GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

stock air box mod idea??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 01:22 PM
blaknight
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock air box mod idea??

I tried searching for this and couldn't find anything so sorry if this has already been discussed..

Would it be worth my time to try and port a hole somewhere in the stock air box of my gs400 and run a tube down near the fog lamp to ram more/cooler air into the stock set-up?? of course this idea would also be combined with a high flow drop in air filter of some kind..

I've heard that the design of our stock air box set up is really good so it seems like it would work even better with the added benefit of more/cooler air..

If anyone would like to chime in on this idea please give me some feedback because I have more than enough time to try this and would be willing to post the results.

Or if anyone has already tried this I would love to hear about your experience with it
Old 06-14-09, 01:58 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

thats exactly what I had on my GS300 lolz...just did it like two days ago here they are,

Stock airbox with a 1.5" tube drilled,

Pre-heater hose,

Andy
Old 06-14-09, 02:02 PM
blaknight
Rookie

Very cool!! Have you noticed any difference in performance or sound??

What did you use to connect the tube into the whole you drilled into the box??
Old 06-14-09, 02:09 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

you cant barely hear the sound unless u roll your window down..and yes the car pull stronger on the top end (around 80 90 mph)...Im pretty sure your will pull stronger cause your is V8 mine is just V6. I get u back on the glue thingy I forgot what it calls lolz but its hard like steel . you can see that I painted to black to match the airbox too...you should do it... it looks completley stock no one will notice unless you point out.

Andy
Old 06-14-09, 02:58 PM
SPL FREEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Im gonna do the same mod...
Old 06-14-09, 03:39 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol at that dinky *** hole in the air box. Might as well have made it using a straw. :P
Old 06-14-09, 03:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro09
you cant barely hear the sound unless u roll your window down..and yes the car pull stronger on the top end (around 80 90 mph)...Im pretty sure your will pull stronger cause your is V8 mine is just V6. I get u back on the glue thingy I forgot what it calls lolz but its hard like steel . you can see that I painted to black to match the airbox too...you should do it... it looks completley stock no one will notice unless you point out.

Andy
its not a v-6 its a inline 6.....and im curious. what did u use at the end of the hose that is attached to your bumper? also wonder why if u diud this didnt u make it like 2" or 3"? jw....interested i should say
Old 06-14-09, 05:39 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
its not a v-6 its a inline 6.....and im curious. what did u use at the end of the hose that is attached to your bumper? also wonder why if u diud this didnt u make it like 2" or 3"? jw....interested i should say
my bad I should have say I6 ...the thing that I used at the end of the hose is one of those Vaccumm cleaner (not sure what is called) but you can get it from home depot or you can leave the hose like that behind the bumper but I did mine like that because I think it looks nice that way. You cant really notice from a distance...Again you can attach almost anything you want as long as the air go through...I found mine in the garage so yea and you can mount that wherever you want...Again there are thousand different ways to do this but hey whatever float your boat right ?

Andy

Last edited by Euro09; 06-14-09 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-14-09, 05:56 PM
blaknight
Rookie

Yeah I think I'm going to go with a 3in hole in my box because I went to autozone today and they make a 3 inch plastic/expandable tube which would be perfect for this project and is only like $19.99 or something. I know plastic will be good to use because it won't get as hot as metals, thus cooler/ more dense air

I'm excited to try this and hoping for some solid results!!!
Old 06-14-09, 06:13 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blaknight
Yeah I think I'm going to go with a 3in hole in my box because I went to autozone today and they make a 3 inch plastic/expandable tube which would be perfect for this project and is only like $19.99 or something. I know plastic will be good to use because it won't get as hot as metals, thus cooler/ more dense air

I'm excited to try this and hoping for some solid results!!!
Make sure u get the right one ....those area are hot and dont get it too big its hard to route through the space check with your car first before you buy it . The one I bought is design for air hose you can see it from the cover (pics above). I think they have 2" hose which I think is perfect. Dont forget to take some pics when u done.

