GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question about SS You Zealand kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 11:31 AM
03aristo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about SS You Zealand kit

From what ive searched on the forum, this kit will only work if you have coilover setup right? Can it be use to lower your car if you have stock suspension. I was going to get it on ebay to lowered my car using stock suspension but after reading a few threads on it, it seem that it only works with you already have coilovers. Can some one clarify that, thanks
Old 05-07-09, 02:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03aristo
From what ive searched on the forum, this kit will only work if you have coilover setup right? Can it be use to lower your car if you have stock suspension. I was going to get it on ebay to lowered my car using stock suspension but after reading a few threads on it, it seem that it only works with you already have coilovers. Can some one clarify that, thanks
If you just want to use it to lower your car it can be done. Just slap them on. Problem is you'll have no camber correction since it replaces the rear camber adjustment bolt, and since you don't have coilovers you can't raise the coilovers back up to minimize camber. So you are stuck with whatever camber you have unless you then buy adjustable upper or lower control arms.
Old 05-07-09, 02:40 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 03aristo
its not only with coilovers, someone just recently put sages rcas on there car and had df210s he said it went down another inch.
Old 05-07-09, 02:55 PM
Ddot808
Pole Position

i had the same question before, check this link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs98-05-a.html
Old 05-07-09, 03:04 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need coilover. I would skip the youzealand and buy from Exact Motorsport or Todd in the vendor section. I would buy the front and rear. The front will drop about 1" and rear about 3/4" ..double check.

It's been asked many times... you don't need it coilover. But it's a good idea to get one. If your car is high mileage, more than likely your stock shocks are gone. It's a good time to buy springs and shocks...or go coilovers.
Old 05-07-09, 03:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

The RCA will lower any car with any suspension by the amount of its thickness. That is what they supposed to do. The benefit with using them with coil overs is you can elect to raise the coil over back up with the amount the RCA lowered the car, thus retaining the same ride height as you have before the RCA, but with less negative camber at that same ride height than before. If you choose to not raise your car back up, you simply will be lower with even more negative camber. You can even use RCA's with the stock suspension for about a 1" drop, and probably the stock camber adjustments will have enough room to keep you within OEM specs. That would be a perfect way to retain that smooth OEM Lexus ride with a slightly lower stance.
Old 05-07-09, 03:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

To add, I would buy front and rear together. Especially if you have stock HIDs with auto leveling. If you just get either the front or rear with out the matching axle, you headlights will be off and you'd have to make the proper adjustments from the leveling arms either in the front or rear lower control arms.
Old 05-07-09, 08:39 PM
03aristo
Rookie

WOw, cool thanks for all the info guys.
Old 05-07-09, 10:11 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

they sell rca's on ebay?
Old 05-08-09, 01:37 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

no... I never found any rca's on ebay. You have to check the classified section or vendor section.
Old 05-08-09, 01:55 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can use them on spring/shock setup. You will drop by 1", but by doing that...you will have negative camber. No adjustment for the front RCA...you just have to live with the added negative camber that comes from 1" drop. The important thing is that it corrects the geometry of the suspension...and maybe relieve stress to the Lower Ball Joint...which tends to fail on lowered cars.

Exact and SAGE rear RCAs have camber insert adjustments...so the rear camber can be "corrected"....even on spring/shock setup.

If you have coilovers, you can raise coilovers 1" to compensate for the 1" RCA drop....giving you the same height before and after RCA installation. Raising the coilovers will add positive camber...and allow for more suspension travel
(less chance of bottoming out)...and maybe less pressure/stress on the piston seals.

Back to the question about the You Zealand Body SS kit. Their rear kit (RCA) does NOT have any camber insert adjustment. You will lower the car by 1"...and live with the camber that comes with it.

Last edited by PHML; 05-08-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 11:20 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

If you use the RCA with the stock suspension, you can still adjust front camber via the stock camber adjustment bolt. The adjustment wont be a lot, but it should get you back within or at least close to stock specs as a 1" drop via RCA is basically the same as a 1" spring drop. As PHML mentioned, if you go with an RCA like Sage that has the camber offset inserts, you loose the stock camber adjustment bolt, but you gain fixed amount camber correction via the inserts.