GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Few questions before I buy my GS...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 01:34 PM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions before I buy my GS...

I am about to purchase a GS300 and have narrowed it down to a few that are for sale. I like it in any color (the ones available are red, silver, black), but am wondering which one holds up better over time. For instance...I once read(not sure what car this was about mind you) that you could easily see chips in the black paint bc the base color was silver. Has anyone ran into this or similar problems before or have any other tips on which paint color holds up best over wear and tear? I am spending a little more than I should right now to get a GS, so I'd like it to be as worry free and beautiful as long as possible.

Also, I saw something about a clear car bra on the forums I think. What do you guys think of those? I live in CT and we have a lot of gravel and stuff that gets kicked up...so I could see this coming in handy, but is it as see through as the ads would like you to believe?

Another difference between models is that I would prefer an after market CD player so I could play mp3 cds, be ipod ready, and make it easier to install subs or better speakers in the future. I have read it's complicated and expensive to do prior to '01 models, which the ones I'm looking at are. However...HOW expensive is expensive? If I get a car w/stock audio for 2000 USD cheaper, I'm sure installing a double din, cd player, etc. etc. couldn't cost more?

I don't know much about cars and this will be my first real auto purchase(besides buying what I had to do to get to point A and B) and appreicate any help you guys can give me.

I'll make sure to post pics once I make a purchase. You guys probably forgot what stock GS300's looked like by now lol.
Old 06-17-09, 02:47 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just choose whatever color u like...end of story haha
Old 06-17-09, 03:41 PM
edinburger
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a list of things to check when viewing a series II GS300. If you are unsure about checking these items it is recommended that you get an independent inspection carried out.

Wheel vibration – The GS300 is sensitive to front wheel balance. Make sure you test drive the vehicle at 70-80mph (where appropriate).

Front brake discs – These are prone to warping if wheel nuts are not tightened in the correct order and to the correct torque. Any steering wobble under light braking from 60mph indicates a problem.

Ball joints – Perform full lock turns and try to drive over speed bumps and listen out of knocking noise or loose steering feel.

Wind noise – Check for noise at 70mph around sunroof, door, mirror and windscreen.

Door sensors – Open each door in turn and check the door open warning light illuminates on the dashboard. A problem with a sensor is costly as they are integrated into the door lock mechanism.

Battery – When starting the engine should turn over very fast. If the car struggles to turn over may indicate a problem with the battery.

Sat Nav version – If the vehicle is fitted with Satellite Navigation then check the CD version. A DVD based system will contain all road data but newer versions support enhanced features. :

LCD display - For non Sat Nav vehicles check the stereo and heating LCD displays for any missing segments.

Power Steering Cooler - Check power steering cooler, located in front of the bottom part of the radiator, for corrosion/leaks.

Pre facelift only - 1998 to Sep 2000

Master Keys - The vehicle should come with two master keys and one sub key (valet). You need a master key to have additional keys programmed, without such a key the engine ECU has to be replaced to obtain a new key Do not purchase a car without a master key and if it only has one master key then obtain another one ASAP

To determine if a key is a master or not insert it into the ignition, the security light should be off. If you insert a sub key the security light will illuminate for 1 or 2 seconds before going out. Master keys will also normally have three buttons and be able to lock the boot and glovebox. Sub keys only have two buttons, missing the remote boot release.

Brake Master Cylinder/Booster - With engine running repeatedly press brake pedal until brake booster pump can be heard running. Allow pump to turn off, around 30 seconds, and repear several times making sure no VSC or ABS warning lights appear or alarms heard.
Brake booster is a common failure and currently the only known cure is a full master cylinder with pump replacement .
Old 06-17-09, 04:09 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

there are so many things to look into when going into this.

let start with
Color:
as far as color any color can last and be beautiful and vibrant after many years as long as it is properly taken care of.

Audio:
if you plan on changing out your stereo for an upgraded screen or what not you might as well not go with the cars with navi because you would be replacing it anyways and that would be the wiring issue probably. whereas if you find one with a mark levinson or something like that it would probably be easier.

Clear Bra
this is a great product and once again this is something that you would need to take care of or else it could look ugly on the car as well.. a before installing it it would probably be best if you got the front end repainted because there is no use installing a clear bra on an already chipped up front end. so you have to decide whether that is worth it to you or not. for most people, rock chips are inevitable, just try to be as careful as you can.

Other things to think about
what do you plan on doing with the car? do you want performance? or just a nice car to cruise around in? GS300 are nice cars to cruise in however they are far from being powerhouses and even with full bolt on accessories it isnt gonna smoke other cars, so if speed it your goal you may want to look more towards a GS4xx. the V8's on those are a lot beefier and pack a lot more punch, however they also burn more gas.

once you have decided that you should look at the different generations. they may all look relatively the same from the untrained eye but the 98-00 models do have slight differences from the 01-05 models. some examples are the headlights are green tint and the taillights have a totally different look, the later model GS3's come with a engine cover and so on and so forth. Also there is the Sportdesign model which is more rare and has a ton of different options with that as well.

there are tons of more things to look into when purchasing but here is just a quick overview that you may want to use the SEARCH tool if you have further questions about the differences in the models.. good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-17-09, 05:35 PM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help guys...especially that checklist of issues.

As I had stated...I like all the colors. I don't care what one I get it in, I just wanted to know if any seemed to look better after 10yrs of age. Especially since my mothers 99 GS400 in black doesn't look as new as the more popular silver colored ones I see all the time.

One last question...the stock spoiler...if I decided to remove that, would it just need some paint or more extensive body work than that?
Old 06-18-09, 07:54 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

well i own a white GS3 and it is a 99 so it is 10 years old and my stock paint still looks great.. like i said, any color that you purchase can still look immaculate if you take care of it.

as for the stock spoiler. if you decide to remove it there will be holes in your trunk that you will need to have filled with some bondo or something and then painted.. so it is a little more than just paint alone.. but it shouldnt be too overly pricey.. the holes are small
Old 06-18-09, 01:33 PM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Awesome..thanks for the info. This forum is way cooler than the ES forum
Old 06-21-09, 10:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

black/white gs's do tend to show paint damage easier though
Old 06-21-09, 11:10 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Never on any of the black cars I've owned. (I just became part of the swirl-free crew now lol!)
Old 06-21-09, 11:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Never on any of the black cars I've owned. (I just became part of the swirl-free crew now lol!)
<~~~still have swirls havent worked on my car in weeks
Old 06-21-09, 09:35 PM
mustafakha
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a great checklist... I did not do all those checks when I bought my GS .. ehehhe... but I am doing just fine...