GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacement transmission sources?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 04:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Good point, that (software/ECU) is certainly another interface between the tranny and the car, just like the cooler. But I have not heard of any problems in the GS430 in that area, and all mechanics said there are no codes - so what could I reasonably try to do to see if that's the problem? What does the ECU do that could cause the trannies to actually fail?
My Rav4 did not have a trouble code pop up but the dealer did reflash the ECU per the TSB when I had the cat converter replaced under warranty.. The Rav4 had 25k on the clock in 06 and has 36k now.

Here is the TSB

TSB Number: TC002-06
Bulletin Title: HARSH SHIFT AND/OR M.I.L. ON" DTC P0750, P0755, P0758, AND/OR P1760
Release Date: March 3, 2006
Applicable Year(s): 2001 – 2003 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with automatic transmission.
File Size: 35kb PDF
Download: http://RAV4World.com/tsb/2001/TC002-06.pdf

Description: Some 2001 – 2003 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle may exhibit a harsh shift condition and/or M.I.L. “ON” with DTC P0750, P0753, P0755, P0758, and/or P1760 stored. Improvements have been made to the Engine Control Module (ECM) (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) manufacturing process to reduce the possibility of this condition occurring. Use the following procedure to repair the vehicle.
Here is a post on Rav4world from a member who experienced the problem.. Seems similar to what you are going through.. That ECU in your GS should be replaced.

Purchased a new 2002 Toyota RAV4 at Stevinson Toyota, Denver, CO in 2002. Recently, we found that the transmission was shifting oddly. Found out that Toyota put out a Technical Service Bulletin in early 2006 after defects started surfacing stating to replace the car's computer (ECU). The company did not inform owners about this defect which is now surfacing and did not recall due to cost of replacing the ECU and transmission it destroys. The defective ECU burns up the clutch and other parts in the transmission.

Toyota will not do the honorable thing and recall the vehicles or even pay for any portion of the repair if it is even a tiny bit outside the warranty period (as ours is). Bottom line - they will not stand behind their product or mistake if it it costs them too much (unless there are overwhelming public complaints/outcry as with their head gasket recall).

Currently, the vehicle is at Liberty Toyota in Colorado Springs. Service Dept number is 719.278.4851. They will not even discount the repair which we need to have done. Also tried getting in touch with Stevenson Toyota Service Manager, Jeff Totsky (866.424.0557),but still have not gotten a call back.

Technical Service Bulletin is: TC002-06, Revised March 3, 2006. Do a search for the words TC002-06 RAV4 , and you will find out about it and many complaints blogged.

Excerpt:
"Some 2001 – 2003 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle
may exhibit a harsh shift condition and/or M.I.L. “ON” with DTC P0750, P0753, P0755,
P0758, and/or P1760 stored. Improvements have been made to the Engine Control
Module (ECM) (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) manufacturing process to
reduce the possibility of this condition occurring. Use the following procedure to repair the vehicle."

It goes on to say replace the ECM/ECU and possibly the transmission. Total cost is currently around $4800.00. I am getting the ECU/ECM replaced at this time and then will take it to AAMCO for the tranny rebuild. The ECU/ECM part itself costs just over 1,000, then there is labor added to that.

I'm a veteran (retired Air Force), and I don't like being treated like I'm trying to steal something from them (this is how they make you feel) when it is actually the honorable thing that they should take care of the problem. Ironic that a company based in a country that emphasizes honor to such a high degree holds so little regard for doing the honorable thing. http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15515
Old 06-09-09, 08:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah on some Toyota models there were the transmission flash TSB. However the GS trans never had any sort of TSB...as far as I'm aware of. I'm thinking there is some other cause for lyonkster's trans to be going out so often. Maybe the dealer just rebuilt the transmission instead of putting in a brand new unit. You can check it by looking at the VIN tag on the transmission. It will be on a metal plate with the VIN stamped on it. If the VIN is different from your car or has a R at the end of it then the dealer probably replaced it. If it has the exact same VIN as your car then more likely than not, they just replaced the clutch packs in it and threw it back in.
Old 06-10-09, 07:07 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Maybe the dealer just rebuilt the transmission instead of putting in a brand new unit.
Jeff, I'll check into it, but I doubt it'll bear fruit. Remember, the first (original) tranny failed at 27K! So something was already clearly wrong. The receipts I have show that the first and second transmissions were replaced, not rebuilt, and provide the replacement serial numbers. But I'll have a look and see if in fact the numbers match.

This is the part I am really hung up on now - I need to find what the root cause of this problem is, as I have no intention of replacing transmissions every 2-3 years. And everyone I talked to so far has not been able to find anything - they keep saying "well, maybe the fluid was not flushed at the time of tranny replacement", which may be the case - but how do I know if that is the problem, or something else?

