GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Which wheels would you choose for a Black GS400?
Giovanna F-5
20.69%
Vossen VVS082
37.93%
Vossen VVS084
24.14%
None of the above!
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions needed on 20" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 05:49 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
no fender mods are required if you are not lowered. if you are you will need to mod the fenders. exspecially with a 285 tire, what color is your ride? and none of these rims really look sporty or light wieght.
5-star wheels and multi-spoke wheels aren't sporty? I guess I don't know what sporty means then. lol. Also, the giovanna's are forged 2pc wheels rated at around 25lbs each even at that size...just around the same weight as my 16" wheels so there is really no rotational mass difference; sorry try again.

I agree that I would think that I wouldn need fender mods but a very well known vendor of rims here (not going to mention who) but is insistance that no mods will be needed at all AND I told him I was lowered with 3/4" (1 finger) gap from tire to fender.
Old 06-06-09, 06:08 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDSC
getting 20s with all your mods youd be defeating the purpose, throw all that extra power straight out of the window that your car makes now and be ready to be slower then a bone stock GS with 16" wheels. Rotational Mass sucks cant have both worlds.
Hmmm....I'm surprised that you of all members would make a "blanket" comment like this. Do you REALLY think that going with slightly heavier wheels (although much larger) will cancel out ALL my mods and EVEN make my car slower than a stock GS4. LOL! I can put several car lengths on a stock GS4 as I am right now. So perhaps then I will only put 2 or so on one while having nice 20's on it, lol...and how many people actually keep their 16's on for good; not too often that I see GS4's racing around with stock wheels.

You have NO idea of the effects of all my mods have done on my GS4 versus a stock GS4 - it is NIGHT and DAY. So even though it WILL most likely slow my car down I don't think it will make it slower than a stocker; more like just a little slower than it was before.

Also, MANY members on here seem to think (not sure if it is true or not) that rotational mass plays a big part mainly on off-the-line acceleration only...and this is good news for me because guess what? I am having a REAL difficult time getting ANY traction (due to my high stall TC and added power) at all at anything under 15mph believe it or not. So it wouldn't be such a bad thing for me if some rotational mass was added especially to my rear wheels.

Not sure if you are knowledgable about GS' at all and/or the effects of certain mods on them; I know you have an SC based on your sig. I would never dare to give my advise/comment on an SC with certain mods versus a stock one. I have no idea of the effects of certain mods on that car to be able to give an accurate opinion on if something would slow it down moreso than it's stock counterpart.

Oh, and BTW my car is NOT and will NEVER be a RACE CAR! Nor am I trying to make it a race car so for all the "power" mods that I have done was merely to "keep up with the technology" of the newer cars. Thanks though for your insight.
Old 06-06-09, 06:50 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like both the Vossen wheels. 5 star rims flow so nice on the 2gen GS. I am a big fan of the multi spoke rims.

as for weight the 20" rims may weigh less or close to the same as your OEM. I went 20x9 up front and 20x10.5 in the rear running a 295 in the rear and they feel like they weight less then my OEM. IMO the GS doesnt look right with anything other then 20" rims.
Old 06-07-09, 08:42 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Hmmm....I'm surprised that you of all members would make a "blanket" comment like this. Do you REALLY think that going with slightly heavier wheels (although much larger) will cancel out ALL my mods and EVEN make my car slower than a stock GS4. LOL! I can put several car lengths on a stock GS4 as I am right now. So perhaps then I will only put 2 or so on one while having nice 20's on it, lol...and how many people actually keep their 16's on for good; not too often that I see GS4's racing around with stock wheels.

You have NO idea of the effects of all my mods have done on my GS4 versus a stock GS4 - it is NIGHT and DAY. So even though it WILL most likely slow my car down I don't think it will make it slower than a stocker; more like just a little slower than it was before.

Also, MANY members on here seem to think (not sure if it is true or not) that rotational mass plays a big part mainly on off-the-line acceleration only...and this is good news for me because guess what? I am having a REAL difficult time getting ANY traction (due to my high stall TC and added power) at all at anything under 15mph believe it or not. So it wouldn't be such a bad thing for me if some rotational mass was added especially to my rear wheels.

Not sure if you are knowledgable about GS' at all and/or the effects of certain mods on them; I know you have an SC based on your sig. I would never dare to give my advise/comment on an SC with certain mods versus a stock one. I have no idea of the effects of certain mods on that car to be able to give an accurate opinion on if something would slow it down moreso than it's stock counterpart.

