GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Painted Calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 12:48 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Calipers...

did a search for this, and only found one result. the poster kept the calipers on the car while spraying and taped everything off...wouldnt it be better to take the calipers off while doing this?
Old 04-21-09, 01:12 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea but u dont have to. get the G2 kit on ebay. just remember not to spray/paint over the brake pins.
Old 04-21-09, 01:37 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I painted mine with the calipers on there. I took a bit of time to mask everything off properly though. Also sand off all of the rust, dirt and debris before spraying. Remember to spray in ideal temp. and humidity as well as in a garage so the wind doesn't cause overspray on your paint.
Old 04-21-09, 07:22 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
yea but u dont have to. get the G2 kit on ebay. just remember not to spray/paint over the brake pins.
crap mine are painted over
Old 04-21-09, 09:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i also did mine on....wasnt worth the time to take them off i felt
Old 04-21-09, 09:41 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

taking it off is the proper way to do it. shortcuts have their risks. if you are going to do it, do it right.
Old 04-21-09, 09:46 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep. i agree. the G2 paint is the best. thats what i used and recommend to everyone who's gonna do it
Old 04-21-09, 10:40 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

I saw some thread that people putting decal over a White painted caliper and then painted their color on and then peel the decal off the get the white Lexus lettering? Is that a good way to do it?
Old 04-21-09, 10:47 AM
1.5jzsupra
Rookie

sounds like to much work. just put the sticker (they come in white and black i think) on top of your desired color and spray clear over it.
Old 04-21-09, 10:57 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trav7414
I saw some thread that people putting decal over a White painted caliper and then painted their color on and then peel the decal off the get the white Lexus lettering? Is that a good way to do it?
You have to paint with the G2 (multiple coats) and wait for it to dry. Then you have to apply the stickers. Then you have to wait for the stickers to settle and get all the air bubbles out of them. Then you have to spray coats of high-temp clear coat on the stickers to prevent them from burning off from the heat of the brakes.

To do it right properly and not rushed, its an all day project (depending on how long you let dry).

Make sure you dont get the clear coat on the rest of the brake assembly or you may get overspray that could make your brakes squeek.
Old 04-21-09, 11:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 5t341th
taking it off is the proper way to do it. shortcuts have their risks. if you are going to do it, do it right.
if i was gonna do it "right" i would get a BBK and not have to worry bout this

You have to paint with the G2 (multiple coats) and wait for it to dry. Then you have to apply the stickers. Then you have to wait for the stickers to settle and get all the air bubbles out of them. Then you have to spray coats of high-temp clear coat on the stickers to prevent them from burning off from the heat of the brakes.

To do it right properly and not rushed, its an all day project (depending on how long you let dry).

Make sure you dont get the clear coat on the rest of the brake assembly or you may get overspray that could make your brakes squeek.
mine took about a day and a half of 3 coats paint, all drying in between then the sticker + layer of clear, dry, layer+ dry. i also did my rotor hats until i got my rotora rotors

i taped most of everything up but a little clear on the rotor is fine as it will go away after you drive a few miles
Old 04-21-09, 11:33 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
if i was gonna do it "right" i would get a BBK and not have to worry bout this

mine took about a day and a half of 3 coats paint, all drying in between then the sticker + layer of clear, dry, layer+ dry. i also did my rotor hats until i got my rotora rotors

i taped most of everything up but a little clear on the rotor is fine as it will go away after you drive a few miles
Exactamundo..... I touch up my calipers while they are on the car. Not that serious of a job.

This was before the touch up, I forgot to take the 'after' but as you can see, this is after 2 years of painting and the sticker is still clean. Just tape everything off and take your time. I can usually do mine in about an hour now in terms of touching it up. I do it once a year probably.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 04-21-09 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-21-09, 11:41 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

All you have to do is spend a little time cover the area that you don't want to spray on. Like most of the friends here mention..It is not worth it to take the time to remove the Calipers....
Old 04-23-09, 12:49 PM
1FastGS4
Driver School Candidate

Where can you get the sticker
Old 04-23-09, 01:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I painted my calipers and wheel hubs silver a few months ago and I am very happy with the results. I put about 3 coats on. I went with the Duplicolor brush on kit which was almost impossible to get in silver, I still have some left over and will probably paint my dads calipers when I change his brake pads. So far so good and I did it all in a day. One of these days I will probably get some Lexus stickers to put on the car. I saw a Infiniti G37 coupe with nice silverish grey calipers that had black "Infiniti" sticker or etched on them and they looked really nice.

Quick Reply: Painted Calipers...