The mechanics I have gone to (Lexus, and independent Lexus repair place) do not appear willing or able to look for the root cause, they just want to R&R the tranny. Do they still have mechanics out there who actually know how to look for the source of the problem in something as complicated as these trannies, instead of just spinning wrenches? Should I try a transmission repair place?
Old 06-10-09, 08:07 AM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible the car has hidden body or mechanical damage that is affecting the drive line, causing premature tranny wear?
Old 06-10-09, 02:26 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexamatic
Is it possible the car has hidden body or mechanical damage that is affecting the drive line, causing premature tranny wear?
None that I could see, and I am the second owner - the previous guy babied it too.

My new theory is that the problem may be in the electronics, and more specifically in a connector at the tranny. I just cannot believe that the original tranny would fail mechanically at 27K from the factory. So my suspicion is that there may be a loose connector pin somewhere, that maybe works its way out over time due to vibration and heat. Every time the tranny is replaced, they reseat the connector, which is why things work for the next two years. I am discounting the ECU itself, because that has never been replaced, but yet the tranny works perfectly every time it is replaced, which would not happen if the ECU was acting up. Anyway, it's a stretch, but I am going to be inspecting the connectors this weekend and will let you know what I see!
Old 06-18-09, 08:16 AM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Maybe there is a sensor malfunction that is causing the tranny to somehow run hot, or not engage correctly. You may be correct that a wiring problem could be the issue if theres a bad wire or plug connected to the tranny that is causing a short.
Old 06-18-09, 09:44 AM
LEXUSGS430
Rookie

I would be sure to rule out all possible causes this time. Replace the cooler, converter and the tranny. I would bet the failures are due to trash/metal in the cooler and converter coming back to kill the tranny. Remember these cars hold LOTS of fluid in the converter and little in the pan. Just my .02
Old 06-18-09, 07:19 PM
jpganman
Driver School Candidate

BS from the dealer. Our tranny's have an issue where the shift selector does not communicate to the computer and the computer thinks the car is in neutral. Put it in 3rd and see if it moves, if it does shift into D and you are good to go.

Irritating but also a cheap fix.
Old 06-18-09, 07:22 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexamatic
Maybe there is a sensor malfunction that is causing the tranny to somehow run hot, or not engage correctly. You may be correct that a wiring problem could be the issue if theres a bad wire or plug connected to the tranny that is causing a short.
I know I am going to jinx myself by saying this, but over the weekend I did disconnect and reconnect every connector at the transmission, and so far (knock on wood) the problem has not resurfaced, despite numerous starts/stops. It's way too early to declare success or victory, but let's see what happens in the next few days/weeks.

I figure if it does not come back, then this will be the DIY success of the century (given that the dealer and an independent mechanic said I need a new transmission). And if it does come back, well then the fact that it goes away for days and then returns probably tells me something too, though I am not exactly sure what. I would guess that if the tranny was truly "broken" or worn out, then it would not be this intermittent (?), so perhaps that would still point to some electrical more than mechanical problem.

If the problem returns, I will plan to drop the pan and see if it's clean or full of shavings/junk. That will be yet another piece of information that I will use to try to pinpoint the cause. I did check the flow of fluid through the cooler, and it flowed very freely, about 1 qt per 10 seconds. The fluid was very clean. So I don't think that that is the problem.

I'll see what happens in the next few days or weeks and will report back.

Leon
Old 06-18-09, 07:26 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpganman
BS from the dealer. Our tranny's have an issue where the shift selector does not communicate to the computer and the computer thinks the car is in neutral. Put it in 3rd and see if it moves, if it does shift into D and you are good to go.

Irritating but also a cheap fix.
Oh, we posted at the same time. I actually tried this technique a few times, to see if it drives in one of the lower gears other than D - nada. So I don't think that it's quite that simple, although as you can see, I am beginning to agree that this is possibly an electrical or computer problem, not mechanical. In other words, for all I know, the transmission may be fine. And the other two replaced transmissions might have been fine as well - wouldn't that be ironic??
Old 06-18-09, 07:35 PM
jpganman
Driver School Candidate

take it to a tranny shop that has a tester, they can pull the tranny and run it. surprised the dealer didn't do this.
Old 06-18-09, 08:11 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpganman
take it to a tranny shop that has a tester, they can pull the tranny and run it. surprised the dealer didn't do this.
Easier said than done, it seems. I have yet to find anyone who wants to do anything more than remove and replace the tranny. Everyone I talked to (dealer, independent Lexus guy, and transmission shop) all say that it's too complex to try to diagnose it - they just want to R&R. Yes, it's exasperating that there seems to be no one who actually works on these transmissions .
Old 06-22-09, 07:10 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Just for posterity, in case anyone comes across this thread, I found the problem, and it was NOT the transmission - it was a dying battery!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ieve-this.html