Oh, and BTW my car is NOT and will NEVER be a RACE CAR! Nor am I trying to make it a race car so for all the "power" mods that I have done was merely to "keep up with the technology" of the newer cars. Thanks though for your insight.
Racing on the street and putting cars on other GSs has nothing to do with it, go to the track and run your car with stock wheels, then put your 20s on and let me know what you run. The wheels might not be alot heavier but the tires will def be heavier.
THeres nothing special about a GS vs SC or vs anyother car it has an engine/transmission and some wheels everything works about the same, some cars gain more then others from same mods but thats about it.
Rotational mass has effect on everything, strap some 10lbs weights to your feet and see if you can run just as fast and how much it will slow you down. Now put 20 lbs in a back pack it will slow you down but you will be able to run faster then with weight straped down to your feet.
My Sc is basicly a decent looking beater i've been moding all kind of cars my whole life, mostly to go faster then to look good so i know little bit about how stuff works and what you need to do. I have seen your dyno charts so i do know what kind of effect "some mods have" since i've never seen a chart of your car bone stock so no one really knows what it made stock.
Just trying to give you advise and not being ignorant, you dont have to take my advise or somone elses advise, its your car you do what you feel like doing. All i'm saying is you have a real strong running car, one of strongest bolt on gs400s on this board and youre slowing it down.
Old 06-07-09, 09:01 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Vossen VVS084 looks more sporty to me, but i like the Vossen VVS082

so i choose the vvso82
Old 06-07-09, 12:35 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Racing on the street and putting cars on other GSs has nothing to do with it, go to the track and run your car with stock wheels, then put your 20s on and let me know what you run. The wheels might not be alot heavier but the tires will def be heavier.
THeres nothing special about a GS vs SC or vs anyother car it has an engine/transmission and some wheels everything works about the same, some cars gain more then others from same mods but thats about it.
Rotational mass has effect on everything, strap some 10lbs weights to your feet and see if you can run just as fast and how much it will slow you down. Now put 20 lbs in a back pack it will slow you down but you will be able to run faster then with weight straped down to your feet.
My Sc is basicly a decent looking beater i've been moding all kind of cars my whole life, mostly to go faster then to look good so i know little bit about how stuff works and what you need to do. I have seen your dyno charts so i do know what kind of effect "some mods have" since i've never seen a chart of your car bone stock so no one really knows what it made stock.
Just trying to give you advise and not being ignorant, you dont have to take my advise or somone elses advise, its your car you do what you feel like doing. All i'm saying is you have a real strong running car, one of strongest bolt on gs400s on this board and youre slowing it down.
I apologize if I came off like an idiot. I know what you are saying also...I personally have never dyno'd my car bone stock but the dyno I did last year where I pulled a max of 267whp; earlier that day I did some baseline runs before he hooked up and tuned my Neo. My car was right around 251whp just with an intake and exhaust (fresh; meaning it hasn't been running on the dyno for a while). So people indicate that a stock GS4 will dyno at around 235-245whp. I assume that mine could have been in the 240-245 range (assuming that my intake and exhaust added 5-10whp).

So with my current mods I added around 35-45whp more. Off the line is even a greater difference because of the torque multiplication effects of the PI TC ("if" and when I can get the power down to the ground that is).

Thanks for the advice. and no hard feelings!
Old 06-07-09, 04:13 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I apologize if I came off like an idiot. I know what you are saying also...I personally have never dyno'd my car bone stock but the dyno I did last year where I pulled a max of 267whp; earlier that day I did some baseline runs before he hooked up and tuned my Neo. My car was right around 251whp just with an intake and exhaust (fresh; meaning it hasn't been running on the dyno for a while). So people indicate that a stock GS4 will dyno at around 235-245whp. I assume that mine could have been in the 240-245 range (assuming that my intake and exhaust added 5-10whp).

So with my current mods I added around 35-45whp more. Off the line is even a greater difference because of the torque multiplication effects of the PI TC ("if" and when I can get the power down to the ground that is).

Thanks for the advice. and no hard feelings!
I think its more like 20-25rwhp, dont asume you most likely have a "ringer" and should be greatful for it. If i were you i would buy a set of nitto drag radials for 16" rims, you can get them used cheap and hit up the track, i wont be surprized youd be #1 fastest on bolt on Gs400 list. I know the track is far but i think its worth spending 2 hours and 200 bucks max to say youve done it. where do you live and do you know what the elevation of your closest 1/4 miles track is?
Old 06-07-09, 06:11 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I think its more like 20-25rwhp, dont asume you most likely have a "ringer" and should be greatful for it. If i were you i would buy a set of nitto drag radials for 16" rims, you can get them used cheap and hit up the track, i wont be surprized youd be #1 fastest on bolt on Gs400 list. I know the track is far but i think its worth spending 2 hours and 200 bucks max to say youve done it. where do you live and do you know what the elevation of your closest 1/4 miles track is?
....going off topic of my thread but...

I live in Eastern Long Island (NY) and I believe the nearest track is in PA. Not sure about elevation or anything out there.

As far as my gains go...I don't fell like I am guessing too much on these numbers because for a FACT I recently dyno'd at 281whp and for a fact I once did baseline runs (with intake and exhaust) and got ~ 251whp. So, I think it is safe to say that my mods DID generation at least 35whp from what a bone stock GS4 (no intake and no exhaust) could do.

