GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Something's not quite right...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 04:15 PM
gtmax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Something's not quite right...

My car, GS400, '99, is feeling like an old car. It's got 106K miles too. The problem that i'm having now is when the car is at idle, it shakes like an old Buick. For example, once i had a bottle of water in the cup holder. Sitting with the car on park, the water was noticeably moving. Something that never happened before.

Before i take it to my mechanic, i want to get your opinions on what it might be. Last summer, i was having problems with the car stalling and it turned off a couple of times. It happened as i was slowing down from highway speeds. As i would get down to 5,3mph and would stop, the car would stutter and then shut off. Took it to the dealer and they identified a dirty throttle body - to which they attributed to the after market cold air intake i had installed.

Soon as i got it back from teh dealer, first thing i noticed was that the cold rpms were much higher than before. So when i would turn on the car, whether hot or cold outside, the rpms were initially much higher than before.

Nowadays the rpms are at almost 2K when i turn on the car after its been off for a few hours. I also get a constant vibration that i mentiond above, but the rpm needle does not move at all. Meaning, it doesn't seem as though the vibration is caused by fluctuating rpms.

This old man at Autozone told me it could be due to the throttle body work i had performed on the car. That sounds to me like the most logical place to look into.

Anyone else experiencing issues like this? What could cause the car to vibrate like this? I can make a video if that would help.
Old 05-18-09, 04:17 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check your engine mounts. they're probably shot.
Old 05-18-09, 07:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmax
My car, GS400, '99, is feeling like an old car. It's got 106K miles too. The problem that i'm having now is when the car is at idle, it shakes like an old Buick. For example, once i had a bottle of water in the cup holder. Sitting with the car on park, the water was noticeably moving. Something that never happened before.

Before i take it to my mechanic, i want to get your opinions on what it might be. Last summer, i was having problems with the car stalling and it turned off a couple of times. It happened as i was slowing down from highway speeds. As i would get down to 5,3mph and would stop, the car would stutter and then shut off. Took it to the dealer and they identified a dirty throttle body - to which they attributed to the after market cold air intake i had installed.

Soon as i got it back from teh dealer, first thing i noticed was that the cold rpms were much higher than before. So when i would turn on the car, whether hot or cold outside, the rpms were initially much higher than before.

Nowadays the rpms are at almost 2K when i turn on the car after its been off for a few hours. I also get a constant vibration that i mentiond above, but the rpm needle does not move at all. Meaning, it doesn't seem as though the vibration is caused by fluctuating rpms.

This old man at Autozone told me it could be due to the throttle body work i had performed on the car. That sounds to me like the most logical place to look into.

Anyone else experiencing issues like this? What could cause the car to vibrate like this? I can make a video if that would help.
Now you said engine stalling. Possible causes:
- Change your PCV
- Clean your TB.
-Make sure there is no vacuum leaks.
-Make sure you're on top of your maintenance (air filter, spark plugs, etc.)
Old 05-18-09, 08:13 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd check all those things that have been mentioned, just thought I'd add that my car idles a little higher when cold since I cleaned the throttle body a couple weeks ago; it's more like 1300 rather than 2k and there's no vibration. Other people have had this problem and it's gone away with time or with an ECU reset although time hasn't helped yours from the sound of it. Did the throttle body cleaning cure the stalling problem?
Old 05-18-09, 10:26 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently changed engine mounts, all 3 of mine's shot, before it's changed, it almost felt like I'm on ploy urethane mounts. After the change when I came to a stop, it felt as though my car turned off, it's that smooth...
Old 05-19-09, 04:09 AM
gtmax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first throttle body cleanup did fix the the stalling problem. I recently installed a K&N air filter. I steam clean the engine every now and then and i recently used a fuel injector cleaner. Still have the vibrating issue. Next time i go the mechanic i'll check the mounts but i could swear he told me they were okay last time i went in.

I too remember the times when you couldn't tell when the car was at off or on. I want those days back damn it! Today is 48 degrees in NYC. i'm about to go and start the car, will report back on the initial rpms.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-19-09, 06:36 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you check the motor mounts? I thought there were only two. Does it matter if you have a GS3 or GS4? Any chance you can change these out yourself?

Thanks
Old 05-19-09, 10:52 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's 2 engine mounts and a Transmission mount, typical of Toyota, similar set up on the AE86....

Changing it requires the engine to be lifted a bit and tranny to be held with jack or something, best to let a shop (in my case, Lexus dealer) to do the work if you do not know about how to do it at first or if you do not have the tools to do so... (I only have a spare tire jack.....)