GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Meagan Racing Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 09:47 PM
4uhaterz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meagan Racing Suspension

Has anyone had any experience with these on the 2nd gen?
Old 05-27-09, 01:03 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would stay with the major manufacturers. Tein, Tanabe, H&R, Bilstein etc....Megan has always seemed like eBay stuff to me, at least IMO.
Old 05-27-09, 04:40 AM
esolo98
Advanced

I am waiting on a set to arrive to put on my 2GS.
By the way if you search, there are a few threads on this.
Megan Coilovers
Old 05-27-09, 05:51 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macd7919
I would stay with the major manufacturers. Tein, Tanabe, H&R, Bilstein etc....Megan has always seemed like eBay stuff to me, at least IMO.
If you do not have direct experience, your opinion is based on what? Why does Megan "seem" like e-bay stuff? You can pay for the name, but I did a lot of research and the Megan coils always received high marks which is why I went with them.

On topic...I have had mine now approaching a year and could not be happier. The adjustability is great, they slam your car, and no noises whatsoever. Of course, only time will tell.
Old 05-27-09, 06:50 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
If you do not have direct experience, your opinion is based on what? Why does Megan "seem" like e-bay stuff?
THATS A BUNCH OF BS!!!! HAHA ANYONE WOULD SAY THESE ARE THE BEST FOR ITS PRICE

You can pay for the name, but I did a lot of research and the Megan coils always received high marks which is why I went with them.

On topic...I have had mine now approaching a year and could not be happier. The adjustability is great, they slam your car, and no noises whatsoever. Of course, only time will tell.
+1 cant say it any better... i've posted a thread about this if u would just hit the search button but yeah, couldnt be happier with the price and its driveabilty. Had them on about close to a month and gotten about 5k on them so far and its been good to me... no noise wat so ever....It can be super dumped and tucked but i like driving at a reasonable height that way i can get on my drive way.....
Old 05-27-09, 08:19 AM
4uhaterz
Rookie

How can you compare the ride to the stock suspension?
Old 05-27-09, 08:32 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

it all depends on how you set the dampers... can be set to 3 use racing, daily driving and forgort the other one... haha
Old 05-27-09, 08:35 AM
4uhaterz
Rookie

Nevermind guys did some more reading and got the info i needed. Thanks!
Old 05-27-09, 09:49 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

If you read the post I said IMO which means IN MY OPINION. The reason I feel that way is because if you have been in the car scene for awhile thats where Megan started popping up, first on eBay then they started expanding from their.

Secondly, YES, I do have personal experience with them, I would rate them on the same level as K-Sport etc....They are not top quality parts, I'm not saying they are bad for the money just that they do not have the same quality as some of the more established companies. If you do a search Megan are generally compared with Nex, OBX etc....all the eBay brands.

The guy asked what we thought, I don't know why you guys are jumping all over me for stating what I thought. It's funny that everyone is equating being able to be "dumped" or "ride super low" with quality, that has nothing to do with quality, I can cut 6 coils out of your stock springs and you will be riding lower than you thought possible. Think about what defines a quality part to you before jumping all over people.

Most of the time when someone is that sensitive over another person stating their opinion about something they bought it indicates a certain level of buyer remorse.

Last edited by macd7919; 05-27-09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 09:59 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

LOL.............. its all good no hard feeling yo
Old 05-27-09, 10:03 AM
4uhaterz
Rookie

If you read the post I said IMO which means IN MY OPINION. The reason I feel that way is because if you have been in the car scene for awhile thats where Megan started popping up, first on eBay then they started expanding from their.

Secondly, YES, I do have personal experience with them, I would rate them on the same level as K-Sport etc....They are not top quality parts, I'm not saying they are bad for the money just that they do not have the same quality as some of the more established companies. If you do a search Megan are generally compared with Nex, OBX etc....all the eBay brands.

