GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil Change DIY?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09 | 09:18 AM
rjheard
Driver

May as well put a fumoto valve on too for future use.
Old 05-19-09 | 10:30 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by sam430
Well, you'll get drips when you remove your oil filter if you don't take it from the bottom.

This filter is also recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

The left is what lexus recommend... the right is what I linked.

You also, as mentioned above, just remove the driver side cover and bend it (this is what I do), and let it drip that way. It's very easy to do. Plus, with the filter I linked, you won't need a filter remover the next time you change it. Just grip it with you hand. Also, when putting the filter on..tighten with your hand and don't use any tools... The oil you put on the seal will make a good seal.

As for the Oil plug, just make a snug fit...don't be scared. Just use your fingers/hand to screw the plug back on (no chance of stripping whatsoever)...then tighten it with tools (again, snug fit is good enough, it won't leak).

Drain plug is exposed... when you go under, you'll see it. I think you will have a tougher time jacking up the car... and maybe loosening the filter.
Sam.. with that larger filter did you have to add more oil.
I know the 4.3 takes 5.3 quarts. Did you just add the rest to fill the filter capacity?
Old 05-19-09 | 04:23 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

^ I did not add too much more but I think I did add more than factory recommendation. I just put close to factory recommendation then add a little at a time to make it sufficient. The filter above, right, is more efficient than the one on the left (pictured) because it has more surface area for the oil to flow and filter.

I would just follow the dipstick.

Last edited by sam430; 05-19-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-19-09 | 07:44 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Damn great responses everybody! this is what CL is about good looking out yall
Old 05-19-09 | 08:17 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Out of curiosity, do you have quad outlet's on your mufflers like your sig? I've never seen it on a 2nd Gen GS. I see it on Caddy's, TL's, and all sorts of others and wonder what they would look like on a GS.

Old 05-19-09 | 08:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

You can get oil filter straight from Lexus for under 9 dollars
Old 05-19-09 | 10:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
You can get oil filter straight from Lexus for under 9 dollars
yeah... but those are the shorter filter. The one I link, you will get two for the same price, plus it's has more volume.

Exclusive Micronic Filtration
Silicone Anti-Drain Back Valve - Retains oil in the filter for superior protection at start-up
PTFE Treated Sealing Gasket - reduces friction to assist in removal of the filter
More Pleats - Provide more filter surface area to prevent oil restriction and adds an extra measure of protection
Colors may vary: product may ship in blue or gold
PureONE is the cheapest insurance available for your car today. Does it make sense to spend hundreds, or thousands, of dollars on automobile insurance each year, and then turn around and save a buck or two by purchasing an oil filter with less quality? PureONE features exclusive Micronic Filtration media that traps even the smallest particles of dirt and grime before they get to your engine - particles too small for conventional filters to catch. Which is why PureONE is the top ranked filter in SAE tests at keeping your oil pure - and why no other filter provides better protection for your engine. This product comes in blue or gold.
The short filter goes to the LS430 and the long filter goes to the gs430 since I abuse that thing often. They share the same filter btw.

Last edited by sam430; 05-19-09 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-20-09 | 08:59 AM
memGS300
Driver

Is it easier to remove the oil filter from above or beneath? I have a GS300 and it looks very tight to get my hand down in there.

Also, I have those Rhino ramps that you can drive up onto that lift the front about 6-7" is that enough room to get underneath and drain oil?
Old 05-20-09 | 11:13 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

I removed mine from underneath. It's already has an openning to access it. I have an 04 gs430 btw. I just use Toyota oil filter. Bought them a case at a time for cheap. There like under $4 each. They're already greased filter. Just remove the little plastic and put them on. I also put new washer on the bolt everytime I change oil on my car.
Old 05-20-09 | 02:08 PM
memGS300
Driver

thanks...what would Toyota part # be for a GS300 oil filter?
Old 05-20-09 | 03:20 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by memGS300
Is it easier to remove the oil filter from above or beneath? I have a GS300 and it looks very tight to get my hand down in there.

Also, I have those Rhino ramps that you can drive up onto that lift the front about 6-7" is that enough room to get underneath and drain oil?
I go from above, since i have an oil extractor, and don't need to lift the car.
From above, I have to get slightly creative with a plastic bag and a steady hand to reduce any drips when detaching the filter. I've fine-tuned my technique and now have zero drips that hit the floor.

If you're underneath anyway to drain, you might as well go from underneath.
Old 05-20-09 | 06:57 PM
vinnieu117
Driver School Candidate

Make sure the gasket from the old oil filter comes off with old filter
Old 05-20-09 | 07:16 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I have yet to do my own oil change on my GS but have done oil changes on previous cars. What are you guys doing when it comes to disposing of the old oil besides dumping it into the sewer. Ok kidding!. My dad and I had did oil changes but he would do the disposing of it. I want to start doing my oil changes now but are there containers available to easily pour the old oil without the risk of any spillage.
Most regular parts places (O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc.) will sell containers for oil to drip into. The one I have it designed for transporting it back there for recycling, which any store that sells oil is usually required to do.

As for the posts above, yes, good information there. The Rhino's may work for you. I put in stops for them so they cannot slide, and I can climb under mine. Drilled out some holes in the garage floor to bolt them down, and all was good.

Big Mack
Old 05-21-09 | 10:04 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by sam430
The filter above, right, is more efficient than the one on the left (pictured) because it has more surface area for the oil to flow and filter.
Now when you say efficient, what are you referring to? Because the amount of surface area in the filter has nothing to do with efficiency, maybe effectiveness, but I would argue that it has substantially little gain from adding .5 quart more to your engine. The oil pump can only push the oil through the same hole, so it is not like you providing it more oil to push, once it goes past the pump, it is pressurized into the filter, then through the system. It isn't providing more fluid to suck, but I will acknowledge that you are expanding the capacity just a little more. I would have a hard time beleiveing that Toyota just had chicken wire in there. My problem is with most after market companies, are that none of them produce the specifications that Toyota will release. For example, I remember a while back, on TIS, I could check what the oil filter by pass valve opened at. How often do you hear anyone else offering you this data? Every says their always using the state of the art filtration systems, and I believe them, but do you really think these aftermarket companies put as much R & D into their filter as Toyota has.

The short filter goes to the LS430 and the long filter goes to the gs430 since I abuse that thing often. They share the same filter btw.
In fact Toyota uses that same filter on all UZ motors as they all share the same or similar housing. A 89' LS400 takes the same filter as the 06' GS430. As GS4 Fiend mentioned, you can buy the OEM filter for a couple more bucks, but it is superior to all other brands. I have never had an OEM filter have a gasket stick, EVER. I cannot say the same about others, even Honda. My 2 cents, if your really looking to prolong the life of your oil, use OEM, buy an oil-cooler, and change your oil sooner.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 05-21-09 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-21-09 | 10:23 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I thought about an oil cooler... but never got to it. As far as effiency, I agree with you that it'll pass through the same hole but there are more surface in the filter medium before it goes through the hole. That is what I meant about effiency.

As far as OEM filter, I would have to do research on it... it's very likely OEM is just rebadged filter from some company. I don't think toyota,honda, etc... is in the business of making filters.

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY?!