GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anyone shave fenders past the spot welds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 12:33 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

haha you guys are super kool...... anyone care to lend me some????lol
Old 05-21-09, 12:49 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
haha you guys are super kool...... anyone care to lend me some????lol
The answer Chris gave you in post #9 is correct. Shaving and cutting are one and the same.
Old 05-21-09, 12:55 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
The answer Chris gave you in post #9 is correct. Shaving and cutting are one and the same.
Technically similar I'd say, but shaving is a lot smoother process because you are sanding with a belt sander, where cutting with a dremel or something similar can have irregular and have sharp edges that will slice your sidewall.

Here's a short vid I took: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035C7...e=channel_page
Old 05-21-09, 12:56 PM
RMMGS4

Can somebody please show me an example picture of a separated fender on a GS? (Honda's, Acuras, etc. don't count)

I've been posting for years that I have seen no evidence of separation after monitoring 2 cars with 100% shaved fenders for over 4 years and over 100k miles (total) on them.

Now if you shave all the way and pull or have previously rolled the fender, I can see where separation could possibly occur, but shaving a clean lip with no other previous mods???

I have seen no evidence of any problem with cutting off the welds.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-21-09 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 01:19 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Technically similar I'd say, but shaving is a lot smoother process because you are sanding with a belt sander, where cutting with a dremel or something similar can have irregular and have sharp edges that will slice your sidewall.

Here's a short vid I took: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035C7...e=channel_page
Agreed, I just figured everyone would have the common sense to sand down the edges after using a dremmel but you're absolutely right.
Old 05-21-09, 02:07 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Agreed, I just figured everyone would have the common sense to sand down the edges after using a dremmel but you're absolutely right.
I know that was your intent, but to your point, there may be someone out there with limited common sense.
Old 05-21-09, 03:24 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Now if you shave all the way and pull or have previously rolled the fender, I can see where separation could possibly occur, but shaving a clean lip with no other previous mods???
This is the main concern of the post, and previous messages we've had back and forth. I believe I'd be find if I was not going to modify the fender after the shave, but since I am looking to pull afterwards, then I seem like I am in relatively uncharted territory. Only person to respond in my same situation is Spyder who had pretty much told me it will be a no go.

Just looking for other feedback, and if there was any other people who say that it can work no problem, to give step behind what the did.

Chris

BTW, that potato peeler and scissor post was awesome LOL.
Old 05-21-09, 04:07 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by excluesive
This is the main concern of the post, and previous messages we've had back and forth. I believe I'd be find if I was not going to modify the fender after the shave, but since I am looking to pull afterwards, then I seem like I am in relatively uncharted territory. Only person to respond in my same situation is Spyder who had pretty much told me it will be a no go.

Just looking for other feedback, and if there was any other people who say that it can work no problem, to give step behind what the did.

Chris

BTW, that potato peeler and scissor post was awesome LOL.
I'm glad you clarified your original question as I tried to as well.

I suspect that some people are just responding to shave ONLY and not shave and Pull.

You ARE in relatively unchartered territory. If you can get a hold of V8_Aristo, he's one who has "Actual Hands On" experience with shaving and pulling.

I'll give him a call.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-21-09 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-21-09, 04:27 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

I'm glad you clarified your original question as I tried to as well.

It appears that some people are just responding to shave ONLY and not shave and Pull.

You ARE in relatively unchartered territory. If you can get a hold of V8_Aristo, he's one who has "Actual Hands On" experience with shaving and pulling.

I'll give him a call.
yep, hit him up.

He said he left a little lip on there.
Old 05-22-09, 10:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
Here you go:
hahaha the potato peeler is flipping us off! funny Daimion

and back on topic. i know this is gonna come out stupid as **** but its making perfect sense rattling around in my head. if you shave/pull it and are worried about separation couldn't u have something like a brace installed inside fender or maybe some extra "meat" or "padding" installed (i say installed but i mean welded i guess onto the backside of the fender to hold the inner/outer skins together) on the back side of the fender, you know essentially just some metal holding it together or something? this make sense to anyone or does it just sound right in my head?

i guess the way im picturing is making sense but as i write it, this just sounds ****ing retarded
Old 05-22-09, 10:35 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

sakataj... this is what essentially would have to happen if they do separate, but either way would need paint work. The whole objective is not have have paint work done.
Old 05-22-09, 11:19 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by excluesive
sakataj... this is what essentially would have to happen if they do separate, but either way would need paint work. The whole objective is not have have paint work done.
Agreed with what you said to sakataj as well.

Re-welding the gap is not an issue, but a good paint job on a rear quarter panel and blending to the roof and doors on both sides, I've seen paint quotes of over $1500.
Old 05-22-09, 11:40 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i knew it would involve paintwork....i was just curious if you could make a brace to keep it from separating....do the bodywork and no worries u know? least what i spit out, seemed to make sense lol oh, its brian you two....i sorta know glen (sorta, i mean just from talking to him on here but im not as familiar with you excluesive nice to meet you) i am so lazy today. 3 day weekend here i come
Old 05-22-09, 01:15 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by sakataj
i knew it would involve paintwork....i was just curious if you could make a brace to keep it from separating....do the bodywork and no worries u know? least what i spit out, seemed to make sense lol oh, its brian you two....i sorta know glen (sorta, i mean just from talking to him on here but im not as familiar with you excluesive nice to meet you) i am so lazy today. 3 day weekend here i come
Yup Brian I know it's you.
There is no force trying to separate the two metal pieces, we are just concerned about a weakening of that area. Who knows but there are maybe 40+ welds holding the rear quarter on to the car. We're only talking about losing 5 welds in one isolated section.

Here’s my quick and dirty analogy: If you nailed a lid on to a wooden box all the way around with 40 nails and you removed 5 of them in a row in one spot, will that weaken it? A little. Will that cause the top to separate? No If we put a brace inside to support the nails would that help? Yes. But the brace would be physically in the way and it’s not necessary.

We know a re-weld would take care of the problem, the question from the OP is really can you shave + pull without welding and without having to do paint work and still be strong enough. That’s all that’s really being asked.

I'm off to enjoy the 3 day, so I'm done posting for a while.

Have a good one guys.
Old 05-22-09, 01:25 PM
RMMGS4

Here’s a pic of my inner lip fully shaved and primered, ready for final body color paint and a light undercoat. It’s been 4 years and no separation issues. As for pulling this? Well that’s another story.

Quick Reply: anyone shave fenders past the spot welds?