GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Blue or Super-White Inner Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-01, 01:21 PM
whtvenom

First, I have had the polar g's on my car for over a year and they finally burned out. The havn't caused any damage to the wiring.

Install notes. The passenger side is pretty easy, just remember that you have to turn the harness (I think counter clockwise) before pulling it out. The driver side is a pain in the ASSSSS. I think I left a scar on my hand trying to get at it. The difference is that their a large box in the way (pretty sure part of the computer) and it is difficult to get your hand in there. They are a little difficult to get in because the bulbs themselves are a little larger.

Good luck
Old 03-30-01, 06:43 PM
misterk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good memory jacob...

well, i havent been here in awhile...but yes, i have those m-6's. well, i think they are m-6's. but, they are hard to get in. you must be careful to not touch the bulb or they will burn out much faster. ive had my pair for about a year and still no problems. good luck. btw, i have a set of rims on sale now. check on this board and the classifieds for the gs.
Old 03-30-01, 11:55 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Polarg M4s and they don't have enough wattage so it's yellow still. I got some Polarg M6s today so maybe I'll try to take some pics to compare.

Old 03-31-01, 12:24 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey GlobeCLK,

You say you had the M4s and the light output was yellow? I can understand how they wouldnt be very bright but I don't see why its yellow...

Hey, let us know how those Polarg M-6s work!

Thanks!
Old 03-31-01, 02:01 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Intellexual
Hey GlobeCLK,

You say you had the M4s and the light output was yellow? I can understand how they wouldnt be very bright but I don't see why its yellow...

Hey, let us know how those Polarg M-6s work!

Thanks!

Sorry people, found out my original wedge bulbs are not Polarg M4s, but Raybrigs. OK but they're the same 12v5w so not too bright and also very yellow.

The 5w bulbs like my old Raybrigs and the M4s are actually the same. I think Hiper Industries, Raybrig, and Polarg are all made by Polarg or something. That's how I confused my Raybrigs with the M4s. Anyways when the wattage is not enough, there isn't enough penetration to actually go through the blue tint of the bulb, therefore still remaining yellow. (I'm just BSing, but that's the most reasonable explaination.)

GOT THE M6s IN!!! Look GREAT. Totally bluish white for DRLs, and matches the HIDs perfect. I took some pics comparing the M6s and the Raybrigs. Too lazy to get them out of my digicam, so I'll post them tomorrow (it's 2am now, kinda tired.)
Old 03-31-01, 10:54 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some pics I took.

Top picture: The left side is the Polarg M6 and the right side is the Raybrig tiny bulb. This is only the DRL so notice how bright the M6 is.

Bottom picture: This is the normal driving lowbeams. The inner lights are now very white, very close to the HIDs.
Attached Thumbnails Blue or Super-White Inner Bulbs?-blue-bulbs-overview.jpg  
Old 03-31-01, 11:10 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Hey Globe,

I'm somewhat confused. Aren't the DRL's just the Hi-Beams running on low power? How does the wedge bulb effect the DRLs?

These wedge bulbs only come on when you turn the light stalk to the parking light position, right?

Anyways, your car and those bulbs both look very good!

Old 03-31-01, 11:23 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Globe,

I'm somewhat confused. Aren't the DRL's just the Hi-Beams running on low power? How does the wedge bulb effect the DRLs?

These wedge bulbs only come on when you turn the light stalk to the parking light position, right?

Anyways, your car and those bulbs both look very good!

Thanks for the compliments man.

The DRLs are the tiny wedge bulbs in the inner light assemblies. DRLs are NOT high beams. It's closer to the center of the car than the high beam bulbs. when you don't turn on the light at all, only the wedge bulbs light up at very low wattage. One click, the wedge bulb lights up with higher wattage. Two clicks, the low beams light up, the high beams come on at low wattage, and wedge bulbs dim.

When I had my Raybrigs, my DRL was yellow, and when I drive at night the inner light is yellow, therefore not matching my HIDs. Now no matter when, the inner lights are just white, so it's much nicer.

I could be totally wrong again so someone please assure this.
Old 03-31-01, 11:50 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Whoa...Globe, this is weird.

I just went out to check my 2000 Platinum GS400 and the DRLs are most definitely the High-beams...I started the car, took off the parking brake and the hi-beams lit up, though at low wattage...

If I turn the headlight stalk once, both the wedges and the hibeams are lit up...I didnt try this, but I'm assuming If i turn the low beams on, the high beams will turn off leaving just the wedge and low beam on...

What's going on here??
Old 03-31-01, 12:01 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Whoa...Globe, this is weird.

I just went out to check my 2000 Platinum GS400 and the DRLs are most definitely the High-beams...I started the car, took off the parking brake and the hi-beams lit up, though at low wattage...

If I turn the headlight stalk once, both the wedges and the hibeams are lit up...I didnt try this, but I'm assuming If i turn the low beams on, the high beams will turn off leaving just the wedge and low beam on...

What's going on here??

Yeah ok, just found out I'm the biggest idiot in the world
Yes the DRLs are the high beams, haha I couldn't tell with the car not started
It does look alittle bluer because of the blue tint of the M6

But hey, one problem before was that besides the DRLs, driving at night with the yellow wedges are ugly. At least they're all blue now.

But DRLs still yellowish. .................... Gotta find a bulb that'll fix that.

thanks for the clarification.
So if you want blue DRLs these M6s won't help much, but when you're using just driving lights or low beams they are totally white. That's nice.

Old 04-01-01, 01:38 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Globe,

The DRLs in your top photos look pretty darn white.

I also have the Polargs. Whtvenom's post pretty much make mine redundant. I've had the Polargs on for almost a year and, like his, both of mine just burn't out. And it is a big pain in the booty to change them out. I broke the first two I bought. Thery're fatter than the standard and that drivers side is ridiculous. The bulbs also break very easily, so don't put any pressure on the bulb. After my dumbness, I bought 4 more bulbs - two extra for spares. After the burn-out I've noticed that I don't get any 'bulb-out' warnings. So I'm debating whether to leave the burnt ones in and have the two-light look. After using the polargs, I think I may actually like the four-light across blue look.

Brian
Old 04-01-01, 02:27 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

that's cool Brian.

Well now these wedge bulbs are REALLY bright, it used to be that when I drive at night, the HIDs are bright and the inner lights are dull and yellow. Now it's just 4 white lights across, pretty cool.
Old 04-01-01, 02:50 PM
SC_Speed
Rookie

I bet the super-whites give a little bit better performance but the blues look cooler... my friend got those $10 ones off ebay and they look really cool, but there is no improvement in light. If anything it gets worse. So... hyperwhite for performance, blues for looks. My 2 centz.
Old 04-02-01, 10:37 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

What about me? I have a 98, and I don't have DRL. I do not like the look of the stock parking light. I assume that if I change my inside bulb (not high beam) with the M6 I will have this same look when I have my parking lights on or low beams?
Old 04-02-01, 11:04 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default ***Polarg M6***

The animal wrote:
I assume that if I change my inside bulb (not high beam) with the M6 I will have this same look when I have my parking lights on or low beams?
That would be correct. Since our cars don't use DRL's, our park lamps (whether the headlights are on or not) will be this cool "super white" look! By the way I just got around to seeing GlobeCLK's pics. S-W-E-E-T! Can't wait to instal mine.
Any suggestions on the "MOST SIMPLE WAY" of installing these bad boys?

Quick Reply: Blue or Super-White Inner Bulbs?