GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil Change DIY?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 03:12 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Change DIY?!

Can't seem to find a good one here on the forums, yes I did search and I found bananaGS on his site but is there any others? This will be first time changing oil on this vehicle by myself thanks in advance
Old 05-18-09, 03:33 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

nobody?? tryin to get it before it gets dark
Old 05-18-09, 04:53 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found doing an oil change on the GS300 to be pretty easy...What do you need to know?
Old 05-18-09, 05:01 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

remove the drain plug and have something to catch the oil. Romove the mud guard and twist the oil filter off. Drain pain should cover both location where oil will drip (Drain plug and oil filter area).

When putting a new oil filter, tighten by hand but first put some oil around the seal of the oil filter.
Old 05-18-09, 06:22 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

good looks y'all sam430 congrats on 1000 post. i was havin a hard time gettin the car jacked up from the front because i couldnt get enough leverage on my jack to actually get the hydraulics to move it up. and i dont have to remove the mud guard to remove the drain plug? will try again tomorrow with a better jack
Old 05-18-09, 06:52 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

use the OEM jack.

the drain plug (on GS400) is exposed, it's easily found as it dits at the lowest part of the engine. if the oil filter is placed the same as the GS400, you don't have to remove the whole splash guard, just a triangular area with I think 2-3 screws by one of the rear driver side edges you can flip it down after you removed the screws... (I haven't seen a GS300's bottom so I can't say it'll be the same... I hope it is...)
Old 05-18-09, 07:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I say don't waste your time and effort. Just bring it outside and have it done. If you don't do it right, you can either strip the oil pan's thread, double gasket on the oil filter, or have an oil leak because something was not done right. IMO. Unless you can find a buddy that is a mechanic, you either ask him to do it or borrow his hoist/lift. GL!
Old 05-18-09, 07:18 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just leave the splash guard on. really its not that hard. i use the oem jack too.

speaking of oil changes i need to do one too. i think im 6k over
Old 05-18-09, 08:01 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

its a cake walk. i have a 300 too and i removed the filter from the top, so i din't have to remove any splash gaurd. super easy
Old 05-18-09, 11:20 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Well, you'll get drips when you remove your oil filter if you don't take it from the bottom.

This filter is also recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

The left is what lexus recommend... the right is what I linked.

You also, as mentioned above, just remove the driver side cover and bend it (this is what I do), and let it drip that way. It's very easy to do. Plus, with the filter I linked, you won't need a filter remover the next time you change it. Just grip it with you hand. Also, when putting the filter on..tighten with your hand and don't use any tools... The oil you put on the seal will make a good seal.

As for the Oil plug, just make a snug fit...don't be scared. Just use your fingers/hand to screw the plug back on (no chance of stripping whatsoever)...then tighten it with tools (again, snug fit is good enough, it won't leak).

Drain plug is exposed... when you go under, you'll see it. I think you will have a tougher time jacking up the car... and maybe loosening the filter.

Last edited by sam430; 05-18-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 11:36 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I'm sure someone is going to do their oil change soon. I bet there will be pictures
Old 05-19-09, 02:53 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Just for something to watch out when removing the oil filter, make sure you check to see the oil filter's gasket is attach to the old filter and if not, check on the engine oil filter mounting to see if it attach to it. A big mistake to have a double gaskets, it will leak through the gasket. It is very easy to change an oil.

Park on the level ground
Jack up the car with a reliable one. Always safety first
Pull out the deepstick and remove the oil cap
Use the correct size of socket to remove the oil drain plug, and place some sort of container to catch the oil.
You can choose to lower the car back to level and drain whatever left in there, or keep it as is
Remove the oil filter and watch out for the gasket to make sure it attach on the oil filter, if not check the oil mounting place.
Once drain, screw back the plug with the washer (not the metal kine) to the oil pan and not over tighten. Use torque spec if you are not sure
Lower the car back to ground level
Pour in oil grade (your preference), refer to manual for the recommended oil capacity
Check your deepstick for the correct level and close the cap, and you are done.

Have fun.
Old 05-19-09, 04:17 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I have yet to do my own oil change on my GS but have done oil changes on previous cars. What are you guys doing when it comes to disposing of the old oil besides dumping it into the sewer. Ok kidding!. My dad and I had did oil changes but he would do the disposing of it. I want to start doing my oil changes now but are there containers available to easily pour the old oil without the risk of any spillage.
Old 05-19-09, 05:54 AM
Trav7414
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a funnel to put your old oil back to the empty bottles or any empty container you have available and bring them to any auto part store to dispose them.
Old 05-19-09, 07:36 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=3576357

A baby could do it. I've done it on the 400/430 with no issues, drinking, with hooters girls jumping on trampolines in the background.

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY?!