I have seen and read up on MANY GS4's that dyno'd completely bone stock and MANY get high 230'swhp there were a few that got 243ish and there were some that got around 234 or so. This is why we 2gs owners say the approx. dyno range for a stock V8 GS is (could be) anywhere from 235-245whp depending on how well it is/was maintained.
Old 06-07-09, 06:58 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...guys, I have another wheel that I like. What about these or any other Asanti model?

Asanti (3pc forged)
19X8.5
19X10
They didn't indicate the offset though...mentioned that it would fit a G35 or 350Z. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Opinions needed on 20" wheels-btrhqh-mk-kgrhgoh-d8ejlll-cywbkjtpij7-q-_1.jpg  
Old 06-07-09, 11:45 PM
YOO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

asanti..... hands down
Old 06-07-09, 11:53 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2-piece GFG/Giovanna stuff is definitely heavier than 25 lbs. per wheel. I couldn't find any exact numbers, but 25 lbs is considered "light" for a 20" wheel. The GFG/Giovanna stuff is not weight optimized; my guess that the weight is in the 30-35 lb per wheel range depending on width and offset.

Unsprung weight IS a concern, but there ARE advantages to running bigger wheel & tire set-ups. Ever try to turn a GS on stock 16" wheels & tires? Or put a 14" StopTech brake kit behind stock wheels? Just things to consider.

One other thing to consider: the 245/35-20 & 285/30-20 tires are about 1" taller than the stock tires, so you are also changing the effective final drive. This is partly why I prefer shorter 20" tires on the GS, like 245/30-20 & 285/25-20; these are closer to the stock O.D. and in most cases the tires are lighter, too.

The Vossen wheels are not particularly light. They can chime in here on the specifics.

All that being said, I run 20" wheels on my GS and I love the set up!
Old 06-08-09, 05:57 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The 2-piece GFG/Giovanna stuff is definitely heavier than 25 lbs. per wheel. I couldn't find any exact numbers, but 25 lbs is considered "light" for a 20" wheel. The GFG/Giovanna stuff is not weight optimized; my guess that the weight is in the 30-35 lb per wheel range depending on width and offset.

Unsprung weight IS a concern, but there ARE advantages to running bigger wheel & tire set-ups. Ever try to turn a GS on stock 16" wheels & tires? Or put a 14" StopTech brake kit behind stock wheels? Just things to consider.

One other thing to consider: the 245/35-20 & 285/30-20 tires are about 1" taller than the stock tires, so you are also changing the effective final drive. This is partly why I prefer shorter 20" tires on the GS, like 245/30-20 & 285/25-20; these are closer to the stock O.D. and in most cases the tires are lighter, too.

The Vossen wheels are not particularly light. They can chime in here on the specifics.

All that being said, I run 20" wheels on my GS and I love the set up!

Thanks for your advice and to the rest of you guys! I am still considering 19's although 20's seem real nice. What would you do if you were me? Keep in mind that I live in New York with horrible roads, granted I don't live in NYC so the roads here on L.I. aren't as bad but they are still pretty bad. I don't know how much harsher the ride will be with 20's especially if I go your route with a shorter 20" tire.

Also, do the 245/30/20 tires (up front) have the same sidewall hieght as a 245/35/19? Only reason why I ask is because I already know what the 245/35/19 feels like on the road as those were the tires that were on my previous set of 19's and it wasn't THAT bad of a ride...definitely manageble here on L.I. Reagrdless if I go with 19" or 20" wheels I think I will stick to 275's in the rear, reason being is because I really don't want to get into fender modding; any suggestions?

You too would suggest the Asanti's over my other choices? They should be the lightest wheel (same size vs. same size) among all the wheels, right? I ALWAYS loved your ride and it is a VERY classy setup! Thanks again!
Old 06-08-09, 08:16 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...guys, I have another wheel that I like. What about these or any other Asanti model?

Asanti (3pc forged)
19X8.5
19X10
They didn't indicate the offset though...mentioned that it would fit a G35 or 350Z. What do you think?

I like these but I would save a little more money and get a set of ZONES or HRES
Old 06-08-09, 09:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
I like these but I would save a little more money and get a set of ZONES or HRES
lol. Yeah, I have to agree with you it's just that I am already "pushing it" with the wife (married for 6 weeks so far) to spend this $$$. I don't want to go too crazy because these wheels and the install of my bodykit will be the LAST thing I do to this GS as I and her both feel we want to start saving a lot more and gear up for a family. I gotta draw the line somewhere. I will keep this GS for another 2 years at most.
Old 06-13-09, 04:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

lol. Yeah, I have to agree with you it's just that I am already "pushing it" with the wife (married for 6 weeks so far) to spend this $$$. I don't want to go too crazy because these wheels and the install of my bodykit will be the LAST thing I do to this GS as I and her both feel we want to start saving a lot more and gear up for a family. I gotta draw the line somewhere. I will keep this GS for another 2 years at most.
we on the boards our your family. ditch the broad and build your car. trust us...
we'll never tell you not to build