GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What to do about the knock-off GS aka the Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-02, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Default What to do about the knock-off GS aka the Altima?

Okay, time to vent. You know when I saw it, I liked it. Okay it is cool, a great car for 25k. But the more I look at it, it reminds me TOO MUCH of our beloved GS. TOO MUCH. The C-pillar the doors, it just screams it. My pops says to me, "Damn Nissan and that new Altima I cannot believe how much it looks like your car."

I am chilling with some chics Friday, while riding "Hey, what's that new car, looks just like a Lexus, like yours"...

I am at the local hang out gas station, Altima owners looking at me like it's the other way around.

Then these people LOVE to race! 2.5 or 3.5 IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT IS!?!??!

The gauges AHHHHHHHHH, maybe I am nuts and I know imitation is the sincerist form of flattery....

BUT DAMN THAT!
Old 03-18-02, 06:05 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are kidding right? It has 4 wheels that is the only similarity I see with this car. If ANYTHING its a complete rip off of the Chrysler 300M styling that was introduced in 99.

If you guys should be pissed at anyone it should be at Toyota. They are the ones making 25k cars that look the same as the GS at 40/50k!
Old 03-18-02, 06:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Hohlraum

If you guys should be pissed at anyone it should be at Toyota. They are the ones making 25k cars that look the same as the GS at 40/50k!
? elaborate.
Old 03-18-02, 06:13 PM
LexFather

You win a cookie!
You are kidding right? It has 4 wheels that is the only similarity I see with this car. If ANYTHING its a complete rip off of the Chrysler 300M styling that was introduced in 99.
WOW!! That made ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!
Old 03-18-02, 06:31 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its just "SICK"ENING to see that new altima.
Old 03-18-02, 06:46 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my girl has one and i have to say that they are a blatant rip-off of our beloved GS. from the C-pillar, to the short trunk lid, and lets not even talk about the gauges. the other doctor in the office brought it to my attention. the running joke is he likes the color of her lexus better than mine.........jerk!!! but when you get in one you absolutely know its no Lex. cheap plastic inside, cheesy shifter, and the exterior panels have no substance whatsoever......they feel like tin foil. you guys are right imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and im flattered.

Doc
Old 03-18-02, 07:24 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the Altima is a blatant rip off. Too bad they can't do it right like Lexus. The Altima trunk slants inwards too much and the engine bay doesn't have the same body or volume as a GS. The grille is ugly as is the rear. Plus the contour and shape of it looks awkward and GS headlights are way better. The interior is the spoiler of the entire car, may be a GS on the outside, but it's a Geo on the inside. I would compare the Altima more to a cheapo version of the Avalon. There is a discussion going on how the Altima can toast a GS4 over in the SC forums. It's kind of a long random thread, but here it is...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=3
Old 03-18-02, 08:48 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My cousin has a 3.5 Litre Altima and I think it looks pretty nice (Gotta admit the price is good too).. Yes the gauges are WAY too much like our GS cluster but if you are gonna steal why not from the best.. The way I look at it when Nissan can create the touchy feely things (Engine, Interior and overall SOLID feel) that make Lexus vehicles special then i'll worry but until then such is life in car design.. Everybody steals from everybody else.. Look how much some of MB and BMW cars are beginning to look like a Lexus.. Especially the new 5 series!
Old 03-21-02, 05:43 PM
gs430what
Driver School Candidate

Everyone is "borrowing" from Lexus' designs these days...

I guess everyone is just beginning to realize how hot these cars actually are...
Old 03-21-02, 08:26 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

IMO , i like the Altima . Its a car i would buy too trash around in . Places you wouldnt take the lexus but wouldnt care about taking the Altima .

On car designs , i think designers just can't think of anything anymore . So they borrow styling cues from other cars .
Old 03-21-02, 08:27 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default guys...do me a favor...

sick, especially you bro...check out my thread in the GS forum "GS400 Owners Please Read"
Old 03-22-02, 01:07 PM
omegadoug
Driver School Candidate

I like the Altima.

I think it's a perfectly good car to park at an airport. I think it would be a great car to park in a busy supermarket. I think it would be a great car for my son to smear an icecream cone all over the back seat. If someone is going to barf in your car, you can't beat an Altima.

It's a great car for someone who thinks they're getting something they're not.

It's like these knuckleheads that mod out their Civics, with chrome rims and 9 inch fart cans, etc... I think, "you know what buddy, it's still a Civic".

I'll drive home tonight in the sweet, smooth, serene silence of my GS knowing full well I have gotten what I paid for.
Old 03-26-02, 06:19 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a knock-off GS...and it's not even as good as an Altima!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43177
Old 03-26-02, 07:03 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

What's more disturbing then any 'similarity' is that you get yourself upset about it and feel the need to complain about it! Is there a reason you asked the question "what to do about the knock-off GS aka the Altima?" I mean, what can you do? Can you go to Nissan and have them change the design? No. Can you convince people not to purchase one? No. Can you live with and enjoy your vastly superior car without feeling threated by an average priced but decent sedan? Apparently not.

Stop complaining and drive around some. Maybe you'll be able to live with it. If you feel so threatened, maybe you should be looking at buying one for yourself...
Old 03-26-02, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Mr. the animila or whatever. It was slight humor, no one is losing any sleep over any Altima. So u can shove your idealist preachings where the sun don't shine.:eek:

Quick Reply: What to do about the knock-off GS aka the Altima?