GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Electrical/Wiring issue PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 11:17 PM
bg_281
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical/Wiring issue PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

About 2 hours ago I was removing my viper alarm... Well if any of you are familiar with viper products I had also installed the window control modules (lets me roll windows up and down with remote) So I was removing the window control modules and I cut the two wires at the same time, well I did not know that one of those wires was connected to 12v constant and when I cut the wires they started smoking so then all of the rubber insulation on the wires started melting away, so I ran to the battery and disconnected the ground to prevent a fire. so after removing the entire alarm I got the car to start up but now I noticed that my gauges won't light up, I cannot put my car in gear, the ac, clock, and radio all do not work and also when the car is off and I turn the key from accessory to ignition the chime sound does not change and even after I start the car the chime does not stop... I checked all the fuses and everything else that I could think of and I am now leaning toward the computer got fried... if anyone knows what I can do to troubleshoot this issue please let me know because as of right now I am without transportation...
Old 04-30-09, 11:47 PM
mD5
Rookie

have you verified with a DMM that the fuses are good? fuses can sometimes look good but have alot of resistance not allowing enough current to flow through and not allow things to work. check relays and things too. hope you get everything figured out, but you might as well check with a meter before you start throwing parts at the car.
Old 05-01-09, 12:53 AM
1conbaba
Rookie

Trace it back from the source that feed that window rool up module, sound less likely the main fuse that feed source to all the accessories is blown, look for big square block fuse 40A or maybe even 50A just to make sure. in event of short-out like this the next fuse in that feed is blown, this case it might be the 30A fuse and go up from there! goodluck bud!
Old 05-01-09, 05:27 AM
bg_281
Driver

Originally Posted by mD5
have you verified with a DMM that the fuses are good? fuses can sometimes look good but have alot of resistance not allowing enough current to flow through and not allow things to work. check relays and things too. hope you get everything figured out, but you might as well check with a meter before you start throwing parts at the car.
yea I'm about to check all the fuses with a test light right now

Originally Posted by 1conbaba
Trace it back from the source that feed that window rool up module, sound less likely the main fuse that feed source to all the accessories is blown, look for big square block fuse 40A or maybe even 50A just to make sure. in event of short-out like this the next fuse in that feed is blown, this case it might be the 30A fuse and go up from there! goodluck bud!
I'll check those right now... thanks
Old 05-01-09, 06:13 AM
mD5
Rookie

[QUOTE=bg_281;4484823]yea I'm about to check all the fuses with a test light right now

test light is not an interchangeable term for DMM. you cant test amperage with a test light.
Old 05-01-09, 09:43 AM
1conbaba
Rookie

Another place to check is those location your viper alarm constant 12v hookup to and double check your ignition wire harness make sure each of them(acc,ign...) power up when turn the key
Old 05-01-09, 11:17 AM
bg_281
Driver

Well one of my friends came by today and he has this tool that connects up to the battery and and can put out positive and negative signal using the cars power... so long story short we put power to the 12v constant wire in the main harness, and when the wire got power everything worked like normal... basically telling us that there is a blown fuse somewhere because that particular wire is not getting power... Well the problem now is that we cannot find which fuse is blown because all the fuses we checked were in working condition.. so I don't know if it is the main relays, or something else that is messed up... If anyone has any idea of what it could be please let me know... thanks -Jayson
Old 05-01-09, 11:18 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

There is a fuse junction block on the driver's side kick panel. Also another one on the passenger's right kick panel. Try checking or disconnect the ECU fuse for few minutes see if it helps. Check for blown fuses from the kick panels. If none are blown, then I think you are ok, IMHO. Just disconnect the ECU's fuses (there are a few ecu's) see if it works if not leave the battery disconnected for a long time see if it would reset. GL!
Old 05-02-09, 12:19 AM
1conbaba
Rookie

What about the alarm you took out, did you have the shop installed or did it yourself? sometime as a power-kill device using a relay hook up to your alarm 500ma output to switch the the source on and off keep car from start by intruder, trace that wire that not getting power see if it lead to any relay and see where it goes may be lead to a blown fuse down the line. again what you not getting? acc am i correct?
Old 05-02-09, 12:37 AM
1conbaba
Rookie

At your ignition wire harness under steering wheel remove plastic panel where your knees are to gain access, these are big wires,check for power if you turning the key slowly through all position. what year is your car? this is off 98-03
12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE/BLUE (+)
STARTER BLACK (+)
IGNITION 1 BLACK/YELLOW (+)
IGNITION 2 BLACK/WHITE (+)
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLUE/YELLOW (+)
Old 05-03-09, 11:02 AM
bg_281
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
There is a fuse junction block on the driver's side kick panel. Also another one on the passenger's right kick panel. Try checking or disconnect the ECU fuse for few minutes see if it helps. Check for blown fuses from the kick panels. If none are blown, then I think you are ok, IMHO. Just disconnect the ECU's fuses (there are a few ecu's) see if it works if not leave the battery disconnected for a long time see if it would reset. GL!
yea we check all the fuses in the car every single one is good...

Originally Posted by 1conbaba
At your ignition wire harness under steering wheel remove plastic panel where your knees are to gain access, these are big wires,check for power if you turning the key slowly through all position. what year is your car? this is off 98-03
12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE/BLUE (+)
STARTER BLACK (+)
IGNITION 1 BLACK/YELLOW (+)
IGNITION 2 BLACK/WHITE (+)
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLUE/YELLOW (+)
its an 01 GS430... basically whats happening when I turn the key from 1st click to second click it doesn't make any difference... I went ahead and drove the car to my mechanic to let them figure it out cuz I just couldn't get it... and while I was on the way up there it became obvious that the alternator was working because my car just died out on the road so I had to have it towed... I have to have a vehicle for work on Monday so hopefully they will get it...
Old 03-22-12, 10:35 PM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

any updates on the issue?