GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus Corporation WON'T replace my headlights due to condensation

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09 | 02:43 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Default Lexus Corporation WON'T replace my headlights due to condensation

OK so hears the deal Called up Lexus due to a condensation issue in my headlights and they told me that it would cost 1200.00 per side, but he said that i can call costumer satisfaction and possibly have them resolve the issue.

Called them up and they reviewed my case and denied the Good Will claim, but my car is out of warranty, so I also told her that i am not the only person out there having this problem and i sent her a link to a poll on the forums and I'm pretty sure she didn't even look at it. Still she told me that they could not do anything about.

I argued with for almost 10 minutes. She was saying on how her car does not do it and she has an 07 RX. Ok first of all I have a Gs and You have no clue what half of us go through with these stupid headlights. After arguing with her I told her that I will infact get them replaced from you guys one way or another and i told her this was the worst costumer service I had got from anyone and then I hung up on her!!

So now I have called a different place regarding Lexus and will be filling a dispute form regarding the customer satisfaction that i had received and what my current issue is. When i had requested to speak to the president of Lexus she had told me that she could not give me the number which was kinda stupid

Heres the Letter i sent to them.....

I would like to bring this matter to your attention, as I have not had much luck with Customer Service reps within your organization.

I have recently purchased a 2002 Lexus Gs300 Sports Design (Special Edition).Prior to this purchase I did a lot of research on this car and decided that it was the best thing to buy in terms of quality and reliability of the GS.Shortly after I bought it I noticed a great deal of condensation in all the headlights (both high beam and the low beam HID’s) whenever it rained or I washed the car with your normal ordinary hose. I had called Classic Lexus of Mentor, Ohio and brought this to their attention and they said that since the warranty had expired they would not replace the headlights under warranty.I strongly feel that given the legendary commitment Lexus has to its customers, this should not go ignored. I did some more research on the Internet and discovered that this is NOT an isolated incident of condensation in the headlights. Quite a few owners of this car have had their headlights replaced a couple of times (yes, more than once) before the warranty had expired. In my opinion, this is clearly a manufacturing defect and needs to be treated as such by Lexus.

In all my car ownership years, I have never owned a car that had this problem, and i find issue completely inexcusable. If this issue had came up prior to my warranty expiring this issue might have already been taken care of.

As a gesture of good will on Lexus part I strongly feel that Lexus should replace the headlights on my car (all four headlights) for free as soon as possible. This will just solidify Lexus motto – “The relentless pursuit of perfection”.

I strongly believe that Lexus should have recalled the headlamps instead of not acknowledging the problem what so ever.

I am not the only person experiencing this issue.

Heres a link to The Club Lexus Forums that I am apart of. This proves I'am no the only one experiencing this issue.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tion-poll.html
Old 05-01-09 | 03:17 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

LOL, it does suck. But, you are out of warranty. Just be thankful the only thing to complain about is moisture in the headlights. FWIW, mine were replaced and the moisture is back.
Old 05-01-09 | 03:18 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Uh, your car is 7years old? and you don't have a warranty? I don't think many would agree with your position that you should get it replaced for free. What is the use of the warranty that people are paying for, if non-warranty people are getting same work for free?

I bet if you had a car-buying history of like 2 new lexuses in addition to the 7year old used car, maybe they would've good-willed you some repair.

You should've blamed the previous owner for not getting it fixed while it was still under warranty.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-01-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-01-09 | 05:08 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

most dealers will give good will claims if you have a steady service record with their dealership. this means you spent a good chunk of money there.

i think you're out of luck with this warranty issue unless you know a service manager that can hook you up.

good luck

Last edited by corkycal; 05-01-09 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-01-09 | 05:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

IIRC, you only get replacements if your car is new and still under warranty, officially.
Old 05-01-09 | 06:17 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

lol...thanks for the read.
Old 05-01-09 | 06:31 PM
Emackny
Racer

Originally Posted by speedaddic
lol...thanks for the read.
^^Ditto..
Old 05-01-09 | 06:40 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

that story was.....
anyway, u can fix it urself. i did it. do a search and u will see them
Old 05-01-09 | 06:43 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raytseng
Uh, your car is 7years old? and you don't have a warranty? I don't think many would agree with your position that you should get it replaced for free. What is the use of the warranty that people are paying for, if non-warranty people are getting same work for free?

I bet if you had a car-buying history of like 2 new lexuses in addition to the 7year old used car, maybe they would've good-willed you some repair.

You should've blamed the previous owner for not getting it fixed while it was still under warranty.

agreed!

"all my car ownership years, I have never owned a car that had this problem, and i find issue completely inexcusable"

"As a gesture of good will on Lexus part I strongly feel that Lexus should replace the headlights on my car (all four headlights) for free as soon as possible. This will just solidify Lexus motto – “The relentless pursuit of perfection”."

and dude if you are asking for some free , dont make it so demanding. Ask nicely

Last edited by garbage85; 05-01-09 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-01-09 | 08:00 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Epic failure haha.

Anyways, it could be your own fault. Sometime people don't put their bulbs in right, they just get them to fit, but not seal correctly, so make sure your doing that.

Also, you can re-seal yourself. Bake the headlights for 220* for about 10-15 minutes, peal the cover off, add more sealant or spread the oringal stuff around more evenly to ensure a tight seal.

I had a leak due to me painting my headlights black, and not resealing properly, but i jsut took them part last night, re-sealed it, and sprayed water on it and no moisture anymore!
Old 05-01-09 | 10:18 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus corporate will not honor the good will unless you have previous history with purchasing lexus. I myself received good will head light replacement on my IS300 and GS300 from lexus corporate. But again, my family has owned over 8 lexus in the last five year. I myself have own 3 so far in the last five year so that goes to tell you that they simply don't give out good will unless they know that you've spent a considerable amount of money on the brand.
Old 05-01-09 | 11:12 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

wowwwwww. Good luck with that buddy.
Old 05-01-09 | 11:18 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by garbage85
Ask nicely
pretty please, Mr. Lexus?
Old 05-02-09 | 12:00 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

It does not hurt to try. For all we know he might get it replace

Thats $2,400 saved. GL
Old 05-02-09 | 01:43 AM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

I called Lexus for the same problem with my 1997 es300. Goodwill replaced it for free. But this was back in 2001 and the car was only a few months out of factory warranty.
I think if you were a little out of warranty they would replace but not if it is years out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Lexus Corporation WON'T replace my headlights due to condensation