GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crankcase pulley gear help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 05:49 PM
Klingendog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankcase pulley gear help!!

Ive been reading this forum for a while now and with the help of many i have performed many things on my car. On with the business....... i have a gs 300 2000 160,000 miles and i am in the process of doing a timing belt job, everything has been pretty straightforward until i got to the crankcase pulley gear...... my question is.... after taking off the drive belt pulley i have to remove the sprocket gear that hides the front crank seal..... how do you remove it or what are the thread sizes on the sprocket..... the service manual says 8mm 1.5 mm pitch, thats cool and all but that is not the size required...its too big. i need any info available to finish the job. thanks for any input. by the way the dealer told me to go to autozone for the part.....guess what, they dont have one.

shout out to jeff.... watched your video and decided to the job myself, your the man. the videos helped a ton.

anyone in orlando looking to the job on their own, let me know, i have the seal puller and the crankcase bolt tool. i can give some advice as well as pics also
Old 05-12-09, 07:26 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad my videos helped out.

If I recall correctly, it's the same thread as any other 10mm head bolt on the car. Just take a 10mm head bolt off something in the engine bay and see if that thread will go into the gear...it should. Goto auto parts store for the pulley puller tool if you don't already have one(you should of used one for the crank pulley). Then goto a hardware store that specializes in metric fasteners and tell them you want two bolts 2.5 or 3" long with a thread of the one you give them. Take it back home and that pulley will come right off.

DO NOT, I repeat...DO NOT try to pry that pulley off from the back side with a screw driver. You will break the teeth off the wheel and end up having to purchase a new one for about $70. Also keep in mind there is a small tab you need to unbolt at the 5' O clock position of where that pulley is. It's a stopper to prevent the pulley from flying out, but will snap off the teeth on the gear if you forget to remove it. Don't ask me how I know lol.
Old 05-13-09, 10:05 AM
Klingendog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff

thanks for responding....... i dont have any bolts that small that will fit into the hole..... the book calls for 8mm and thats too big....could i have an aftermarket sprocket on the car? i got the car with 50000 miles. also, thanks for the tip on the bolt down there, i saw it and was questioning how to get the sprocket off with it in the way.... appreciate any other info you might have.. thanks