GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Clean Your MAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 09:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
wait, what? which cars use this type of sensor? this is the first MAF car i have ever owned so this is really new to me....i was just about to clean mine tonight after reading this thread...and now im really concerned. i have a 98 gs400.
Well GS400 also uses a hotwire maf like the GS430, however its design is different, and its more difficult to clean. The GS430 MAF has the exposed sensor wire which is very accessible and very easy to clean. Its more difficult with GS400, because the wire is inside a tube, but luckily the GS400 MAF is not very expensive either, runs around $150.

However the first gen LS400, SC400, MK3 supra, and other Toyotas uses Karman Vortech AFM, which cant really be cleaned without destoroying it. And replacement units cost well over a grand.
Old 04-21-09, 09:11 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to turn this thread into a K&N bashing, but this really is a case of a company selling a bill of goods. I was in the Automotive business when K&N first made their big push, the old "Filtercharger" implying that the addition of their filter would somehow supercharge an engine. We used to get a big laugh out of that one. More recently, I talked to an automotive engineer. This guy was NOT a K&N fan by any means. He told me:

1) Every air filter passes some dirt into the engine. The size of these particles is so small as to be a non factor in engine wear. K&N uses a gauze type filter media that is considerably coarser than the accepted paper found in traditional filters. The only way this can work is with the addition of oil to attract and keep the dirt from passing into the engine. As a result, the K&N filter lets LARGER size dirt particles in than the stock paper element. These particles are still very small and not considered to be a factor in engine wear, but in any case, they are larger.

2) The average MAF was never designed to run anywhere near an oil soaked air cleaner element. There is a very fine line between sufficient and way too much oil. The average person tends to over-oil the K&N element. Since the MAF sits within a couple of inches of the air cleaner element, any excess oil ends up in the exact spot where it will do the most harm, the sensor wires and bulb on the MAF.

3) While the K&N does flow more air, most late model stock cars do not benefit as the stock air cleaner system is not a restriction.
I think I am going to go back to a stock filter.
Old 04-21-09, 10:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lets start a CL class action lawsuit against K&N
Old 04-21-09, 10:47 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Gawd... ive been stalling on the MAF cleaning.. to lazy to go bout MAF cleaner .. n its $6 a can =/

i should tho.. since for some odd reason i Stalled while idling over a speedbump.. i didnt even make it over n i stalled =[ wierd..
Old 04-21-09, 11:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

guys if u would learn how to oil your k&n you'll never have ne problems. had my k&n in my gs430 for bout 2 years and in my es300 for bout 5 years NOOOOOOOOOOOOO problems....only reason i cleaned my MAF (which was very clean btw) was cause i was cleaning my TB and that was filthy

if u don't over oil the filter you'll never have problems
Old 04-21-09, 12:19 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Well GS400 also uses a hotwire maf like the GS430, however its design is different, and its more difficult to clean. The GS430 MAF has the exposed sensor wire which is very accessible and very easy to clean. Its more difficult with GS400, because the wire is inside a tube, but luckily the GS400 MAF is not very expensive either, runs around $150.

However the first gen LS400, SC400, MK3 supra, and other Toyotas uses Karman Vortech AFM, which cant really be cleaned without destoroying it. And replacement units cost well over a grand.
cool, thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-09, 06:02 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

im assuming the Karman are the honeycomb one.

hermm
Old 04-21-09, 08:08 PM
tomtsops
Driver

is the MAF easy to clean on the GS300? Been to two auto parts stores in my area, and no one has MAF cleaner... pathetic. lol.
Old 04-21-09, 08:25 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

i have K&N's on almost every vehicle ive owned, never once had a problem to be honest. like everyone stated above just try not to over spray the filter and let it dry outdoors in the sun a bit before replacing it back into the filter chamber.
Old 04-21-09, 09:14 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spyder (aka vlad ) showed me how to do this a while ago. Definitely a change in performance on my GS. 154k miles, and still running!
Old 04-22-09, 09:56 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
guys if u would learn how to oil your k&n you'll never have ne problems. had my k&n in my gs430 for bout 2 years and in my es300 for bout 5 years NOOOOOOOOOOOOO problems....only reason i cleaned my MAF (which was very clean btw) was cause i was cleaning my TB and that was filthy

if u don't over oil the filter you'll never have problems
Do you have to take the throttle body off the car to clean it on a 430? Removing it entails draining the cooling system, not a big deal but I would have to budget more time if I decide to do that.

I am not so quick to condemn the K&N now. I think the MAF in my car has been in need of some attention for a long time, based on the performance increases I experienced cleaning it. The biggest mistake when using a K&N is over oiling it.
Old 04-22-09, 11:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike813
i have K&N's on almost every vehicle ive owned, never once had a problem to be honest. like everyone stated above just try not to over spray the filter and let it dry outdoors in the sun a bit before replacing it back into the filter chamber.

Originally Posted by Billh2
Do you have to take the throttle body off the car to clean it on a 430? Removing it entails draining the cooling system, not a big deal but I would have to budget more time if I decide to do that.

I am not so quick to condemn the K&N now. I think the MAF in my car has been in need of some attention for a long time, based on the performance increases I experienced cleaning it. The biggest mistake when using a K&N is over oiling it.
no, i just held it open. sprayed it on a lint free rag and wiped in,on,around,behind it and some in it...i then got a slightly higher rpm at idle so i unplugged battery and let it sit for a bout 30 mins then plugged it back and no problems.

k&n is fine as we all said IF u dont over oil it
Old 04-24-09, 12:03 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

I cleaned my MAF finally.. and well it didnt relaly solve my idle.. it drops to 480 rpm sometimes and blips up to 580 sometimes.

lets see if MPG improves!
Old 04-24-09, 12:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Keep us updated
Old 04-24-09, 12:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

All I can say is that cleaned MAF sensor + cleaned throttle body + new spark plugs + SRT Intake with ECU is giving me a good 5mpg or so better. It's a significant difference.

Quick Reply: Clean Your MAF