GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Rears RUB... what to do..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 09:20 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its gotta be the 35 series on your rears and your shaving... shave some more off.

because I have the same size rear tires 255/35/20 but crappy kumhos and it rubs when I dump with adding a 15mm spacer on but if I dump it without the spacers it clears perfectly from my fender, but then it looks ugly with the gap between the wheel and fender so I tossed the spacer back on so I can get that stance but I had to raise the car up a bit. I shaved the fender with about 5mm left... Im gonna shave it all off once I get new set of wheels.... and I know to go with 30 series in the rears next time.

here was my issue... I still have the issue but not as bad anymore because I added the positive camber insert for the SAGE RCA kit Im using.

Here are pictures of how I like my rears to be but the issue's im getting:

I dont know if you can see where I marked it but its that area where the bumper meets.

The shredding on the tire... the rear passenger is barely marking just rubbing

My stance as of right now....

Dara
Old 05-04-09, 10:25 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DPromGS
its gotta be the 35 series on your rears and your shaving... shave some more off.

because I have the same size rear tires 255/35/20 but crappy kumhos and it rubs when I dump with adding a 15mm spacer on but if I dump it without the spacers it clears perfectly from my fender, but then it looks ugly with the gap between the wheel and fender so I tossed the spacer back on so I can get that stance but I had to raise the car up a bit. I shaved the fender with about 5mm left... Im gonna shave it all off once I get new set of wheels.... and I know to go with 30 series in the rears next time.

here was my issue... I still have the issue but not as bad anymore because I added the positive camber insert for the SAGE RCA kit Im using.

Here are pictures of how I like my rears to be but the issue's im getting:

I dont know if you can see where I marked it but its that area where the bumper meets.

The shredding on the tire... the rear passenger is barely marking just rubbing

My stance as of right now....

Dara
do you have aggressive offsets in rear ?? do you have 11" wide rears ??
Old 05-04-09, 10:52 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

DpromGS-- Take a dremel to that area. use a cutting wheel and just cut out as much as you can. I did, and there is no longer an issue.
Old 05-04-09, 11:39 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
do you have aggressive offsets in rear ?? do you have 11" wide rears ??
I dont think its aggressive I dont know the offset but Im guessing +35?? and its 10.5 in the rear with a 15mm spacer added

Originally Posted by Jedidiah
DpromGS-- Take a dremel to that area. use a cutting wheel and just cut out as much as you can. I did, and there is no longer an issue.
I can cut that part off? I was looking into cutting that section but I wasnt sure it that was a main important stabilizing part of the rear quarter panel because if not then you just made my night and Im looking forward to cut down that part more so I can tuck the wheels

Dara
Old 05-05-09, 03:27 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From a Maxima to this. It looks beautiful! I am in love with those wheels, man!
Old 05-05-09, 05:41 AM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

I dont think its aggressive I dont know the offset but Im guessing +35?? and its 10.5 in the rear with a 15mm spacer added

I can cut that part off? I was looking into cutting that section but I wasnt sure it that was a main important stabilizing part of the rear quarter panel because if not then you just made my night and Im looking forward to cut down that part more so I can tuck the wheels

Dara
Dara,

Its plastic and metal, and frankly when you decide to run that low you are making the decision to do whatever it takes to make it work. That will involve cutting, pulling, hacking, whatever IMO.

I can only speak to my experience, but a dremel with a cutter blade and some safety glasses did the trick for me, and I see no reason after the fact that would hinder the stability of any part of the car.

Ben
Old 05-05-09, 09:07 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Dara,

Its plastic and metal, and frankly when you decide to run that low you are making the decision to do whatever it takes to make it work. That will involve cutting, pulling, hacking, whatever IMO.

I can only speak to my experience, but a dremel with a cutter blade and some safety glasses did the trick for me, and I see no reason after the fact that would hinder the stability of any part of the car.

Ben
Ben,

Thanks now Im anxious and can't wait for my weekend so I can get on with this issue!! thanks a lot

oh btw.... I friggin love your ride when you first posted pictures the first time!!

Dara
Old 05-05-09, 10:55 AM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Ben,

Thanks now Im anxious and can't wait for my weekend so I can get on with this issue!! thanks a lot

oh btw.... I friggin love your ride when you first posted pictures the first time!!

Dara
Very kind of you to say Dara.

At this point you are committed to riding low. The reality is our cars aren't worth much of anything, so any hacking /cutting you can do to insure a "non-rubbing" ride can only increase the value of the car in my book. Not to mention your overall enjoyment.

I finally dialed in my fenders to where there is no rubbing minus the occassional lip of wheel hitting the edge of the fender, which frankly makes me
Old 05-05-09, 02:29 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So cut my fenders some more.. lowered a lil more its good on the driver side.. but i think its rubbing the same place as DpromGs.. got to look into it once i get back from work.. and do you guy ride with passengers in the back?
Old 05-05-09, 02:37 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eyecon7
So cut my fenders some more.. lowered a lil more its good on the driver side.. but i think its rubbing the same place as DpromGs.. got to look into it once i get back from work.. and do you guy ride with passengers in the back?

Unless they are good looking women, I would start to consider labeling your car a coupe vs. a sedan. Another sacrifice to riding low... its definitely a commitment on coils.
Old 05-05-09, 02:52 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless they are good looking women, I would start to consider labeling your car a coupe vs. a sedan. Another sacrifice to riding low... its definitely a commitment on coils.
LMAO.............
Old 05-05-09, 10:55 PM
ray123
Lead Lap

it looks sick..wen we doing mine??
Old 05-05-09, 10:55 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

so i went up the drive way.. and my wheel was off the ground..... too many sacrifices here.. i always have people with me great...
Old 05-05-09, 10:56 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ray123
it looks sick..wen we doing mine??
when ever let me kno... i went threw about 20 dremal pads.. lol
Old 05-05-09, 11:07 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Lol I experienced my left rear wheel getting locked up the driveway when my right rear wheel went off of the ground was stuck there waiting for my brother to come help me push it off the driveway lol

Dara

Quick Reply: My Rears RUB... what to do..