GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Extra UCA clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 09:46 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra UCA clearance

If you're lowered enough you know your UCA's are slamming into your chasis and causing you to cringe every time. I meet a fabricator who confidently said he can do the box out and weld it up with ease. Being that he was so confident I instantly agreed to let him do the work. It's not that difficult to do, but finding someone who understands what needs to be done and willingness to do it is difficult to find. I couldn't be more happy with the end result.

Old 04-26-09, 09:51 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks completely OEM. That is some fine craftsmanship.
Old 04-26-09, 10:01 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrispy
Looks completely OEM. That is some fine craftsmanship.
Thanks Chris, that was exactly what I was looking for. I was thinking about doing the hole saw route, but I didn't want to see a hole every time I popped the hood.
Old 04-26-09, 10:03 AM
krappy
Rookie

what did it end up costing you?
Old 04-26-09, 10:08 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by taeng
Thanks Chris, that was exactly what I was looking for. I was thinking about doing the hole saw route, but I didn't want to see a hole every time I popped the hood.
I'm thinking about cutting some clean holes in my engine bay and chroming or polishing my UCAs because they will peek through the holes when I dump the car all the way down.
Old 04-26-09, 10:20 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

I'm thinking about cutting some clean holes in my engine bay and chroming or polishing my UCAs because they will peek through the holes when I dump the car all the way down.
That sounds like a cool idea, kinda bare bones show off like a ruckus LOL
Old 04-26-09, 11:05 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

niiice! i need to contact my welder for this too.
thanks for posting them up!!!
Old 04-26-09, 11:23 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

That would be pretty creative.

Taeng: That looks very clean and well-done. Problem solved! No more loud bangs over huge bumps and dips right?
Old 04-26-09, 08:11 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks i have been wanting to cut my front so when i air out it will go lower in the front but i don't think my problem is the upper control arm hits what size rims are you running because my tires rub before my control arms hit i do have 20s though ill have to take a closer look i am going to take the fenders off and see what i can do to get more clearance also install bump stops right before bottom out sucks to be stuck on the side of the road made a u turn and rubbed thru my air line forgot to re zip tie it when i did my brake upgrade also are you guys on bags or coil overs.i'll try to post pics when i do this it is sure nice to have welders and a plasma cutter in my garage !!!!!
Old 04-26-09, 08:26 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet, i would also like to know how much something like this would cost and how long did it take?
Old 04-26-09, 08:42 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tom steele
thanks i have been wanting to cut my front so when i air out it will go lower in the front but i don't think my problem is the upper control arm hits what size rims are you running because my tires rub before my control arms hit i do have 20s though ill have to take a closer look i am going to take the fenders off and see what i can do to get more clearance also install bump stops right before bottom out sucks to be stuck on the side of the road made a u turn and rubbed thru my air line forgot to re zip tie it when i did my brake upgrade also are you guys on bags or coil overs.i'll try to post pics when i do this it is sure nice to have welders and a plasma cutter in my garage !!!!!
He was also running 20s Maya RT5s.
Old 04-26-09, 09:28 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
That would be pretty creative.

Taeng: That looks very clean and well-done. Problem solved! No more loud bangs over huge bumps and dips right?
As for right now my UCA's haven't made contact. I'm also a 1/2 higher (still winter mode) then my normal height. Once my rims come in I'll bring it back down and see how it goes. I could tell you that I know it will help alot on dips and bumps, but if it's a big enough dip or bump I'm sure it will still make contact.
Originally Posted by tom steele
I had 20's before, running stock 17's now and will be running 19's soon. I'm on coils
Originally Posted by denut-L
Sweet, i would also like to know how much something like this would cost and how long did it take?
It costed a a pretty penny a little over $500, but I think it's well worth it. I won't have to cringe anymore or at least not as much and it looks OEM.
Old 04-27-09, 08:16 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for posting the pictures! The work looks amazing!
Old 04-27-09, 08:21 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

very clean in deed... looks great
Old 04-27-09, 09:12 AM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

That looks really good! I wonder if I can find someone here in cali to do that for me......

Quick Reply: Extra UCA clearance