GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm such a Newbie...... here's a stupid question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-02, 07:52 AM
ezlyf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm such a Newbie...... here's a stupid question...

Can someone please tell me what an ECU is? I'm done pretending to myself that I know what you guys are talking about when posting things about that. What does reseting or changing it do??? Please help a newbie.
Old 03-29-02, 08:07 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

No one here is gonna answer that because if u look through the forums, that answer is easily ubtained... try search button as well.. cmon man I mean we have alot of information, but whats the point of having it if someones gonna ask every time... im not flaming you, but you'll understand when u are on here longer... Anyways Welcome to the club
Old 03-29-02, 09:54 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Au contraire, ShowGS, I'll answer.

ECU stands for electronic control unit. Your car has several. The two that you'll read about most frequently are for the power steering programming (easily changed DIY with the L-Tuned version) and a far more extensive one that basically functions as the brains of the drivetrain, adjusting ignition timing (as frequently as every firing cycle for each plug), transmission response, fuel/air metering, etc etc etc. This is the one that you read about that gets "reset".

Ain't tech wonderful?!
Old 03-29-02, 10:31 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Question

Yu da man mooretorque........ Way to take care of the rookie.....
\
Rock
Old 03-29-02, 10:50 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default ecu expansion

Most commonly a microprocessor with on-chip non-volatile memory, for firmware, program, storage.

"Ain't tech wonderful?"

Only if you stay far away from the leading (BLEEDING) edge!
Old 03-29-02, 10:53 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

haha thanks alot for making me feel stupid now guys, lolol

ShOwGS
Old 03-29-02, 11:05 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

way to go mooretorque!! fellas, i know sometimes that we get a little tired of people asking questions that have been covered several times, but c'mon. there is no need to be rude or sarcastic (as is seen so much by certain members) when a new guy asks a question. there is something to be said for interaction b/w members........thats what makes this a cool forum. flame me if you want, seeing as i really dont know what flame means (maybe i should try the search button) but if the person only has a few posts, answer his frickin question. takes about the same amount of time as writing a snide remark ill get off my soapbox now, seeing that it tends to get a tad slippery.

Doc
Old 03-29-02, 11:14 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't being Snide nor was I being rude, I was just simply letting the guy know that if he needs to get things answered, instead of asking he should search first, because that is the reason why we go over the same things over and over, whats the point of even saving any of the other posts.... It has nothing to do with the time to answer anything, It has to do with putting a good feature such as "Search" to use, I did that when I first came on Clublexus and it cut down my questions alot, almost everything I was planning on asking, I found it when i searched through the forums, even stuff that I didn't intend on asking but thought was a useful bit of information... didn't mean to sound rude if I did to anyone, so I apologize

ShOwGS
Old 03-29-02, 12:24 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

showgs, what i said about the rudeness and all was not directed towards you. if you felt it was, then i apologize. it was directed at those who may look at the post and feel the need to be sarcastic. i too use the search feature, now. but as a new member, i had no clue that i could find what i now can. and im not saying dont mention using the search, but at least incorporate it into an informative post. holla!!

Doc
Old 03-29-02, 01:05 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DrRick
way to go mooretorque!! fellas, i know sometimes that we get a little tired of people asking questions that have been covered several times, but c'mon. there is no need to be rude or sarcastic (as is seen so much by certain members) when a new guy asks a question. there is something to be said for interaction b/w members........thats what makes this a cool forum. flame me if you want, seeing as i really dont know what flame means (maybe i should try the search button) but if the person only has a few posts, answer his frickin question. takes about the same amount of time as writing a snide remark ill get off my soapbox now, seeing that it tends to get a tad slippery.

Doc
I agree totally regarding the search feature.especially for someone new who wouldnt be familiar with it.Also if everyone used the search feature for every inquiry they had then we would slowly lose content and there will be a lack of new threads,right.So I think the whole search feature should be used in moderation. Jus my 2 cents
Old 03-29-02, 03:51 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
haha thanks alot for making me feel stupid now guys, lolol

ShOwGS
It's not funny. You should feel embarassed. In the time that it took you to blow ezlyf off and prate on about doing a search, you could have answered his question. Yes, these questions are asked frequently, but doing a search on ECU will yield discussion about ECUs but not actually explain what they do, etc. Put yourself in his place. Be a bit more considerate next time. CL is the only place on the Web for anything Lexus-related as far as I'm concerned, and very fortunately, it's also a friendly, fun, and helpful environment. Kinda like a big family. Let's keep it that way.
Old 03-29-02, 04:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

The 'trick' is to answer the question, AND tell the person about search for the future.
Old 03-29-02, 04:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The 'trick' is to answer the question, AND tell the person about search for the future.

right on.
Old 03-29-02, 05:53 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DAMN globe,

I love that running cactus...so cool... You da man...
Old 03-29-02, 06:12 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

It's not funny. You should feel embarassed. In the time that it took you to blow ezlyf off and prate on about doing a search, you could have answered his question. Yes, these questions are asked frequently, but doing a search on ECU will yield discussion about ECUs but not actually explain what they do, etc. Put yourself in his place. Be a bit more considerate next time. CL is the only place on the Web for anything Lexus-related as far as I'm concerned, and very fortunately, it's also a friendly, fun, and helpful environment. Kinda like a big family. Let's keep it that way.
wantAnewLex: Thanks man, I'm glad someone finally broke it down! this topic is also a thread in the lobby area a few days back which has 26 posts so far. I posted my feelings there...

Badbtsz4u: Good point! I agree with you 100%. If everyone started using the Search Feature before asking a question, new threads would slowly disappear. Club Lexus would become a huge encyclopedia of "Q&A" with no interaction between members.

ShowGSLuVv: The search feature is a great feature but it's not mandatory. It's there if we need to use it. We shouldn't have to always search first then ask. "Mooretorque" answered his question probably faster than him swimming through pages of ECU replies using the Search Feature. Anyway, as long as Club Lexus is up and running, and getting bigger, we will always have new & old members posting repeat questions...that's life.

Quick Reply: I'm such a Newbie...... here's a stupid question...