Andy

Last edited by Euro09; 06-14-09 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-14-09, 06:47 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

pretty interesting. this is definitely something i'd be willing to try out.
Old 06-14-09, 06:50 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jspecdan
pretty interesting. this is definitely something i'd be willing to try out.
why not ? its a cheap mods...if u dont like it put it back to stock ..it didnt really hurts.

Andy
Old 06-14-09, 07:34 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've actually done something like this before. It was back in 2006-7 when I was part of the Spectre Performance "Power Adder" experiment when they were trying to make systems for particular cars.

The gains weren't enough and it didn't keep the CEL away so they decided to scrap it.

This shows their prototype style tubing down to the filter

This shows the tubing down to the foglight area

here is a front view with it on

and a shot of it closer right under the power adder decal

Old 06-14-09, 07:50 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Couldn't you just use a heat gun and stick a metal bar and expand the stock intake? I might do something like this, since I'm in Cali, I might have to find a different spot to do cold air tubing. Also, does it suck in water? Unless the water is too heavy.
Old 06-15-09, 06:50 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with carbongs 100%! I did several "versions" of this type of mod about 2-3 years ago.

My experiences with my GS400. At that time only had the TM plugs, K&N FIPK intake and Borla exhaust

1st setup- bought additional mandrel bent 3.5" intake piping and adapters to "extend" my K&N intake down behind the passenger foglight; had to cut a 3.5" hole downward in the sheetmetal behind the headlight to fit piping. The air filter was just off to the right of the passenger foglight where I removed a piece of plastic/foam by the lower air dam. It gave a full ram air effect.

Pros:
-I feel like it lost low-end torque but "kicked-in all at once" once the RPM's started to climb; almost like a turbo feel and pulled nice up top and on the highway.

Cons:
-I was getting a cel perhaps because of the length and or diameter of the piping; i.e. too much air coming in and the MAF couldn't keep up. So it may have been making a lean condition on my car.
-Engine is now susceptable to hydrolock if I would run over a deep puddle or something as the air filter was only 6" from the pavement.
-Air filter get considerably dirtier MUCH faster because it is subject to more debris due to being so low to the ground.

***update***
I tried this mod again when I first installed my Apexi neo A/F controller last year figuring that it would "cure" the cel code with this setup. Nope, as soon as I re-installed this setup the cel went on within 10 minutes where before I was code free for roughly a full year previous to this. Decided to give up permanently on this mod.

2nd setup- Left the K&N FIPK intake setup as it was intended; filter under the hood. I made an enclosure (not out of metal because I wanted to keep the hot engine bay heat away) and boxed off a little area with just the filter portion in the box.

Pros:
-No loss in low-end torque but and felt a little something on the highway.
-No cel codes
-Looks clean under the hood
-Air filter stays cleaner, longer

Cons:
-Intake growl definitely muzzled; a lot quieter under WOT

Overall, I liked this setup but I took this custom "air box" apart for a re-design and never got a chance to finish it. lol

3rd setup- used the mandrel bent 3.5" intake piping that I used on my first setup and re-routed down behind the passenger foglight through the 3.5" hole cut-out previously made. The air filter was in the normal intake location under the hood and I simply boxed off a little area (creating a type of airbox environment) and had the piping go into this "airbox" from underneath. I figured that it would give a little more power up top on highway runs.

Pros:
-No loss in low-end torque but didn't feel any real difference at all either on the highway.
-No cel codes

Cons:
-None really, just was a PITA trying to keep the pipe secured on it's own as now it was NOT connected to the intake itself; it was just a pipe hanging there by itself trying to scoop up some additional air.

I figured I'd share my experiences to help out...GL!

Oh, to the OP like everyone else said you need MUCH bigger piping to make ANY difference.

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 06-15-09 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: stock air box mod idea??