The guy asked what we thought, I don't know why you guys are jumping all over me for stating what I thought. It's funny that everyone is equating being able to be "dumped" or "ride super low" with quality, that has nothing to do with quality, I can cut 6 coils out of your stock springs and you will be riding lower than you thought possible. Think about what defines a quality part to you before jumping all over people.

Most of the time when someone is that sensitive over another person stating their opinion about something they bought it indicates a certain level of buyer remorse.
I understand what you're are saying. Basically what i'm trying to achieve here is the difference between riding stock vs putting the Meagan on. I don't want a ****ty ride at all and I also don't want to spend $1500 on Tein right now since that's what everyone seems to like. Besides brand, what would be the biggest differences between Tein and Meagan coilovers?
Old 05-27-09, 10:21 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

If you want a stock like ride I would go with Tein CS. I know you don't have cash for new coilivers but I would watch the classifieds for a used set. I have them on my car and would compare the ride to that of a bmw, firm but not super stiff. You will also find that a lot of the less expensive coilover sets run very stiff, personally I wanted a sporty ride but not something that would rattle my teeth loose.
Old 05-27-09, 10:30 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO, I think he asked if anyone had experience with Megan coils on a 2nd gen which was exact question which is why I replied the way I did. Have you ever had Megan coils on a 2nd gen GS?

I have two other cars to modify so I cannot dump $50k into one car so I needed something that would work while maintaining a certain budget. These coilovers provided that so mission accomplished.

No buyers remorse here. Like I said, a year later and I could not be happier.

The reason I responded as I did is because you were giving an opinion on a subject you had no direct experience with. Unless you did have Megans on a 2nd gen GS in which case, I apologize.
Old 05-27-09, 10:39 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Vr4 - Go back and read my second post, I already mentioned I had experience with then. I've installed them and the build quality is about the same as K-Sport as I ALSO mentioned in the same post. They are ok for the money, I ALSO stated that in my previous post, I can't help but feel like we are going in circles right now.

To the Op:

The spring rates of Megans are 14kg/mm front, 12kg/mm rear. Tein CS will be around 8kg/mm front and 7kg/mm rear. The numbers listed are the spring stiffness, the higher the number the firmer the ride, as I mentioned before, I currently have Tein CS and it ride about like a Bmw, maybe slightly firmer. You can make your conclusion from there.

Also, I had a set of HKS Hipermax II's on a previous vehicle which were purchased in japan on a trip. They were a high spring rate and while the handled nicely they were murder over low speed bumps etc...

If you want a sporty/ stock like ride have you thought about going springs and shocks with rcas (if you want to go lower).

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here, I have and do use some "budget" parts myself, it's just that in this particular case IN MY OPINION the OP would be better off with a set of "premium" coilovers even if they are used.

Last edited by macd7919; 05-27-09 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 11:27 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Vr4 - Go back and read my second post, I already mentioned I had experience with then. I've installed them and the build quality is about the same as K-Sport as I ALSO mentioned in the same post. They are ok for the money, I ALSO stated that in my previous post, I can't help but feel like we are going in circles right now.

To the Op:

The spring rates of Megans are 14kg/mm front, 12kg/mm rear. Tein CS will be around 8kg/mm front and 7kg/mm rear. The numbers listed are the spring stiffness, the higher the number the firmer the ride, as I mentioned before, I currently have Tein CS and it ride about like a Bmw, maybe slightly firmer. You can make your conclusion from there.

Also, I had a set of HKS Hipermax II's on a previous vehicle which were purchased in japan on a trip. They were a high spring rate and while the handled nicely they were murder over low speed bumps etc...

If you want a sporty/ stock like ride have you thought about going springs and shocks with rcas (if you want to go lower).

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here, I have and do use some "budget" parts myself, it's just that in this particular case IN MY OPINION the OP would be better off with a set of "premium" coilovers even if they are used.
Just giving you props Macd, couldn't have said or handled it any better.....

OP, look for a used set of Tein CS if you want the closest thing to stock