
Old 04-17-09, 05:21 PM
yanglgs430
Driver School Candidate

"did you also replace the longer sturb since you are adding spacer on it?"

If you meant wheel studs (sturb ) no. I used Ichiba version 2 wheel spacers and they have new studs in them. Research them on the vendor list. Several vendors have sold them. They work very nicely.
sorry, it is stud
Old 04-17-09, 06:11 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I am running a similar setup, though a tad more aggressive. Dropped on the DF210s with 20mm front and 25mm rear H&R Spacers, but 17" wheels on 50 series tires.

Your car looks great Nice work.
Both of you will have the same offset.
IIRC stock wheels are +50
GS460 wheels are +45
Old 04-17-09, 07:30 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Cars looking great..eworth. How does it ride like after the spacers? Was it just plug n play?
Old 04-17-09, 07:30 PM
yanglgs430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
I think I would keep them to, they won't last as long as they would at stock height but IMO it would be a waste to switch them out after 3k miles. I'm on DF-210's and stock shocks, they'll probably need to be replaced by next year but they've been fine for now.
But, do you think i will get better handling if switch to KYB . as i know, KYB
is more stiffer than OEM strut. any idea???
Old 04-17-09, 07:55 PM
Eworth
Driver

Originally Posted by denut-L
Cars looking great..eworth. How does it ride like after the spacers? Was it just plug n play?
Thanks for the compliment!! I did the springs, struts and spacers all at the same time so I can't say how the spacers alone changed the ride. It does turn very well but I will add a Daizen sway bar setup to finish it off. Yes, the spacers are plug and play. Very simple - very easy. Can't go wrong in my opinion for how they changed the appearance of the GS.
Old 04-17-09, 07:59 PM
Eworth
Driver

Originally Posted by yanglgs430
But, do you think i will get better handling if switch to KYB . as i know, KYB
is more stiffer than OEM strut. any idea???
In my humble opinion, I can't tell a difference between the stock struts and the KYBs. From what I've been told and especially since you just put in new struts... if I were you, I'd invest in a Daizen Sway bar set up based on positive comments that others have made on the forum. You have new struts, i wouldn't waste them since you put a good amount of coin into them. If they had been old like mine, that would have been another story.
Old 04-17-09, 09:44 PM
yanglgs430
Driver School Candidate

In my humble opinion, I can't tell a difference between the stock struts and the KYBs. From what I've been told and especially since you just put in new struts... if I were you, I'd invest in a Daizen Sway bar set up based on positive comments that others have made on the forum. You have new struts, i wouldn't waste them since you put a good amount of coin into them. If they had been old like mine, that would have been another story.

I check price for spacer. it takes about $300 for 2 pairs. the spacer are kinda expensive.
Old 04-17-09, 10:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

looks nice and clean. Conservative, but probably still rides like a Lexus

Quick Reply: A conservative mod set up for comfort, looks and handling ** Lotta Pics !! **