GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any tips for getting Lexus Corporate to help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 08:07 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Any tips for getting Lexus Corporate to help?

So at 85K miles, my '01 GS430 does indeed need a new transmission - this will be its fourth. More details here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post4541769

Since I am out of the powertrain warranty, I have to rely on Lexus Corporate to help me out.

I have told them that this car needing four transmission in 85K miles is a clear indication of something being wrong with the car from the outset, that no one I talked to has ever heard of such a thing, etc etc. So far, all they have offered is to cover 15% out of the $3K repair.

I am having a chat with the supervisor there today. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might tell them to get them to see my side of it and to chip in for more (dealer service advisor he would have expected more like 50/50).

Thanks!
Old 06-08-09, 08:14 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes keep calling them everyday till you get what you want
Old 06-08-09, 08:18 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this is an ongoing problem, they should work with you. However, it takes a lot of talking to get them to chip in. You just have to keep on calling and wear them down more or less. Did they find anything with the other transmissions that would lead to why they are being cooked?
Old 06-08-09, 08:25 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

wow first let me say that i am sorry that you have to go through this... if everyone was having tranny probs, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad... but most GS trannys that i know of are usually pretty bulletproof and last well past their expected cycle...

what i would recommend is that you continue with the approach that you currently are taking... and personally i don't think you should have to pay 50% of the bill... the tranny was a known issue not once, not twice, not even three times... but a 4th time is ridiculous... continue to work with Lexus Corporate and keep on escalating up the chain of command to get a tranny... granted your 3rd tranny was changed at ~40k miles, this one lasting the longest, that is still premature failure when the rest of us are even 100k-200k+ on original tranny...

did they check to make sure something else is not causing the tranny to fail? i saw in one of your old threads someone mentioned about caked in particles in the lines. or maybe ecu or cooling issues causing the trannyt o overheat and fail?

i would keep at it... but stay calm, cool and collected... and if you get no where with Lexus, i would see how much out of pocket you will have to pay.. and weigh that against getting it fixed yourself at a third party... they may even be able to beef up the tranny for you too.. not sure if dr evil supports our tranny's though...
Old 06-08-09, 10:43 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement and the sympathy .

Kamlung, yes, my goal this time around is to try to find the root cause, like a blocked cooler - otherwise I am going to seriously consider selling the car, after fixing the tranny ... Replacing the tranny more frequently than I replace the brakes is not my idea of fun.

I keep talking to Ashley at Lexus Corporate, who keeps hammering back the same words "sir, you are out of warranty". I cannot get her to listen to the ridiculousness of the situation, and that the problem was clearly manifested while it was still in warranty.

She keeps saying "we have no record of any transmission maintenance", and I keep saying that I do my own maintenance, and besides, the transmission does not need any scheduled maintenance at 40,000 miles, to which she replies "yes, but we have no records of transmission maintenance" . So I am hoping to get to her supervisor, or anyone who is not a broken record.

Anyone know of someone I should be asking to speak to at Lexus?
Old 06-08-09, 10:46 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

have you also tried writing to lexus corporate?
Old 06-13-09, 04:32 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i would get a attorney and have them take care of it....BUT i hate to break it to you, but after 3 tranny's they probably wont be supplying you a 4th. i dunno all the details but i have read your posts before and im 99.9% they gonna try to blame it on you and i cant 100% say i disagree with that thought. most of us know the gs's tranny is fairly reliable to several (say 400-500 hp) and i dont even think your pushing that. before you jump out of your seat im not blaming you but i cant see how a car can go through 3 BRAND NEW transmissions in 8 years. assuming you bought it new, you should know its history. i dunno man....just keep bothering them so to speak and maybe hopefully you'll get lucky and get your 4th tranny but try and remain calm and collected when your dealing with them.

good luck sir and let us know