GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What to do about the knock-off GS aka the Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-02, 10:42 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the educated and well thought out response. I knew when I first posted about your insecurities I could count on your inane ramblings. Please show me more of your wisdom, Altima boy.
Old 03-26-02, 03:10 PM
Swifty
Pole Position

i'm sorry but the body style of the Altima does not resemble the GS to me at all...if anything you should be baggin on the Sonata.
Old 03-26-02, 04:01 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by theanimala
Can you convince people not to purchase one?
Yes
Old 03-27-02, 08:40 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

I drove the new Infiniti last week that's a dressed up Altima just to see what it had -- specs 260 hp and 260 lb-ft. I was expecting more. The transmission was odd, and the power/torque kind of unpredictable. Interior is very spartan compared to a GS. Probably a very well built and reliable car at a reasonable price, but no competition, IMHO.
Old 03-27-02, 10:11 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

haha, dude, I was about to write not a complain but more like a opinion to one of the car magazines, <cant remember if RD or CD>, it was about how designers seem to not be able to come up with new ideas, and they just copy design ideas from good sellers/quality cars to try to come out with a maybe good selling vehicle.. in a sense if you look at it in the advertisement pictures and other galleries you might find a resemblance <spell?> on...

the GS gauges, LS430 air on the front fascia <middle bumper up> even the headlights outer shape, Chrysler 300M tailights <shape> with IS300 style, also the trunk shape of the 300M, GS C-pillar, rear bumper integration a la Audi A6, and I think the list could go on, not only from lexus cars but other brands as well..,Im not trying to put the car down, but more the ppl who design them, cuz we all know there are several other new cars from other brands out there with borrowed design ideas, im just trying to wonder, where did originality go?
Old 03-27-02, 11:32 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Altima and G35

Ignore the Altima if you think it's a rip off. It's not. It's actually a very nice car for $25K or so. The 3.5 SE Altima basically hauls ***. If you have a GS300 (first gen. like mine or new one), don't race a 3.5 Se. They are as advertised. Nissan did a nice job on that car. Toyota should be taking notes.

The G35 looks like the Altima a bit, but it's more a Skyline than an Altima. For starters, it's a rear wheel drive car. I have not driven a G35, but I've seen a few on an Infinit lot in Vegas. They have a base model at $27K that is very spartan inside. However, I thought the $30-$35K cars were very nice inside. I am not crazy about the taillights. The G35 is aimed at the IS300, MBZ C class and BMW 3 Seires. I think it's funny that anyone with a GS is worried about that car. Not the same target market. Have a nice day
Old 03-28-02, 11:43 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

No matter what anyone thinks, it's still a Nissan. You can hook that car up with 19's in Chrome, Intake, Headers, Exhuast---make it faster than our beloved GS, but........it's still a Nissan.

Look at that new Daewoo---the front lights are knocking off the GS and Jaguar---but it's still a *****in Daewoo. Just like someone on this thread said, everyone will always bite off each other's design, but it's the quality and luxury of the car that makes it what it is. I'm just happy to say that my car is fast, luxurious, sporty, classy....and not a *****in Nissan, Honda, or Daewoo!!!!

Old 03-28-02, 03:39 PM
jinu117
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by ap0718
No matter what anyone thinks, it's still a Nissan. You can hook that car up with 19's in Chrome, Intake, Headers, Exhuast---make it faster than our beloved GS, but........it's still a Nissan.
And GS is still a Toyota.. what was the point?
Old 03-28-02, 08:11 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I'll tell you what the point is Jinu117, Nissan was in the *****ter not even a year ago, as opposed to Toyota who sells over 5 million cars worldwide. Add to the fact that their luxury division can't even give away their cars says alot about Nissan's marketing strategy. Please don't compare Nissan to Toyota, they're not even remotely close, not in sales, not in quality, not in reliability, and not in public perception. I won't even bring Lexus into this.
Old 03-29-02, 06:56 AM
jasonnewyork
Driver School Candidate

You are all hypocrits. Pointing fingers at Nissan for copying your beloved GS? Personally, I think the two cars look completely different. Again, you purchased a car from a company that is entirely based on duplication. What is a LS400? A pathetic attempt at replicating a MB S-Class. The IS300 is failed attempt to out pace the the ultimate sports sedan: BMW 3-series. I find this post completely off base.
Old 03-29-02, 07:51 AM
MaxOwner
Rookie

you guys really let me down man.. really let me down ..
Old 03-29-02, 12:49 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Nissan

I think it's a shame to trash on Nissan as a car maker because you own a Toyota or Lexus or whatever. Nissan is doing a good job now. They are making nice cars. I don't think there is a significant difference between Toyota and Nissan in terms of vehicle reliability. Nissan makes some nice cars with great engines.

I am an owner of a Lexus and a Toyota (AE86 Corolla GTS). In the Toyota / AE86 message boards, all of the criticism is directed at Hondas. I don't get it either way. To each his own.

Off hand, I can't think of a Toyota, Nissan or Honda that I would hesitate to buy based on build quality and reliability. For it's part, Nissan is basically handing Toyota it's *** right now with exciting new cars. Toyota will wake up eventually, I hope.