GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

a/c compressor turns off at stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 06:52 PM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a compressor and expansion valve combo in the classifieds. Good luck.
Old 06-18-09, 06:59 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I just put a compressor and expansion valve combo in the classifieds. Good luck.
I think the compressor for the GS3 is different than the GS4.

By the way, what are the expansion valves? Aren't those part of the compressor?
Old 06-18-09, 07:44 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

No sir, it is another integral part of the A/C system. That in all regards should be changed when servicing the compressor.

Don't do the compressor without this, (most shops won't do it any other way)...
Old 06-18-09, 08:26 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jhill20
No sir, it is another integral part of the A/C system. That in all regards should be changed when servicing the compressor.

Don't do the compressor without this, (most shops won't do it any other way)...
Crap, where are they located? I just bought a used compressor and figured that was all I needed. What's the downside to just replacing the compressor and all of the parts that are attached to it?

e
Old 06-19-09, 06:51 AM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man
I think the compressor for the GS3 is different than the GS4.

By the way, what are the expansion valves? Aren't those part of the compressor?
You are correct, different compressors. Sorry about that.

The EV is about $119 from the dealer. Sparkplugs.com sells the actual Denso part; same as the dealer for $36.05. The problem is, so I am told, the entire dash has to come off to change it, which by the service book is 7 hours of labor.
Old 06-19-09, 07:52 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Can someone tell me what the "air inlet door servomotor circuit" is? When I run the climate control diagnostics, I am getting a code 42, and that's what it's referring to.

In thinking back through all of this, the problems started on the day my hood latch cable stuck. I sprayed some WD-40 on the hood latch under the hood to try to lube things up a bit. Within a few days, I started hearing this tapping noise (like a baseball card in bicycle spokes), and with two weeks, my a/c stopped working at stoplights. Interestingly, it still works on the highway. Is it possible that this "air inlet door" got WD-40 on it and is stuck partially shut and the compressor is only getting enough air at highway speeds?

I'm all ears. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

e
Old 06-19-09, 07:25 PM
jhill20
Lead Lap

So this helps open some "doors" here, pardon the pun, into what may be happening. Sounds like you have a problem with your fresh air/recirculation door motor.

So let me start with saying that I've yet to see this problem on this car personally yet.

The code is telling you that there is a problem in the servo or motor ckt for the air inlet door. Which could mean a couple of things.

1. Electrical

2. Servo/motor malfunction

3. HVAC case/box issues. (you don't want this)

Here's what happens on alot of cars. There is a HVAC housing or case, (made of plastic) that houses the evaporator, the heater core, the blower motor, and all of the doors and pathways that allow you to have air at all of the specific vents throughout the vehicle. The doors are also plastic hinged into the case by plastic. With all of the movement these parts do sometimes one of the three plastic pieces fails, either the door itself or the box breaks where the door attaches. The motor then is actuated and basically over rotates and can set various codes including what your seeing.

Remember I have never fixed a GS with this problem. But from what your describing it sounds very close fit if not leading you in the right direction...
Old 06-19-09, 09:05 PM
e-man
Pole Position

So this helps open some "doors" here, pardon the pun, into what may be happening. Sounds like you have a problem with your fresh air/recirculation door motor.

So let me start with saying that I've yet to see this problem on this car personally yet.

The code is telling you that there is a problem in the servo or motor ckt for the air inlet door. Which could mean a couple of things.

1. Electrical

2. Servo/motor malfunction

3. HVAC case/box issues. (you don't want this)

Here's what happens on alot of cars. There is a HVAC housing or case, (made of plastic) that houses the evaporator, the heater core, the blower motor, and all of the doors and pathways that allow you to have air at all of the specific vents throughout the vehicle. The doors are also plastic hinged into the case by plastic. With all of the movement these parts do sometimes one of the three plastic pieces fails, either the door itself or the box breaks where the door attaches. The motor then is actuated and basically over rotates and can set various codes including what your seeing.

Remember I have never fixed a GS with this problem. But from what your describing it sounds very close fit if not leading you in the right direction...
That makes perfect sense, it's just that it's inconsistent with what the dealer says and with what I'm observing/hearing. The dealer says that I have two bad "read" valves, that the read valves are located internally within the compressor, and that the entire compressor needs to be replaced. Moreover, today I had the hood open and I was listening to the grinding noise that the car has been making (think baseball card in bicycle spoke), and it's coming right from the area where the compressor is mounted. If there is a problem with the air inlet door recirc door (which I think is located somewhere behind the glove box, right?).

I called the dealer first thing this morning to tell them about the diagnostic code, and spoke to my service advisor who promised she would talk to the technician and get back to me. Unfortunately, I didn't get a call back.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help. I'll keep this thread posted with any developments. Please let me know if you can think of anything else.

e
Old 06-21-09, 11:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

this one ALMOST never fails though

i have check my DIY....